PDA

View Full Version : Wife Penny gifted me a beautiful Ruger Old Army with .45 Colt conversion cylinder..

Tallbald
01-28-2015, 04:54 PM
SO my Miss Penny (my beloved wife) was cruising a Facebook gun sale and trader page and ran up on a beautiful Ruger Old Army stainless fixed sight revolver for sale and.....bought it for me as an "I love you gift"!!! At a good price, this revolver package also included an R&D .45 Colt conversion cylinder (WhooHoo!!) that accepts .45 Colt "Cowboy" loads. Maybe this should be posted instead in the black powder cartridge section but I expect to be using mostly Trail Boss powder and perhaps some Triple Seven loads and hope to learn about some molds that throw a nice, light weight (lead conserving) bullet. I prefer Lee molds because of their price point. Some have talked about R.E.A.L. Lee muzzle loader slugs sized to fit the .45 Colt cartridge and it gives me thoughts. I definitely need slow loads and lower pressures to stay within the 750-850 feet per second velocity I have to maintain.
Accuracy is more important to me than muzzle energy. Favorite molds to examine please? I'd like to order Lee dies and a mold at the same time to save on postage. Thoughts or links to archives posts about this sort of thing sure appreciated. Thanks as always. Photo of the package is below. Pretty proud and grateful folks.Don

ShooterAZ
01-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Congrats, you now own one the finest cap & ball revolvers ever made. You need to buy a .457 round ball mold for it, and maybe one of the Lee REAL molds. Both Lee and RCBS make the RB molds for it. I have no experience with the cartridge conversion cylinders, but mine is a hoot to shoot with either RB or the Lee REAL boolits. Best accuracy will more than likely be with the round balls though. I usually load 30 grains FFG Black Powder or Pyrodex with a felt wad, and top the cylinders with a 50/50 blend of beeswax and olive oil for lube. Enjoy your new Old Army, and clean well after using it, especially with pyrodex.

35remington
01-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Given it is fixed sight the point of impact may not match your chosen bullet. Find out where it hits with roundballs and conicals before investing in a mould and match the bullet weight that strikes to the sights.

Tatume
01-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Wonderful! I've admired them for decades and just never got around to buying one for myself. I think I'll go look at used ones online right now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
01-30-2015, 09:53 AM
The revolver was tested by loading each chamber to capacity with Bullseye smokeless powder and a lead ball. While this might result in catastrophic failure in other firearms, the Old Army proved to be strong enough to handle the pressure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Old_Army

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, it is impressive!

nagantguy
01-30-2015, 10:04 AM
:What a wonderful gift, how did you ever land her, sounds as though she is way out of your league! I know this cause I married a nice smart sweet hard working good looking one my self and people can see she's out of my league. Great revolver always have wanted one the cash and the gun never come along at the same time.

Tallbald
02-01-2015, 02:34 AM
Miss Penny is a Farm Girl through and through. I'm not an exciting man. Penny is happy with a boring but loving fella who worships the ground she walks on, and treats her so. Not all are satisfied with a man like me I found out. Don

badbob454
02-01-2015, 04:05 AM
She is one of the good ones !!

big bore 99
02-01-2015, 06:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Old_Army

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, it is impressive!

I don't know if that is true, but sure wouldn't recommend it!

Tatume
02-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Agreed!

BudRow
02-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Does she have a sister?