PDA

View Full Version : Weight range of cast bullets

Sailman
09-27-2005, 10:51 PM
I thought this might be of some interest.

Tonight I was casting 308-165-SIL. I was casting with Linotype. The mold that I have takes very little pre-warming. I set the mold on the small shelf on top of the Lyman furnace while the lead is coming up to casting temperature. After fluxing I cast 4 bullets which were put in my warmers can. I set aside the next 10 bullets cast. After casting 210 more bullets, I set aside the next 16 bullets cast. This was the end of the casting session bucause I used up the lead in the furnace ( I stop when I have apx. 1 1/4 inch of lead remaining in the pot ).

The weight range of the 1st 10 bullets was 161.1-159.7= 1.4 gr.

The weight range of the last 16 bullets was 161.8-161.3= 0.5 gr

The weight range from the first cast bullets to the last cast
bullets was 161.8-159.7 = 2.1 gr.

Baised upon the above data, I would suspect that I would have a very high leavel of reliability in drawing bullets out of the glass storage jar, NOT weighing the bullets, and loading them in the brass cartridge. I realize that one can always have a cast bullet with a hidden hole etc., however, that is the chance you take.

When shooting a Military Bold Action match with a rifle, As Issued to the troops, and with 74 year old eyes, I suspect one does not have to weigh each bullet to expect reasonable results. I suspect that sometimes we get a little carried away in our loading routines.

Sailman

NVcurmudgeon
09-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Agreed with your last sentence, Sailman. I have the luxury of an electronic scale which I use exclusively for sorting cast boolits. For most of my practice and plinking at ranges of 50-200 yds. I only visually inspect. Once a year, when I go to the annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, or when somebody declares a postal match here, I weigh sort my boolits. I don't really know how much precision is needed, but sort 200 gr. boolits into +/- 0.5 gr. lots, from the middle weights of the casting run. At least I am culling out the extremes of weight, which has eliminated called fliers for years. As my eyes are only five years younger than yours, I'll take every edge I can get, but only in the closest of competition.

David R
09-28-2005, 06:14 AM
I agree, for really best groups, weigh em. My 225646 vary by over 1 grain. My 311291 vary by less than one grain. Go figure.

1 grain is 1.8% of a 57 grain boolit.

1 grain is 0.55% of a 182 gr boolit.

I wiegh the 22s and the heck with the 30 cal.

David