PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gauge Brass Shotshell Loads

eka
02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
I have been wanting to get in on the brass shotshell fun. So, I was thinking about ordering some .410 Magtech brass. Then I thought I might also order some 20 gauge brass shotshells also. But, then I started thinking about possible sizing problems. I can manage to get the .410 sized if I need to, but I'm not sure how I would get the 20 gauge brass sized. So, my question is, do you eventually have to size the brass with low to medium loadings, and if so, what would you size the 20 gauge brass with?

I have an old Mossberg 20 gauge bolt action shotgun that would be perfect to experiment with.

Thanks,

Keith

kycrawler
02-26-2008, 08:53 PM
its pretty redneck but i took a flat washer and opened the inside up on my lathe then polished it with some 600 wet dry i use a regular lee press to push the case up through the washer then stick it over the gap in my becnh vise and push the case out with a dowel rod i only sze about every 6-8 loadings

eka
02-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Hey, if that's redneck, then count me in. What a neat idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Keith

Molly
02-28-2008, 12:57 AM
... I was thinking about ordering some .410 Magtech brass. ... I might also order some 20 gauge brass shotshells also. But, then I started thinking about possible sizing problems.

No problem at all. You can buy some once fired .444 cases for brass 410's, and you can make a die to size most anything: straight wall cases are dirt simple.

Step 1. Obtain a supply of cases, with at least one being either sized or new (empty).

2. Select a surplus steel die, or buy one at the next gun show for a few pennies. Drill it out a bit larger than the case you want to size. You can also use a 7/8x14 bolt, but they're hard to find.

3. Select a sized or new case and give it a coat of sizing lube. Even Crisco or PAM will do. Set it on a sheet of metal that's heavy enough to take the weight without bending.

4. Keep a pair of tongs or long nosed pliers handy, and use a propane torch to heat the die smoking hot. At the same time, heat a dipper of linotype to casting temperature. Wheelweights will work, but won't last as long.

5. Stand the lubed case on shell holder, and drop the hot die over it with the tongs. Quidkly fill around the openings with some bread dough, or stiff flour and water paste.

6. Pour the linotype between the die and the case, all the way to the top of the neck - but NOT to the top of the die.

7. Let cool, thread it into your press, and use a rod and mallet to eject the case. The result is your sizing die. Clean the case, mark it to be NEVER used for shooting, and tuck it away somewhere.

No, a die made like this won't last forever, but you'd be astonished at how many lubed cases it will size perfectly, with no trouble at all. I've seen them still going strong after hundreds of sizings. Wrinkles or bubbles in the lead casting are actually good, as they act as lube channels. If / when the time comes it isn't working so well, just dig out the original case, push it into the die, stand it up and reheat with a torch to make it new again.

My kinda technology: Simple, effective, easy and cheap!

Hope this helps.
Molly