PDA

View Full Version : lee slug molds

hornsurgeon
02-27-2008, 12:57 AM
has anyone here used the lee 12ga slug mold? how is it for accuracy and with what load?

Huntsman
02-27-2008, 09:49 PM
I have the 1oz slug mould, I can't say much for accuracy but the load was;
Win AA hull, Win AA white wad and 36.0grs of Herco powder. These really spread out at 50yds like +8". I guess I could try a different powder? I should mention too that I'm using a RCT (rifled choke tube) on my Win 1200.

oso
02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I use the 7/8 oz slug in a gray wad in AA hulls over 22 grains of PB for a sweet load, change that propellant to HS6 up to 35 gr max for a serious load. Both loads will keep 'em on a paper plate @ 30 yds with my Rem 870, IC or Skeet barrels.

Huntsman
02-29-2008, 11:42 AM
My next venture is to try my loads in my Mossberg 590 smoothbore to see if the it makes a difference?

m stevenson
04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I cast the 1 oz Lee, and get better results than huntsman is getting. I don't claim to be an expert with these but this is my experience with them.
One thing I found was the wad would get pushed up into the hollow base of the slug, and cause terrible accuracy. This wouldn't happen all the time, but you could tell the one's that did, they would howl/buzz on their way down range.
The solution to that was to use an aluminum card wad punched/cut from a pop can under the slug.
I tried filling the hollow base of the slug with RTV silicone too, but the aluminum card was easier.
I don't have my load info right now, but I believe it was right out of the Lee mold pamphlet? 800X? and a WAAF1 wad in a AA hull?
I got 4-5" @ 100yds shooting it in a Mossberg 835 w/ a Mossberg cantilever slug barrel and a Burris 2 3/4x scope.

My Dad's rifled Hastings cantilever scoped 1100 Rem does even better, 3 -4" groups.
This gun does 2-3" regularly with Win. Supreme sabot slugs.

A smoothbore cylinder choked 1100 of my buddies will do 6-9" w/ clamp on Tru glo sights.

Dixie Slugs
04-13-2008, 12:05 PM
The best wad we have found for the Lee Key Slug is the Federal 12 ga 12S3...no ribs inside the wad. Use hard 20 ga nitros under the slug to adjust wad column. Cast the slug hard and heat treat it.
Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs

kjg
04-19-2008, 08:07 PM
man Dixie slugs is a wealth of info thanks for your input, you mentioned a 20 ga nitros, is that a wad of sorts, gots me afalot of question about shotguns, and don't know were to begin.kjg

Blammer
04-19-2008, 08:39 PM
nitro's are the ones labeled number 2 in the pic, those are 20 ga in the pic

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Slug%20data/DSCN5804_num.jpg

kjg
04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
alright thanks, who has the best prices for them, thanks. kjg

blysmelter
04-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Anyone loading slugs using Vithavouri powder? US-made powders are scarce here in Norway, so we are kind of stuck with VV for shotgun/pistol powder.

felix
04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Blysmelter, call them up, email, etc., and ask about how their 300 series powders shoot when tightly compressed. i.e., slow down or speed up. For example, compress 320. Does it shoot like 310, itself as 320, or 330? Now find a commensurate on the powder burn charts, and use data for the alternate brand you have data for. ... felix

wiljen
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Anyone loading slugs using Vithavouri powder? US-made powders are scarce here in Norway, so we are kind of stuck with VV for shotgun/pistol powder.

The only published shotshell data for VV powders that I know of is the new lyman shell manual. Ask on shotgunworld.com and somebody there might quote you some slug loads as I haven't bought it yet.

Dave Berryhill
04-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Does the "key drive" feature prevent the slug from expanding like a typical Foster slug? The photo on Lee's website doesn't show very much detail.

I was wondering if boring the Lee mold out to a larger diameter (if that is possible) and loading them like a Foster slug with an over-powder wad and hard nitro wads would give better accuracy?

The Lee molds cost less than a Lyman mold and I wouldn't be afraid to experiment on it.

skeptic
05-25-2008, 09:37 PM
OK....Flamesuit On

Bought 100 shells of Federal 11/8 oz #7 at Walmart for $16. Took them home and opened up the shell dumped out the shot, dropped a 130 20ga Nitro in and a Lee 1oz (.957oz) slug in the wad and recrimped on my cheapy Loadall.

Out of my 590A1 (cyl bore) the accuracy was suprisingly good at 3" @ 75 yards. Ghost ring sight. off a bench. 6" 10 shot group standing. I was shocked. I'm still shocked.

I am going to get the chrony out tomorrow but they felt a little more stout then a reduced recoil but nowhere near a Wolf Power Slug.

I cant buy components any cheaper than this and I loaded up one shell in about every 2 minutes.

So whats the big deal??? seriously

I kid you not the accuracy was impressive out of that $18 mold. WW Drop quenched. .675ish

What is the downside....fill me in because I dont see it. I have been loading and casting pistol and rifle carts for decades but just recently started researching shotshell, specifically slug and buckshot.
I see NO anomalies regarding the hull or brass or primer or anything.
I was just looking to load a slug that I could practice with, not expecting any accuracy.
Heck I wouldn't be affraid to hunt with this.

By the way ...anybody need any #7 shot.

Blammer
05-25-2008, 11:45 PM
if you're giving the shot away I'll take it.

skeptic
05-26-2008, 12:11 AM
if you're giving the shot away I'll take it.

I'll keep that in mind.

Any thought on the above mentioned recipe?

Blammer
05-26-2008, 10:42 AM
I think that is a great idea on the above recipe!

If it works, it's cheap enough and accurate! I'd snarf as much of that ammo as I could!

Shure cheaper than slug ammo!

turbo1889
05-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Skeptic, what your doing is just fine. It is completely legitimate to load the Lee 1-oz. and 7/8-oz. slugs with load data intended for the equivalent weight of shot. I do it all the time and so do a lot of other people. In fact there has actually been pressure tests done on this sort of arrangement that clearly show that if anything pressure goes down not up when substituting equal weight slugs in shot load data. The theory is that the loose shot due to a factor known as "shot set back" actually has more resistance to the acceleration forces then a solid slug. As I understand it your substituting a 1-oz. slug for 1-1/8oz. of shot so you should be will within the green zone as far as pressures on your loads.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that some shot wads just won't stand up to the hard mass of the slug and get mutilated and thus degrade accuracy. Using a 20ga. or 16ga. card wad under the slug inside the wad as you are doing helps with this problem. In addition the Federal "S" series wads with the very strong crush section handle slug loads very well.

skeptic
05-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Thank You sir for the reply and insight into what is a new direction for me as a reloader.

I must say I have found this sight extremely rich in resource and experience. I have read every post relating to my project.

I may have come off a bit arrogant in retrospect but it was in fact excitement at the results of my first attempt on this platform .

I appreciate and respect the wealth of experience and hard work ot those who contribute and share on this site.

Thanks to all who unknowingly encourage green shotshell loaders like myself to persue this rewarding hobby.

Thanks
skeptic

Blammer
05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Keep at it! It's a bunch of fun!

waydownsouth
05-30-2008, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=Dave Berryhill;326652]
Does the "key drive" feature prevent the slug from expanding like a typical Foster slug? The photo on Lee's website doesn't show very much detail.

no the drive key dosn't stop them from expanding at all and they will expand to about twice the size when made from pure lead not sure what they do when made from ww.

as for accuracy at 50 yards free hand with a smoothbore and bead sight i can hit a 18 inch target 9 out of 10 times not up to bench rest standards but it is a smooth bore

my favorite load is winchester super x hulls waa12 wad and 28.5 gr (ADI) ap70n
and i will be adding a card under the slug next time i reload

blysmelter
05-30-2008, 10:25 AM
So whats the big deal???

My problem is the fact that lead-shot is banned here in Norway.

turbo1889
05-30-2008, 08:32 PM
This post deleted by original poster.

I am in process of deleting everything I have ever posted about casting with zinc because I have decided I will not share any of the knowledge I have learned over the years about casting with zinc due to the bloodthirsty prejudiced posts of some members on this forum viciously attacking those who cast with zinc. I will not share my knowledge with the enemy.

clodhopper
06-08-2008, 12:15 AM
4Moa groups at 100 yards with 1oz slug, Win AA shells "pink" Win AA wads, 4759 powder.
NEF, heavy rifled barrel, 2X scope, bench rest.

44man
06-08-2008, 08:37 AM
The plastic wad is an issue when it comes to accuracy. I have tried all kinds and if you pick them up in front of the bench, you will be amazed at the damage done to them. I have seen some that tried to slide up past the slug, others with petals rubbed off on one side only, etc. I think that is the weak link in handloading slugs.
What we need are wads designed just for slugs, shot wads just don't cut it.

skeptic
06-08-2008, 09:57 AM
The plastic wad is an issue when it comes to accuracy. I have tried all kinds and if you pick them up in front of the bench, you will be amazed at the damage done to them. I have seen some that tried to slide up past the slug, others with petals rubbed off on one side only, etc. I think that is the weak link in handloading slugs.
What we need are wads designed just for slugs, shot wads just don't cut it.

Drop a 20 Ga Nitro card of appropriate thickness in the wad under a hardcast slug (Lee Drive key). You wont believe the difference it makes.

Dixie Slugs
06-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Try the Federal 12S3 wad with a 20 ga nitro under the slug. The buggest problem seemds to be plastic wads that had a rib inside the petal.
Regards, James

blysmelter
06-08-2008, 12:39 PM
How about Zinc ??? Pure zinc (or close too) can be difficult to find but it can be cast in molds intended for lead without any issues. Due to it's lower density I'd stick with the heaviest slug mold you can get and then load them as a lighter/faster slug load.

Drifting OT, but anyway. Only leadshot is banned, lead slugs is OK. I used to "reload" ordinary trap-ammo by cutting of the starcrimp, pouring out the shot, inserting a Lee 7/8oz slug and put a litle glue on top. Worked a charm, and cheaper than from the store.