PDA

View Full Version : Rifleman Magazine

Bzcraig
01-28-2015, 11:37 PM
I sure enjoy the articles in the magazine but sure am getting tired of all the political stuff. Anyone else?

geargnasher
01-28-2015, 11:43 PM
You must have gotten this month's issue today. I threw it in the trash along with the pizza coupons and CC offers without so much as cracking it open.

Gear

prsman23
01-29-2015, 12:10 AM
Haven't opened the last three. It's all scare tactics. Not my cup of tea.

Bzcraig
01-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Actually got it a few days ago. There was a very interesting article about a black frontier lawman and one other but that was it.

gray wolf
01-29-2015, 12:22 AM
I just don't get having O-Bam bams picture on every other page. :groner:

and yes the adds are a td much.

JB Weld
01-29-2015, 12:34 AM
Hey! Make sure you get that Harbor Freight Coupon out of the mag before you trash it. :mrgreen:

I just gave a stack of Rifleman to a young guy at work and he is loving them.

Sweetpea
01-29-2015, 12:50 AM
Yep, getting less impressed by them as time goes on...

Recluse
01-29-2015, 01:04 AM
Haven't opened the last three. It's all scare tactics. Not my cup of tea.

"Scare tactics," eh?

This is rich coming from a resident of the LAST damned state in America to allow concealed handgun carry and the state that requires a FOID for anyone who virtually wants to even DREAM about purchasing a gun or ammo. . .

Sorry, but those "scare tactics" you apparently sneer at are based on historical fact--and you're living in a state that made a lot of that history.

:coffee:

prsman23
01-29-2015, 01:07 AM
nevermind

jmort
01-29-2015, 01:11 AM
"There was a very interesting article about a black frontier lawman and one other but that was it."

That was a good article. I used to get the political magazine and switched to the Rifleman.

MaryB
01-29-2015, 01:21 AM
It goes in the bathroom to be read... couple good articles this month and I do enjoy the various gun reviews even though most are way out of my price range!

Bzcraig
01-29-2015, 02:24 AM
It goes in the bathroom to be read...

that's where all my magazines go!

Boyscout
01-29-2015, 03:59 AM
I love the "Armed Citizen" section. I can't get enough of positive, uplifting stories with happy endings.

The Democrats/leftist can't seem to get enough of assualting the 1st and 2nd Amendments. Don't blame the NRA for politics. They didn't start the fight and I for one am glad for all of those fighting the fight.

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2015, 04:54 AM
"Scare tactics," eh?

This is rich coming from a resident of the LAST damned state in America to allow concealed handgun carry and the state that requires a FOID for anyone who virtually wants to even DREAM about purchasing a gun or ammo. . .

Sorry, but those "scare tactics" you apparently sneer at are based on historical fact--and you're living in a state that made a lot of that history.

Just what do you REALLY know about what it took for the folks in Illinois to finally get CCW?:evil:

dragon813gt
01-29-2015, 06:54 AM
Mine had this years ballot in it. I never vote because I don't know anything about the people running. I like the article at the end about an old firearm the most. Any firearm "review" is just a paid advertisement. I don't read the first half of the magazine. I despise all magazines that don't run articles as a whole. Having to flip to the back multiple times, so you see all the adds, is a poor business tactic. It seems to be mostly firearms related mags that do this because other ones I receive don't do this. I do like when they run an article on the history of a firearm or manufacturer.

Petrol & Powder
01-29-2015, 07:19 AM
I still enjoy the technical articles and some of the history stuff. The constant scare tactics are annoying and I just ignore them. I'm a life member and consider the magazine to just be a bonus. I do wish the NRA would adopt a broader view. They could be just as effective in their mission, maybe even more so, if they had a larger base. The extremism appeals to a very small segment of pro-gun people and turns off a lot of potential members. There are a lot of people out there that would benefit from some gun issues education but they perceive the NRA as a group of uneducated radicals. Covers like the one on the February 2015 issue don't help our cause.

dragon813gt
01-29-2015, 10:03 AM
I don't want the NRA to be broader. They are a one issues origination. This allows them to focus all their attention in one area. They do need to do a better job of educating people on the differences between the NRA and the NRA-ILA. The ILA is what most people take issue w/. No one can get upset w/ the education, training, range work and competitions the NRA does.

Firearm owners need to get their heads out of their proverbial backside and support them. If every firearm owner did this then we wouldn't have the issues we do. Numbers don't lie and 100 million strong is impossible to ignore. The media would not be able to spin the NRA as fringe gun nuts if everyone was a member.

Recluse
01-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Just what do you REALLY know about what it took for the folks in Illinois to finally get CCW?:evil:

In the famous words of Lynyrd Skynyrd, "I know a little." :) Seem to recall a tale or two here, not to mention a fairly long-running thread about the superhuman efforts undertaken by a handful of grass roots folks from The Land of Lincoln.

I also remember a number of updates in the NRA publications over the past few years regarding the fight, the progress, the setbacks, the shadiness of Pat Quinn (shady: Quinn=redundant), etc. I also know that a huge amount of gun owners had no idea what was going on in Illinois during the fight for CHL/CCW--including NRA members because far too many had/have the attitude of "if it ain't happening in my backyard, I don't care about it."

I remember many of the same grass roots people and individuals also taking that renewed energy and using it to get Quinn and cronies out of Springfield--and I remember them getting support from ILA/PVF and it being publicized in The American Rifleman and other NRA publications.

I don't want the NRA to be broader. They are a one issues origination. This allows them to focus all their attention in one area. They do need to do a better job of educating people on the differences between the NRA and the NRA-ILA. The ILA is what most people take issue w/. No one can get upset w/ the education, training, range work and competitions the NRA does.

Firearm owners need to get their heads out of their proverbial backside and support them. If every firearm owner did this then we wouldn't have the issues we do. Numbers don't lie and 100 million strong is impossible to ignore. The media would not be able to spin the NRA as fringe gun nuts if everyone was a member.

Perfectly stated and one-hundred percent true.

Love Life
01-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Yeah...but...the NRA is sooo bad sending out all that junk mail and stuff. It's horrible, terrible, and jean-u-wine tragedy.

Summary: Support the NRA and get your friends to join. I told my friends that if they weren't NRA members then they are commies who hate America and wear ladies underpants.

WILCO
01-29-2015, 10:51 AM
It's all scare tactics. Not my cup of tea.

While their goal is to raise funds, it's not all scare tactics.

prsman23
01-29-2015, 10:54 AM
While their goal is to raise funds, it's not all scare tactics.

Was saying the last few issues have seemed that way. I'm a life member. Not against the NRA. I understand their importance. But come on. Putting fire and angry pics of politicians that are against us on every other page IS TIRING.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-29-2015, 11:19 AM
I am a member , and I like American Rifleman , I think the political stuff has just worn us all out some , sadly

that is a tactic to wear us down , spending years and years always on the defensive is jut tiring , hearing about it all the time is tiring

I dislike many of the tactics used but frankly no one is playing nice , it is war , if is the battle for rights , and yes it sucks

keep supporting , flip past those pages and gleen what you want from the magazine , but we do need to stand and stand united being very careful not to sell out any part of any legal gun owners rights to own or carry , yeah , I am going to pick on the shotgun guys for a minute I hear it from them most often ,but lots of people are party to this sell out , if it isn't their type of gun or their type of carry or their type of ownership or their type of gun use , they seem willing to let it get tread on , we do need to be careful not to do that and to realize that if the issue now fails yours will likely be next.

Join , pay your annual membership it helps fight the fight and be glad that it is being fought and you don't have to spend so much time on it yourself.

As for ladies underpants wearing , as long as they support the 2nd amendment , and carry in a proper holster , I don't care what they wear for undies

there are some Gay Pro gun groups , and while they may not have all the same ideas , firearms ownership is one place we can agree we need all the help we can get.

Three44s
01-29-2015, 11:57 AM
You might be getting tired of the fight ......... but then you'd be playing right into the left's hands ... and they are not getting tired!

Also, for a vacation ......... move to Australia! Read about guns of yesteryear!

Three 44s

Petrol & Powder
01-29-2015, 12:28 PM
To be clear, I like the NRA and think they are a good organization. I just think they are losing potential members and therefore money and influence, due to thier methods.

DR Owl Creek
01-29-2015, 01:51 PM
If you don't like the NRA, maybe you would like the Democrat Undergroung better...

Dave

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2015, 02:08 PM
The list of young ladies that I am proud to have marched and fought along side of is indeed legendary but most are never mentioned even by "THE RIFLEMAN" magazine is a long one even tho some (with NRA help) have appeared before the SCOTUS and WON.

And then there is Todd Vandermeid the NRA rep that spent countless hundreds of hours before our legislature and State Police helping us to get even the sad excuse we now have for our CCW but at least 100,000 residents of Illinois can now CCW thanks to these great folks and the NRA.
I for one will be protesting AGAIN this year in Springfield loud enough that our NEW (yes Quinn lost :drinks:) governor knows just who we are and what we demand.

And YES I have been an NRA LIFER since 1974.

Now watch in the next month when I ask the many members here that live in Illinois to join me March 18th when we march on the capitol.

PS One year Jesse Jack--- fired up 2 buses to protest our march.

He promptly went home when local radio stated WE had over 50 buses loaded and already on the road,never heard from him again.

Say what you want but without their help we would still be the only state without CCW.

shooterg
01-29-2015, 02:16 PM
I ALWAYS vote in the NRA Board elections, and usually only for 4 or 5 of those listed. Sadly, a smaller % of eligible NRA members vote in the Board elections than the gen pop voting in national elections.
They have at least 4 different magazines, could probably cut back to one really good one(I love the old ones, have 'em back to 1930). Those pics you don't like ? Can you say "targets" ? The "Armed Citizen" stuff would make for great "reality" TV shows !

Lead Fred
01-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Ole man was a life member, I liked the magazine fine, it was all the rest that got to much. Changed my phone number, and now my mailbox isnt full of paper headed for the burn barrel

lbaize3
01-29-2015, 02:38 PM
I always read the American Rifleman. Sure it has some things I skim over, same as any gun magazine I receive. It still offers pearls of wisdom and reminders of things not thought of in a long time. I will remain a member of the NRA because I tend to be a one issue person (Second Amendment), and I will continue to read the American Rifleman.

smoked turkey
01-29-2015, 02:45 PM
The NRA bashing part of this thread makes me sad. If some of OUR membership feels that way, just think how the anti's and libs feel about the NRA. I believe if it were not for the viligence and constant fighting by the NRA we likely would be talking about bows and arrows and bean flippers here rather than all the firearms we enjoy. All I can say is people best face reality and get in the fight for our firearm rights or there will not be any. You can bet the liberals and antis are not going away.

therealhitman
01-29-2015, 03:04 PM
"Scare tactics," eh?

It's called being "desensitized". All part of the plan. I live in Oregon...so I'm seeing it happen all around me. Californistanians already shrug their shoulders and move on when the state decides a new activity needs regulation. "License to pee? OK. Sleeping tax? No problem. Can't barbeque in the backyard anymore? I guess so." I grew up in Brooklyn, so I have SEEN them come take the guns. Now they frisk em on the street for fun!
Oregon is slowly being desensitized to over-regulation also, and the pace is increasing. Losing rights at an alarming pace. Basic human ones. Common sense ones. And Bloomberg is hovering for our next vote to force on us what he forced on Washington State.
Lots of states already absorbed hook line and swastika.

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2015, 03:19 PM
There were over 1 MILLION hunting licenses sold here last year.

I just checked with Illinois State Rifle Assn to see how many members we have.

At the moment there are around 30,000 members.

Yes the other 970,000 hunters are just sitting there waiting AND CRYING for someone else to carry the water for them.

And I am sure the same holds true for most other states.

Where do YOU fit in?

dragon813gt
01-29-2015, 03:39 PM

Yes the other 970,000 hunters are just sitting there waiting AND CRYING for someone else to carry the water for them.

Where do YOU fit in?

Most states are the same way. Pennsylvania is behind only Texas in NRA membership. But I still hear hunters complain about the NRA constantly. I will pile on the shotgunners because of there ever was an elitist bunch it is them. I will stand and fight for their rights. I know they don't stand and fight for mine.

That being said the antis have done a wonderful job of dividing the shooting community. And it's not just them doing it. We only need to look around at the range to see how we do it to others. People not understanding liking ARs and other modern sporting rifles. The pistol shooters that don't want rifles at the range. The shotgunners.....well I covered that already and truth be told it would be a very long rant if I really went off.

Spend the $35 a year to become a NRA member if you like to shoot in any capacity. I know the ranges I belong to offer a reduced membership rate to join. And part of the money still goes to the range. It's a win win for you and other shooters. This should be preaching to the choir but there are many here that aren't members of any gun rights group.

shooter93
01-29-2015, 07:09 PM
I enjoy the magazine and I always vote for board members. It's a bit of work but worth it if you want the NRA to change. I'll never understand how there can be 100 million gun owners and only 5 million NRA members. They may not be perfect but 100 million voters simply cannot lose any election, despite any fraud, if they would stick together.....or we can all hang separately. It's not so much scare tactics as truth. Don't ever think for a minute that the other side isn't constantly working to destroy all your rights and this Republic. The NRA is extremely powerful and needs to be more so. The only reason Federal legislation didn't pass after the Conn. shooting was the NRA. Congress needs to be afraid of us.

Iowa Fox
01-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Anyone remember what the Rifleman was like in the 50s &60s?

wv109323
01-29-2015, 09:22 PM
I agree that AR has been in decline for several years. This last month was the worse one in a while. The NRA wants to stir you up enough so you send them a check. I read, to maximize donations, they must constantly bombard you with requests. They do one good job at that.
All in all they are the biggest voice we have in Washington. I would hate to see what our rights would be without them.
I would like to see a complete disclosure of the NRA expenditures with salaries.

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2015, 09:47 PM
I would love to see just what kind of package Wayne La POPO gets.

Also they should update their owm photos at least once every 10 years.

bear67
01-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I vote in local, state and national elections every time, therefore I vote in NRA elections every time. If I am concerned about issues, I should vote my convictions. In modern times the NRA stands between us and the nuts and anti's out there. I research those running, ask a Texas NRA board member that I might know in this election cycle, but I make the effort and vote.\

No the AR is not the magazine that we read back in the 50's, but nothing much else is either. I read what I want and flip over the rest. I miss a real shooters magazine that has technical information about guns, ammo and loading ammo. But none of the other gun rags really float my boat now--wish I could find one I really enjoy like some from the past.

I do think they are writing some good military history firearms articles and historical references like the last issue and the black federal marshall.

We all need to stick together in this fight or we will lose our rights because we let petty stuff take us out of the fray.

I am off my soapbox and through preachin' now. God bless each and every one of us and God bless the NRA and those free Americans who still defend, believe in and support our constitutional rights.

SSGOldfart
01-29-2015, 10:32 PM
They spend more money asking for money,I renew my membership every three years for three years at a time,but they still send notice every few months,I'm really not sure they know when a membership is due they need to stop the junk mail campaigns

shooterg
01-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Just fyi- politics is a numbers game, you can add to the NRA numbers for cheap and not be bothered with reading the magazine. We sign a lot of spouses up like this so they can access the Ranges on their own( NRA membership required to belong - but the general public can attend/compete in matches)

Q: What is the difference between Regular and Associate Memberships?
A: Associate Membership has all the benefits of Regular Membership except Associate Members do not receive a magazine, cannot participate in NRA elections, and cannot hold office within the NRA.

MaryB
01-29-2015, 11:49 PM
We are at the height of the battle to put people like Bloomberg in their place and retain our rights. That costs money. NRA isn't the only gun organization that bombards with requests for funds. I give when I can but that is rare, but I keep on supporting them. If we can get permanent protections passed it should settle down. But we have to get past a demonrat president the next 2 years and past Bloomberg, Soros, Gates...

I agree that AR has been in decline for several years. This last month was the worse one in a while. The NRA wants to stir you up enough so you send them a check. I read, to maximize donations, they must constantly bombard you with requests. They do one good job at that.
All in all they are the biggest voice we have in Washington. I would hate to see what our rights would be without them.
I would like to see a complete disclosure of the NRA expenditures with salaries.

SSGOldfart
01-29-2015, 11:59 PM
Yep we need the NRA more than ever,there has to be a way around there mail campaigns,just think how much they could save in postage

TXGunNut
01-30-2015, 12:06 AM
If we had more active politically active NRA members and more clout on K street maybe AR wouldn't have to be in crisis mode all the time.

Bad Water Bill
01-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Seems to me that we have this same discussion every 6 months or so.

No I do not get those beg letters BUT my recycle bin is still packed to the top with junk mail from every grocery store within 50 miles of my home.

Many times my real mail (the bills ) is lost inside of a 40-60 sheet bundle of advertisements EVERY WEEK.

Cmm_3940
01-30-2015, 06:00 AM
|
|
<——— Here, and here: ———> http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/

Where do YOU fit in?

ETA: Oh, yeah. I'm with these guys too: http://www.orpa.net/

cbrick
01-30-2015, 10:36 AM
SSGOldfart, stop the mail campaigns? Save on postage? No, wrong on both counts. It's really pretty simple. Yep printing is expensive. Yep, postage is expensive BUT they take in more from these mail campaigns than they spend on it or it would stop in a heart beat and it really is as simple as that.

Yeah, I get tied of it also but I understand it. Yep, it's annoying to me also but it's not anywhere near as annoying as not owning a single legal gun would be. As for not happy with the way the NRA is run, it's a huge organization with 5 million members. Compare that with a board meeting at your local gun club where there may be 20 or 30 people present and it's impossible to get all them to agree on any single issue. But the NRA is supposed to make every single one of 5 million happy, or is it just that they should make YOU happy and do it YOUR way? Bottom line here is also pretty simple, you can have a pro gun organization run exactly as you want, just start it and run it.

As for complaining about how much Wayne makes just consider his position is one of administration. A qualified administrator is mandatory to keep the organization running, pay him or any qualified administrator running any business or organization half as much and they will be working someplace else and we would have a far less qualified person administrating that would be willing to work for far less. Under his leadership the membership has doubled, 2 1/2 million to over 5 million. Want to pay the administrator far less? No problem, once you get your organization up and running you can pay you as little as you want, right down to nothing.

Another thing that's pretty simple to figure out. Without the NRA right now today not a one of us would own a single legal firearm.

I think it would be wise to look at both the big picture and reality rather than complain things aren't done YOUR way.

Rick

Love Life
01-30-2015, 10:46 AM
It's not like you have to run 3 miles, do 20 dead hang pull-ups, and 100 crunches under time limit to be able to sort the junk mail from the real mail.

dragon813gt
01-30-2015, 10:53 AM
I don't understand the mail issues. For starters you can opt out of it. Takes a few minutes online to do so. And how hard is it to just throw it away? Overall it's one of the weakest arguments for not being a member.

jmort
01-30-2015, 12:20 PM
"Another thing that's pretty simple to figure out. Without the NRA right now today not a one of us would own a single legal firearm."

Let's not get carried away. I agree with your post in general, this is not true. One example, NRA fought the Cato Institute on the Heller case, what if they would have got their way? The Supreme Court and the Republican Party have done far more substantively in terms of the Second Amendment.

Bad Water Bill
01-30-2015, 02:16 PM
And where we be without McDonald/Chicago?

jmort
01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
The Second Amendment Foundation brought the McDonald case to the Supreme Court with its lead attorney Alan Gura. Same attorney that handled Heller. Not NRA. BTW, I am a member of NRA, I am not against the NRA, everyone should join, just trying to keep it real, so to speak.

Outpost75
01-30-2015, 05:56 PM
The American Rifleman ceased being a technical shooting publication after the Cincinatti massacre and they brought in a bunch of fund raisers, ad men and feather merchants to publish the magazine, fired Ken Warner and most of the old hands on the tech staff left or retired. They are just another group of whores for the industry whose job is to sell advertising and push product with puff articles.

histed
01-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Maybe - Maybe not. I do get a little tired of every issue pronouncing doom-and-gloom if I don't immediately send them my life savings. That said, I do support the training and education programs. Sometimes I just wish they'd use my dues and contributions to protect the 2A and cancel the magazines, TV programs and constant phone calls. Feel free to disagree

onceabull
01-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Sure enough guys, the 2nd Amendment Foundation, Alan Gura,the Knoxites, et al, --they are the ones responsible for the facilities at Raton, and all the money going to support local ranges...????????? Onceabull

MaryB
01-30-2015, 11:52 PM
I never receive phone calls, asked them to stop and they did. As far as junk mail if it is non-NRA I stuff it back into the postage paid return envelopes and mail it back to them. Keeps the post office in business!

SSGOldfart
01-31-2015, 12:13 AM
SSGOldfart, stop the mail campaigns? Save on postage? No, wrong on both counts. It's really pretty simple. Yep printing is expensive. Yep, postage is expensive BUT they take in more from these mail campaigns than they spend on it or it would stop in a heart beat and it really is as simple as that.

Yeah, I get tied of it also but I understand it. Yep, it's annoying to me also but it's not anywhere near as annoying as not owning a single legal gun would be. As for not happy with the way the NRA is run, it's a huge organization with 5 million members. Compare that with a board meeting at your local gun club where there may be 20 or 30 people present and it's impossible to get all them to agree on any single issue. But the NRA is supposed to make every single one of 5 million happy, or is it just that they should make YOU happy and do it YOUR way? Bottom line here is also pretty simple, you can have a pro gun organization run exactly as you want, just start it and run it.

As for complaining about how much Wayne makes just consider his position is one of administration. A qualified administrator is mandatory to keep the organization running, pay him or any qualified administrator running any business or organization half as much and they will be working someplace else and we would have a far less qualified person administrating that would be willing to work for far less. Under his leadership the membership has doubled, 2 1/2 million to over 5 million. Want to pay the administrator far less? No problem, once you get your organization up and running you can pay you as little as you want, right down to nothing.

Another thing that's pretty simple to figure out. Without the NRA right now today not a one of us would own a single legal firearm.

I think it would be wise to look at both the big picture and reality rather than complain things aren't done YOUR way.

Rick

Rick this must be your hot button,for starters I did agree we need the NRA now more than ever,You must have missed the part where I said I'm a member?I've been a member most of the last 40+ years I never said **** about Wayne,I don't have any Idea what he makes and really don't see were it's our business what he gets paid. So anyways if they had what they have spent on mail the last 30 or 40years who knows how strong they would be. Wasn't the NRA started by the government to promote firearms and shooting sports? Well I'll just leave this thread to those who like junk mail & doom-gloom.!!!!!!!!

MaryB
01-31-2015, 12:17 AM
We won't have shooting sports if the NRA and other groups can't keep Bloomberg in check. Or do you want to be like NY? CA? WA? MD? etc all nice socialist states with ugly gun laws.

Recluse
01-31-2015, 02:47 AM
The American Rifleman ceased being a technical shooting publication after the Cincinatti massacre and they brought in a bunch of fund raisers, ad men and feather merchants to publish the magazine, fired Ken Warner and most of the old hands on the tech staff left or retired. They are just another group of whores for the industry whose job is to sell advertising and push product with puff articles.

Wow. I actually enjoy posts like this. The results of this one are:

• My stock in tin foil just increased another three dollars.

• That fresh, new company that Frank has been bugging me about. . .

montana_charlie
01-31-2015, 02:26 PM
It's called being "desensitized". All part of the plan.
When somebody comes on here to say that all of the activity is just 'scare tactics', it makes you wonder if he is here to help with that desentization ... so that we will stop resisting.

Anyone remember what the Rifleman was like in the 50s &60s?
I do. That was before the Gun Control Act of 1968, and the NRA-ILA was not even a vague idea.
American Rifleman was full of good information and advertisements for guns ... that we could buy through the mail.

But the anti-gun crowd didn't let that 'peacful time' continue, so now we have to fight 'em at every turn.

CM

thxmrgarand
01-31-2015, 07:23 PM
My wife and I are life members. We have been members for about 4 to 5 decades. We avidly participate in political election campaigns, and we would find lots of reasons to do something else with our time if not for the gun issue. I'll bet we knocked on well over 1,000 doors in 2014, and we do quite a bit more than that - all for pro-gun candidates.

No doubt about it, background checks amount to gun registration, and gun registration has led to gun confiscation in NYC, the State of NY, the United Kingdom, Canada, etc. etc. During the 20th Century governments killed about 100 million of their own people, mostly unarmed women and children. The 21st Century hasn't begun in a very encouraging way in that respect. So if you believe in a right to a semblance of freedom and democracy, and the pursuit of happiness, the only way to keep government at bay is to remain armed.

I believe that during my lifetime the private ownership of firearms in the US would already have become rare, illegal and all but eliminated if not for the NRA. The enemies of freedom and self-determination never fail to exploit anything that might boost their efforts to register and then come for our guns. Of all the organizations to which I have sent money and dues over the decades the only one that has never let me down is the NRA. I like to hunt, to reload ammo, and to shoot, but the right to keep and bear arms is about staying alive and keeping this government and violent, dishonest people from killing innocent people. The need to have the means to defend ourselves is obvious but too often only the NRA alone has had the resources, the skill and the voice to see that we continue to have those means.

cbrick
01-31-2015, 07:32 PM
My wife and I are life members. We have been members for about 4 to 5 decades. We avidly participate in political election campaigns, and we would find lots of reasons to do something else with our time if not for the gun issue. I'll bet we knocked on well over 1,000 doors in 2014, and we do quite a bit more than that - all for pro-gun candidates.

No doubt about it, background checks amount to gun registration, and gun registration has led to gun confiscation in NYC, the State of NY, the United Kingdom, Canada, etc. etc. During the 20th Century governments killed about 100 million of their own people, mostly unarmed women and children. The 21st Century hasn't begun in a very encouraging way in that respect. So if you believe in a right to a semblance of freedom and democracy, and the pursuit of happiness, the only way to keep government at bay is to remain armed.

I believe that during my lifetime the private ownership of firearms in the US would already have become rare, illegal and all but eliminated if not for the NRA. The enemies of freedom and self-determination never fail to exploit anything that might boost their efforts to register and then come for our guns. Of all the organizations to which I have sent money and dues over the decades the only one that has never let me down is the NRA. I like to hunt, to reload ammo, and to shoot, but the right to keep and bear arms is about staying alive and keeping this government and violent, dishonest people from killing innocent people. The need to have the means to defend ourselves is obvious but too often only the NRA alone has had the resources, the skill and the voice to see that we continue to have those means.

:goodpost:

Excellent post! :mrgreen:

Rick

cbrick
01-31-2015, 07:52 PM
Rick this must be your hot button,for starters I did agree we need the NRA now more than ever,You must have missed the part where I said I'm a member?I've been a member most of the last 40+ years I never said **** about Wayne,I don't have any Idea what he makes and really don't see were it's our business what he gets paid. So anyways if they had what they have spent on mail the last 30 or 40years who knows how strong they would be. Wasn't the NRA started by the government to promote firearms and shooting sports? Well I'll just leave this thread to those who like junk mail & doom-gloom.!!!!!!!!

Only the first paragraph was directed at you SSGOldfart. As for the first paragraph read it again. How strong would we be without the mailings? Simple, far less strong because the mailings bring in far more money than is spent on doing it. Without that money how strong would we be? How many fewer court rooms would we be in?

Rick