PDA

View Full Version : American Sniper (stupid?) Question

HarryT
01-26-2015, 06:41 PM
I wonder why the US Marines have a Navy SEAL sniper attached in stead of using US Marine Scout/Snipers. I haven't read the book or seen the movie, so please forgive me if it is explained there.

waynem34
01-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Maybe he was just that good.I have not read it either or seen the movie.

runfiverun
01-26-2015, 09:37 PM
it was in case they needed an escape boat.

montana_charlie
01-26-2015, 09:43 PM
You just never know when you'll need a sniper who can swim 60 miles, blow up an entire harbor, then pick off the bad guy from 800 yards.

Pistol Champ
01-26-2015, 10:24 PM
It is explained in his book. It is a good read.

Lonegun1894
01-27-2015, 03:18 AM
A lot of operations are either joint by design, or you just happen to have several units in the area and they happen to run into each other and team up, or maybe one calls for help and whoever is close enough to get there does their best to get there in time to help. Strange things happen when things get exciting. I haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, so the above is based on things I have seen, and not specific to this exact operation shown in the movie.

Lead Fred
01-27-2015, 05:08 AM
The Marines are under the Dept of the Navy
Corpsman are than way too

ballistim
01-27-2015, 06:06 AM
It is explained in his book. It is a good read.

Glad I read the book before seeing the movie, made it easier to follow it knowing things like this explained in a way the movie can't. I thought the movie was done very well.

Doc Highwall
01-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Like the review from his wife, it is hard to tell about a persons life in 2 hours and get the point across as to the kind of person they were with accuracy.

MtGun44
01-27-2015, 02:53 PM
A while back things were rearranged into JSOC, Joint Special Operations Command to ensure that all
the Spec Ops folks work and train well together. The services all different have Spec Ops capable troops
and they all work together as needed. I know of an Air Force operator that works with all the other
teams regularly. Delta Force, SEALS, Special Tactics Squadron, others -- they all work together as
needed for a mission.

You did know that the USMC is part of the Navy, right? This particular one isn't too far afield.

Bill

youngmman
01-27-2015, 03:11 PM
I wonder why the US Marines have a Navy SEAL sniper attached in stead of using US Marine Scout/Snipers. I haven't read the book or seen the movie, so please forgive me if it is explained there.
The Marines are under the department of the Navy so having a Seal with a Marine division shouldn't be that unusual. I was a Seabee during Viet Nam with a mobile construction battalion and spent my whole deployment on various detachments to Marine units through out I Corps.