PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Old Mauser Case Designs

Good Cheer
01-30-2015, 09:01 AM
For the multitude of black powder target shooting, hunting and military cartridge case designs from a century ago that were based on the Mauser "A base" brass, anybody used any of the old designs with the modern day belted base brass?

I looked doing this almost thirty years ago with a 9.5x52 and just never found the right rifle and the right time. Wondered if someone had tried it out.

EDG
01-30-2015, 11:52 AM
I have noticed that size similarity. You might be able to shoot an old rifle using belted brass but you would have to dig the brass out or add some sort of ring or clip for a rim.

The .45-70 case head is about the same size.
I tried .375 H&H brass in one of my single shot 45-70s.
New brass and FL sized brass would drop into the belt with a very close .003 or so clearance fit.
Once fired brass from my rifle hung up with the belt about .060 away from touching the rim recess.

It appears that you could carefully turn the belt off of magnum brass and once trimmed you could shoot it in .45-70 based chamber as long as you have some means of maintaining headspace.

For a modern chamber you could bore the recess for the belt and use magnum brass as long as you take care of the extractor. You could do a 38-70 Win or 38-56 Win using magnum brass. There are many other old 45-70 based rounds that could be duplicated with H&H size magnum belted brass.

GunStuff
03-04-2015, 02:31 PM
For a modern chamber you could bore the recess for the belt and use magnum brass as long as you take care of the extractor. You could do a 38-70 Win or 38-56 Win using magnum brass. There are many other old 45-70 based rounds that could be duplicated with H&H size magnum belted brass.
The belt has to slip over the extractor to remove the case. How could that be arranged?

EDG
03-04-2015, 05:00 PM
The Ruger #1 does that. I think it is spring loaded.
The extractor for a .35 Rem barrel for a Contender has a flat spring under it. The spring allows the extractor to push down and let the case slip by.

The belt has to slip over the extractor to remove the case. How could that be arranged?