PDA

View Full Version : Rice in mould storage

georgerkahn
01-28-2015, 09:39 PM
I recently was told of the fail-safe method of "fixing" cell 'phones which were immersed in water: Place 'em in a sealed zip-lock bag with a handful of (uncooked ;) ) rice for a few days. The rice purportedly gets damp -- while the 'phone is dried to again perform.

The thought came, would this technique "work" for storage of iron (e.g., H&G) boolit moulds? Sure would seem easier than (my method) of spraying with Starrett oil after each use and then degreasing before the next.

Hence, I reckoned I'd ask if any of you pro's at casting have ever tried this, and if so, the result.

Thanks!
geo

Ben
01-28-2015, 09:42 PM
I don't see how it could hurt anything.

As long as you emptied the rice periodically and replaced it with new.

Ben

Hang Fire
01-28-2015, 11:23 PM
If the rice gets damp, it would be the last thing I would want in my iron molds.

Bzcraig
01-29-2015, 12:23 AM
I'm thinking if you get it totally dry, place in a plastic sandwich bag with a handful of rice it would work well.

Ben
01-29-2015, 04:25 AM
My thoughts are not to actually put the mold into the rice, rather keep a bowl of dry rice in your mold storage cabinet. Once the rice in the bowl has collected moisture, discard it and replace it with new dry rice.

Silfield
01-29-2015, 07:16 AM
I used to use rice to keep my fishing hooks from rusting up-it worked well as long as it was replaced fairly regularly. A lot cheaper than bags of silica gel.

dudel
01-29-2015, 08:35 AM
Rice works; but why bother? Everyone has those silica gel bags with the "Do not eat" labels that come with everything from electronics to shoes to food and pill bottles. I save all of them in snap top box. Then just put one wherever it's needed. Pistol rug, die boxes, safe, etc. Easy to recharge in the oven. And free.

http://www.impactlab.net/2010/08/03/reusing-silica-gel-packets/ for instructions on recharging.

Love Life
01-29-2015, 08:55 AM
The kitty litter section also has silica stuff.

Handloader109
01-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Put the molds in a plastic zip lock freezer bag and no moisture should get in. I'd not really add rice. Too big a chance a nice mouse would sniff it out and That would be worse than minor rust

ballistim
01-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Put the molds in a plastic zip lock freezer bag and no moisture should get in. I'd not really add rice. Too big a chance a nice mouse would sniff it out and That would be worse than minor rust

I can't describe what it felt like after pulling my iron Lyman, RCBS, Ohaus, & Ideal molds out of storage only to find mice had made a nest inside the box they were stored in and their urine absolutely destroyed ALL of the molds, tried to make repairs but the damage was irreversible. Hope someone avoids something like this in the future by reading this. Molds are now stored inside my home in a safe place inside plastic storage containers and are checked on a regular basis. I still get sick when I think about the money lost and the collection that I once had. Thankfully so many of them have been reproduced on GB's here & at NOE's online store that I've been able to replace many of them. I don't know where I'd be without all that's available from being here at Cast Boolits!

SSGOldfart
01-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Just hop over to flea bay and get yourself some VPCI paper I use the cortec brand,I've been to leave a mold on the porch for awhile still no rust The stuff is cheaper than you'd think and it's great for stopping rust

bhn22
01-29-2015, 12:00 PM
You can bake small pieces of drywall low and slow, and it becomes a satisfactory desiccant as well.

btroj
01-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Desiccant crystals are pretty cheap at the craft store. A small bag of them in the mould storage area is enough. Toss it in the oven for a quick recharge.

nagantguy
01-29-2015, 12:10 PM
Rice 1 and a half cups, carrots 1 cup chopped fine, half a red onion diced, 1 cup celery chopped, I bag of sharp Cheddar or pepper jack cheese or both I back broccoli one small.chicken ......

therealhitman
01-29-2015, 01:16 PM
i store my molds with handles on and lead in em inside old shot bags. Stacked in a 50 cal ammo can with vpci paper at the bottom. Seems to work fine, but all stored indoors. Of course, I don't load 12gauge anymore, so my newest molds are bare since I ran out of shot bags. Anyone throwing some away?

bedbugbilly
01-29-2015, 03:16 PM
I use rice all the time to store my aluminum molds in . . . I've never had one rust yet! Oh . . . wait a minute . . . :-)

country gent
01-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Sealed in a bag rice would absorb any moisture. In the open it will hold moisture till it becomes saturated then it will also release it over long periods of time. Silica pacs and dessicants will do the same when they become full. I still perfer a light oiling and clean before useing.

dakotashooter2
01-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Rice 1 and a half cups, carrots 1 cup chopped fine, half a red onion diced, 1 cup celery chopped, I bag of sharp Cheddar or pepper jack cheese or both I back broccoli one small.chicken ......

Do you like your mold rare or well done............?

Smoke4320
01-29-2015, 05:12 PM
I keep all my mold on Blue cheese :)
My molds get sprayed with Birchwood Casy Barricade and put in plastic bags .. Seems the mice do not like that smell at all .. Or it might be the killer blocks I put out 5 to 6 times a year ..

JohnH
01-29-2015, 08:44 PM
If your house is air conditioned/central heat; then a simple 5 gallon bucket with a good sealing lid in the back of your closet will do just fine, no need for rice, dessicant, silica or any other stuff under these conditions.

Wayne Smith
01-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Humm, it works in the salt shaker ...

brassrat
01-30-2015, 01:16 PM
I have read that chamfer cubes give off fumes that attach to metal and protect. Its an old machinist trick in toolboxes. Check Indian market. I use instead of mothballs too and in safe. Keep excess sealed tight cause it vanishes into thin air

Smoke4320
01-30-2015, 01:20 PM
what is a chamfer cube ?

btroj
01-30-2015, 01:25 PM
A chamfer cube is a small piece of camphor with neatly beveled edges.

badbob454
01-30-2015, 01:44 PM

the cavity's would make a nice rice mouse, outhouse........:-P

zuke
01-31-2015, 06:07 PM
Ask your pharmasist to keep their silical gel pack's for you. They usually throw them out

brassrat
01-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Those chamfer cubes rock