PDA

View Full Version : Lube Question

nicholst55
02-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Has anyone ever used the 50% beeswax, 50% moly grease bullet lube? I'm looking to pan lube some pistol boolits and wonder if this would be a suitable lube for this use.

Any other suggestions?

MtGun44
02-27-2008, 12:36 AM
I believe this is Glen's favorite lube. I have been meaning to ask him
what particular brand of moly grease he uses so I can try it too.

Glen? :-D

Bill

Leftoverdj
02-27-2008, 12:56 AM
I've used a good bit of 50/50 beeswax/lithium grease. Works fine. Gave up on my one experiment with moly because it stains everything in sight. Someone else might know a brand that does not do this.

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Id think it would be an awful messy pan lube.

Glen
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes, I've been using that combination for virtually all of my cast bullet shooting for over 10 years now. It works very well for both rifles and pistols. I use Stay-Pruf Extreme Pressure Moly-Graf grease that I bought at the auto parts store. I mix it 50-50 by weight with beeswax and melt it in the microwave in a pyrex measuring cup (dedicated to bullet lube) and just pour it right into the lubesizer.

I've never used this lube to pan lube bullets, but it should work just fine. Just make sure that you add enough beeswax to keep the hardened lube fairly "stiff". If you are only going to use this lube to pan lube, you might consider using paraffin in place of the beeswax, as that will make a harder lube that will "set up" harder and make less of a mess (but it doesn't go through a lubesizer worth beans!).

mroliver77
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
My Jays Gray is beeswax and moly lithium grease. A little more than 50% wax to keep it stiff.
I still like Felix lube.
J

nicholst55
02-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Okay, y'all talked me into it - I'll try some Felix Lube.

sundog
02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I have used exactly what you are asking about. In fact, I have some still in a Pyrex cup for use anytime I need it, just have to warm it up a little in the microwave. The moly grease I used is Sta-Lube brand. The stuff seems to stay together good, doesn't separate, probably because of the lithium soap in the grease as an ingredient.

I used it on .454+ size boolits in a Colt 1917 with a rough bore. Bore cleaned up nicely, although still lightly pitted, and rifling began to be more noticeable. It started to shoot better, too, but that might have been from the better fitting boolits as much as anything. Down side is odor. It smokes a bit when fired, also.

Try the FWFL.

MtGun44
02-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks Glen. Appreciate the info, will give it a try.

Bill