PDA

View Full Version : A Question For You Metalurgists

JohnH
01-30-2015, 06:52 PM
I as given some silver contact points from electric motor starters some time back. I have not done anything with them, as I understand the solder they use to assemble the switch arms has cadmium in it. I was given them to use to play with making some harder alloy, but I don't know really where to start, or even if I should. I have about a half pint of the things, so there is not even enough to justify trying to separate the solder off the contacts to just sell the silver. Any way to use this metal, or should I just junk it?

303Guy
01-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Cadmium is an extremely toxic metal ...Don't breath the fumes or in anyway get it into your system. It's considered more toxic than mercury and lead. It has ten times the toxicity of lead. Among other things it displaces zinc in the body, causing a zinc deficiency in an already zinc deficient population.

Outpost75
01-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Take it to a scrap dealer and trade it for a tin-based solder!

bangerjim
01-30-2015, 10:12 PM
NOT something you want to mess with in your melting pot!!!!!!!!!!! Cd is HIGHLY toxic.

I doubt if a standard mom & pop salvage yard wouuld even know what is was. Try some and see.

And I doubt if the silver is even pure. Normally heavily alloyed with Cu for hardness.