PDA

View Full Version : Inland from Coastal NH - Batten down the hatches folks!

FISH4BUGS
01-27-2015, 02:11 AM
I got up at about 1 a.m. to load the wood stove and check on the weather. Still forecasting 18"-24" of snow. The wind is kicking up and it is starting to snow.
50 gallons of backup generator fuel - check. Generator gassed up and tested - check. Snow blower gassed up and tested - check. Freezer full of food - check. Wood is loaded into the barn and shed - check. Backup wood covered for easy access in the back yard - check.
BRING IT ON!

Catshooter
01-27-2015, 04:04 AM
Good luck man.

Cat

Col4570
01-27-2015, 04:31 AM
Yes we here in the UK are in for a lashing come Wednesday and some time after.Cutting and splitting Logs today.According to the forcast the wind will turn round and all hell will break loose.Hopefully it will pass us by but its best to take precautions.Good luck over there.

marlin39a
01-27-2015, 07:01 AM
I remember the blizzard of 78 when I lived in Worcester, Ma. I wake to the sound of light rain today in AZ. Those storms are killers. Be safe.

6bg6ga
01-27-2015, 07:56 AM
We have had our share of snow storms here in Iowa along with the blizzards. Best of luck to you in this storm. Keep safe and keep the faith.

Wayne Smith
01-27-2015, 08:47 AM
I'm glad we moved here from Concord 22 years ago! I'm looking out the window at a wet street and less than an inch on the lawn.

MrWolf
01-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Hopefully it won't be as bad as thought. They forecasted 14-18" for us. We got about 2-3". Be safe!

square butte
01-27-2015, 10:43 AM
So far - Here in Vermont - I am underwhelmed with this years storm of the century. We had a measly 1 inch on the ground this morning at 7 am. Still snowing though. Better go find some wood to knock on - 8 feet away in the firewood box

MtGun44
01-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Looks like the predictions are pretty overblown, they were calling for 3 ft in NYC,
I think they got 3 inches or so. Hope your weather is similarly "less interesting".

Bill

John Guedry
01-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Glad it's less than expected, stay warm and safe. It's 75 down here.

BD
01-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Just one more media event. It's cold out, the wind is blowing and it's snowing. Just like nearly any other late January day in northern Maine in the last 100,000 years, except that everyone stayed home and the stores are closed because of what folks saw on TV last night.

dragonrider
01-27-2015, 05:17 PM
We two feet here and it is still coming down, could end up with a few more inches.. Thankfully it is fluffy and light. Really doesn't matter what type of snow it is the Kubota takes little notice.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-27-2015, 05:24 PM
A friend and former coworker moved from southern California to New Hampshire last year. He had lived here for over fifty years. I will call him later today and ask what kind of weather he had to deal with.

OptimusPanda
01-27-2015, 05:49 PM
good luck up there in NH, metrowest mass has about 30ish inches we just finished digging out and its still falling pretty good...

Edster
01-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Central Maine and so far I have 2+ feet, and it is still coming down. Drifts anywhere from 3' to 5' not going to be able to clean any of this till tomorrow.

Yodogsandman
01-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Looks like the further away from the seacoast you are, the less snow you get. I've only got a little over two feet with a little more coming overnight. Almost time to clean up!

I got the day off so, I'm happy, happy , happy!

FISH4BUGS
01-27-2015, 06:37 PM
The day is done but the snow isn't. I used the snow blower three times today, mostly to stay ahead of the snow drifts and the State plows that pile the snow at the driveway entrance. The plow took out the mailbox. I think they must have mailbox decals on their doors like the WW2 pilots had on their planes for the number of bombing missions or for the number of planes shot down.
Radar as of 5pm Eastern time looks like a few more hours of snow. The wind here on the Ridge has been ferocious all day, with about 12-18" of snow and drifts as deep as four or five feet. The stove kept us warm and toasty all day. Just brought in wood for the evening and overnight.
Kind of a bust, though the weather forecasters said 18-24". We got on the low side of that. Right on the coast (25 miles away) they got a solid two feet and still coming down.
I had thoughts of casting or reloading today but the wind was so high that it was driving snow through every little crack in the shed walls.....I would need a 100,000 BTU heater to get warm out there today.
All in all a nice day with plenty of snow, plenty of wind, and chores to take care of the house in this blizzard. Make no mistake....it was an out and out blizzard. Historic? No way.
The weather people blew it big time.

shooter93
01-27-2015, 06:52 PM
At times when listening to all the impending doom of Winter storm on the news I wonder how we managed to survive all these many Winters. It's been coming for centuries and I expect it to keep coming every year.

rockrat
01-27-2015, 07:10 PM
tough to forecast, as if the storm center moves a couple of hundred miles, things can change drastically. I know here in Colorado, if the storm system moves 100 more miles South of me, than where its forecast, we can go from forcasting 6-12" of snow , to partly cloudy instead.

SteveS
01-28-2015, 04:51 PM
It was a long, cold snow storm here. We got the 2' they were predicting. Fortunately, it was light and fluffy and a breeze to shovel.

We get a storm like this every year or two. Nothing historic but a dang good storm.

FISH4BUGS
01-28-2015, 05:42 PM
Now they are talking about another small one on Friday night and maybe a big one Sunday night. I work from home so as long as we have power we are good to go. My SO has lost a lot of business in the last 2 days with more losses coming. She is a self employed massage therapist and had to cancel all her appointments for Tuesday and most of today.
That's the only down side of the storms....losing business.

AK Caster
01-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Who would of thought..............snow in New England in Jan:)

jeepyj
01-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Where do you consider central maine? I'm just outside of Bangor. We ended up with 18-20" I plow for several properties just finished up at 5:30. Decent storm I don't mind the dry ones.
jeepyj

Central Maine and so far I have 2+ feet, and it is still coming down. Drifts anywhere from 3' to 5' not going to be able to clean any of this till tomorrow.

Edster
01-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Where do you consider central maine? I'm just outside of Bangor. We ended up with 18-20" I plow for several properties just finished up at 5:30. Decent storm I don't mind the dry ones.
jeepyj

West of Augusta. I landed up with a total of 30", took most of the morning to clean up and get it so we could get to the barns to take care of critters.

SSGOldfart
01-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Glad it's less than expected, stay warm and safe. It's 75 down here.
Same here and sunny today got to love Texas[smilie=f:

geargnasher
01-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Same here and sunny today got to love Texas[smilie=f:

Ya got that right. Saw three butterflies today, bright sun, calm, almost got to 70.

Gear

Silfield
01-29-2015, 06:57 AM
We are getting the tail end of Juno now-not much snow yet but strong winds and cold. The whole country will probably grind to a halt if we get more than a couple of inches:confused:. Got a call last night to go and clear a fallen oak tree, so its out in the 75 Landrover with the chainsaw tonight to go get a couple of tons of free firewood.
We have had a couple of minor earthquakes in the past 24 hours thou!

jeepyj
01-29-2015, 11:44 AM
I bought my wife a little Mazda Miata last year not far from you in Winthrop, Nice area. Jeepyj

West of Augusta. I landed up with a total of 30", took most of the morning to clean up and get it so we could get to the barns to take care of critters.

Geezer in NH
01-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Big deal we got 5-6 inch in Sandwich NH. We could have used the 20-24 inches that would have made our snow-trails ride able with out breaking parts. This from a sledneck

FISH4BUGS
02-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Well here we go again. I am inland from Portsmouth about 25 miles.
Let's see: the last week: Monday = 2+ feet. Friday, 8", tomorrow 12-18".
Hey...it's winter in NH....that's what happens.

w5pv
02-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Had enough of the cold country when I was going from job to job trying to make a living for my family in the early 70's.