PDA

View Full Version : WW Plus Tin

MtnGunner
09-27-2005, 10:34 PM
I haven't cast any bullets for about 15 years but am ready to get going again. I picked up over 1,000 pounds of WW over the weekend and have begun melting them down into clean ingots. I want to add a little tin to the WW and was thinking of adding 1/2 pound of 50/50 solder per 10 pounds of WW. Is that enough extra tin for good casting or should I add 1 pound 50/50 per 10 pounds of WW? I am casting for .44 Special & .44 mag (Keith SWC) and for a .41 mag.

Bullshop
09-27-2005, 10:51 PM
MtnGunner
I can only offer one mans opinion and you can deceide whats its worth. If you add 1/2lb tin to 10lb WW you will be adding 5% tin to your WW. As is WW should have about .5% tin so you would be ending up with about 5.5% in your alloy. Since we can cast good boolits in some molds with the existing .5% in WW it doesnt take much more to persuade the obstinate molds to cooperate. If you only add another .5% you are doubling the ammount. I have cast good boolits at 100 to 1 which for practicle perposes is 1% tin. For about the same % tin you could mix your 50/50 with 50lbs WW. Many people eather repeat what they have heard others say or believe from thier own experiance that at least 2% is required. I can live with 1% for my problem molds and straight WW for the ones with manners.
BIC/BS

Cherokee
09-28-2005, 11:59 AM
I have found that 2% added to wheel weights is plenty. Adding more than that is a waste of Tin as it doesn't make the bullet any harder and exceeds the need for good bullet fill out. Works for me.