PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question about mold

ddeaton
02-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I have not cast anything but soft round ball in a while and getting back into shooting and casting. :Fire: I have a Rapine 454 200 gr hollow base flat nose mold. I cant remember what the heck I bought it for. I would think for my 45 LC, but 200 gr is a little light? I think I was going to load up some light loads with black powder. I am ranting and hope someone will tell me I am on the right track. I was wanting to do some black powder shooting out of my 6 shooter at one time.

opentop
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure how that hollow base would work with black Powder. YOU DO NOT WANT AN AIR SPACE BETWEEN THE POWDER AND BULLET! I'd be afraid the HB would create an air pocket.

ddeaton
02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
good point. I have never reloaded black powder cartridges yet. How do you regulate the charge in a bp cartridge then? I guess I should move this post to the proper thread.

opentop
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
To load BP cartridges, fill the case with enough black powder so the bullet slightly compresses the powder. Just make sure you don’t have any airspace in there. You also want to lube with SPG or compatible. The petroleum based lubes will foul and gum up with black powder.

Hope this helps.

runfiverun
02-27-2008, 10:48 PM
they used hollow base boolits plenty with black powder [minnie ball] 455 eley.
not a bp guy but those are 2 iam sure of
you could also use modern data with those boolits they will do okay

ddeaton
02-27-2008, 11:04 PM
They look like a bugger to cast. Maybe not, just the extra step with the bottom plug in the way. I cant wait to cast them

Wayne Smith
02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
What's a Mini Ball but a hollow based boolit over BP? Just no cartridge to hold it all together, just the chamber of the gun. Hollow based boolits in the heel bulleted cartridges were used with BP routinely. They were needed to bump the inside the case bullet up to the barrel size.