PDA

View Full Version : Shutting down Connecticut

Pigboat
01-26-2015, 02:03 PM
I've never even heard of an outright travel ban because of weather before.

http://patch.com/connecticut/westhartford/governor-malloy-issues-travel-ban-connecticut-monday-evening

Mike in TX
01-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Yep, eastern MA in 1978

osteodoc08
01-26-2015, 02:22 PM
And there will still be people out in it.

i feel bad for the first responders. They're gonna be overworked for sure. Not to mention lineman and everyone else in that type of work. Stay in, stay warm, stay safe.

Duckiller
01-26-2015, 02:45 PM
State Police shut down certain UP highways when I was going home from school one year. It was a truly blinding snow storm fortunately there was very little traffic. We evidently were just ahead of the patrol car shutting down the road along Lake Superior from Marquette and Munising. We heard on the radio that the road wass closed after we got past that reach. Don't know how bad it got. Road was clear when we went back to school. Winter of '63 or '64.

DR Owl Creek
01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
To quote Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket: "Better you than me!"

Dave

btroj
01-26-2015, 03:31 PM
We had 55 plus and sunny today. The east coast? They can have it.

MrWolf
01-26-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm just finishing up lunch. State declared emergency already. My building is closing at 5:00. Hopefully we will be off tomorrow. State stopped at 1:00 today and is already off tomorrow.

William Yanda
01-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Buffalo, NY area twice this season. My nephew lives 70 mi away from where his National Guard unit drills. Having to report when the roads are closed makes for exciting times.

DRNurse1
01-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Leaving for work in an hour...ugh. Only 2 inches accumulated so far but the wind is picking up. Can still see the ridge a mile away.

willie_pete
01-26-2015, 03:54 PM
I've never even heard of an outright travel ban because of weather before.

http://patch.com/connecticut/westhartford/governor-malloy-issues-travel-ban-connecticut-monday-evening

I was driving in a snowstorm from Pittsburgh Air Port to Parkersburg WV one night. I was making good time as I had not seen a single car on the road with me for over two hours. I got home and my wife said "how did you get here"? I said no problem with no traffic. She said the State Police closed down all roads four hours ago.:holysheep

WP

Houndog
01-26-2015, 08:36 PM
I think we are just now seeing the start of a weather pattern like we had about 20 years ago. Tennessee had temps as low as -34 in the mountains that year. I spent 3 days in the middle of an interstate in Wyoming because of blizzard conditions and snow drifts. Thank goodness I had a Kenworth (extremely well insulated), full fuel tanks and a weeks worth of food. I did have a couple in the truck with me that weren't prepared for that weather. I'm GLAD I don't have to do that any more and I pray the folks that do stay prepared!!!! Freak weather conditions can happen enywhere.

marvelshooter
01-26-2015, 08:43 PM
We are expecting 2 feet plus before it's over and yes we also have a driving ban after midnight.

gray wolf
01-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Yup , just spoke to my brother in Ct. off the road after a certain hour tonight.

Same for N.Y. 300 $$ fine if your out.

Julie and I are all buttoned up here in Western Maine but I don't think we will get more than a foot or so but you never know.

Anyway if your in it be careful and stay safe.

Sam

dragon813gt
01-26-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm right between the storm and we aren't getting a thing. Plenty of snow to the east and west. News was playing it up as the end of the world this morning. Forecast went from 12"-18" down to 3"-7". I was hoping to not go to work tomorrow :(

Janoosh
01-26-2015, 11:50 PM
Darn this global warming.!!

Not much yet where I am in N.Y., 70 mi north of NYC.

fast ronnie
01-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Fort Wayne Indiana in 1978. Couldn't drive on the road for two weeks, so I rode a snowmobile to work for two weeks. Didn't stop me, but a lot of people were in bad shape.