PDA

View Full Version : .45-70 reduced loads and fillers what's' current methodology?

Army03CRNA
01-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Hi all, long time lurker--first post here.

My questions first, the back story will follow. I hope I picked the appropriate place for my question.

What is the current methodology for using fillers with powders that don't fill the case with mild loads like IMR 4198?

Has anyone worked up mild-to-moderate loads with XBR 8208 and 350 grain cast boolits?

Now the back story:

I have a Marlin guide gun that I've been using either 14 grains of trailboss under a laser cast (Oregon Trail) 350 grain bevel base bullet (~1100fps as per my chrono) ,or 54 grains of Varget under a Remington 405 grain uhh, err, fully gas checked is it? :smile: projectile (at about 1700fps). The trailboss load is fun to shoot, has no recoil, but is only so-so accuracy-wise. Nothing I've worked up with trailboss has been awe inspiring. The other load is stout to say the least and is probably more than I need here in the Keystone State, but it was the best accuracy-wise when I was working up a load for that bullet. The difference between the two loads at 100yds is somewhere around 18". Not surprising, but not useable with one sight setting either. I've also tried round-ball loads, and shot loads and a shot load topped with a round ball for really short-range settings, but I'd like a better 100yd + load.

What I thought I would do (after much googling, reading this website and others) is work up a mild to moderate recoiling load--a subjective statement I realize--with IMR 4198 since I keep it on hand to load a couple .222 remingtons for use with the afore mentioned 350 grain laser cast boolits. Well, what I learned after that exercise is what a hang-fire is. I also know what unburned IMR 4198 looks like on new fallen snow. My loads were 27-28 grains of IMR 4198 and 32-34 grains of the same, the primers were CCI 200, and the brass was original loaded Starline brass. Why those ranges of powder? Well, I needed to start somewhere and after much reading it seemed the like the lower range listed was supposed to equal a black powder load and the higher loads were what others have stated gave good accuracy.
Nothing showed any promise. Well, not unless I conquer the vertical stringing that I've never seen before. That and the hang-fires. I thought I was dry-firing a time or two. One load of the four shot strings (I use a four shot string to test potential loads--we can discuss the statistical validity of that in another post) almost looked like four shots on a vertical line about 4-5" high.

Where do I go from here?

I've gone so far as to load the 32, 32.5, 33, & 33.5 grains of 4198 again but with the addition of a 1/4 square of toilet paper added to each case. I have fiber wads, but at only .060" they won't help me here.

I've also started with 48 grains of IMR XBR 8208 (I have it since it's really consistent in my AR's with those silly full gas-checked bullets) with ONE vegetable fiber wad (.060 thick) at the base of the boolit to help take up space and I'm going to load DOWN .5 grains at a time to 46--ish grains to see if I might have a decent load. Why did I choose to start at 48 grains? It almost fills the case with the bullet seated to length and the fiber wad in place. I figure (and many people have stated something similar) that filling the case with powder is easier than using a filler.

I'm not new to reloading--or casting--(since the late '80s--wow I really put that in print), and I've been a long time reader of HANDLOADER magazine. But working with the .45-70 and reduced loads has only been something I've doing for a few years--maybe longer, I'm not sure when a good friend of mine parted with this guide gun and I decided to give it a good home.

Any insight is appreciated--thanks!

btroj
01-25-2015, 10:25 PM
My Marlin loves a load of a 420 gr cast and 24 gr of 2400. I generally ignore using a filler as it adds a step I usually don't find necessary. If I want ultimate accuracy a filler may help but I shoot most of mine offhand so a small difference at 100 isn't gonna be noticed.

Vulcan Bob
01-25-2015, 10:30 PM
I've been using AA-5744 for reduced loads of 1,300fps with a 412gr bullet with no filler with rather good results out of my 1895 Marlin CB. It's made to be a bit bulkier to fill more of the case but there still is a lot of empty air in there but it works for me.

MtGun44
01-25-2015, 10:41 PM
10 to 14 gr of Unique under about any weight works really well for me, no filler, for
a nice moderate load.

When I really mean it, 57 gr of W748 under a 405 Rem JFP or 405 RCBS GC cast,
1750 fps and accurate as heck. This is a low pressure load, too.

Bill

Scharfschuetze
01-25-2015, 11:05 PM
My US Army Trapdoor carbine smokeless duplication load (45/55/405) qualifies as a reduced load or as a service load depending on how you look at it. It's downright scary accurate, consistent and easy on the shoulder. It will hold E type silhouette targets past 500 yards if you know the trajectory and have a capable rear sight.

Ingredients:

405 grain Lee 1873 hollow base boolit (any lead 405 grain boolit will do)
Case brand makes little difference
Moderate crimp (I use this load in leaver action rifles as well as Trapdoors)
CCI 200 LR primers
10.5 grains of Tightgroup
Average velocity 1080 fps, Es 10, Sd 4

No filler used, but I do slightly flip the muzzle up prior to the shot. As you can see, ballistic uniformity is equal to many black powder loads for the 45/70.

A similar amount of Bullseye generally gives similar results.

As always with these low volume loads, check and re-check your powder charge.

EDK
01-25-2015, 11:10 PM
I had used 2400 with 300 grain gas check boolits for years. About the same time I got a 350 grain plain base mould, I got a can of AA-5744. I like 5744 in the 45/70 and 30/30 so far. Only problem is it is pricey and harder to find than 2400. Search gmdr for various reduced loads

When I get access to a shooting range...hopefully soon!...I've got a new-to-me Guide Gun and my Cowboy rifle.

Toymaker
01-26-2015, 09:11 AM
23 or 23.5 grains of 4759 under a 405 grain bullet with a large pistol primer has given me excellent accuracy. Using 5744 instead has given equal results. The bullets were LaserCast, but I found them to be too hard and have started casting my own. I've experimented with fillers like toilet paper, cream of wheat, Dacron, etc. but found that Staples bio-degradable packing peanuts rolled to fit and cut to size did a wonderful job.

Elkins45
01-26-2015, 02:01 PM
I've experimented with fillers like toilet paper, cream of wheat, Dacron, etc. but found that Staples bio-degradable packing peanuts rolled to fit and cut to size did a wonderful job.

if you're talking about what I think you are, those are made from steam expanded corn starch. I can see how those would be a good option for a filler. Thanks for the tip.

Army03CRNA
01-27-2015, 08:33 PM
if you're talking about what I think you are, those are made from steam expanded corn starch. I can see how those would be a good option for a filler. Thanks for the tip.

I'm pretty sure I know what they are too. My son showed me how they disintegrate in water--I thought that was neat.

Thanks for the help. It seems the unofficial answer is to try a different powder. I've go plenty of the new CFE pistol on hand. Not a substitute for unique, but in that range. Maybe I'll try some loads with it after a little more research.

DLCTEX
01-28-2015, 01:27 AM
If you can find it, since it is being discontinued, 4759 is a great, bulky powder for the 4570 that needs no filler.

Lead Fred
01-28-2015, 02:31 AM
Ok Girls, how about a different approach.

Get yourself a Limb Saver 10003, screw on the butt, and fire the most hellaious rounds you can make.

42gr Reloader 7 puts a 425gr boolit @ 1750fps, and will kill anything on the planet that walks.
and you can shoot them all day long with out worry of squibs

Bird
01-28-2015, 02:55 AM
I have been loading 34.5 grains of imr4198 under 405grain lead and the remingtons of the same weight. Depending on what rifle you have you may need to go up a little more in charge weight. I use this load in a miroku 1886. No fillers or risk of a double charge. winchester or rem brass and plain old WLP. A comfortable load to shoot, and groups at 1.5'' at 100yds with the less than favorable factory sights.
Tried the w748 under the 405 remington bullet for top end load. very accurate, but found recoil became tiring very quickly. Called winchester, and they did not recommend w748, and had no data for it, so I quit using it.

Bird
01-28-2015, 02:59 AM
MtGun44,
What is the pressure for that load with the W748?

Wayne Smith
01-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Yup, go buy yourself a pound or two of 2400 and be happy. BTW, I'd love to see you get those 350gr Lazer Cast boolits in your .222! (Yes, I know what you meant, but your sentence can be read either way)

Bohica793
01-28-2015, 09:03 AM
I use 36 grains of IMR3031 under a NOE 460-405 powder coated. Very mild and accurate.

cajun shooter
01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
A case of F 1 1/2 or 2F will eliminate the need for fillers, shoot at a much lower PSI and give you a huge grin!!

Walter Laich
01-28-2015, 01:39 PM
I use a 1/4" disk of foam backer rod I got at Home Depot. It's in the weather stripping area. http://www.homedepot.com/s/foam%2520rod?NCNI-5 They have different diameters--I use 1/2 ".
I cut them with a razor blade and fill with powder, use a disk tamped down with a 3/8" dowel and then seat the bullet. Go down about half-way on this page: http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.2.html
I will say I am using my 45 Colt rifle load in it and there is zero recoil and you have a noticeable pause between firing and the steel target being hit at 150+ yards.
I enjoy shooting these mouse farts but YMMV

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2015, 06:48 PM
What we are witnessing here is one of the most important facts about the .45-70

You can load it with just about anything and get good results.

Mine is 25 gr of 5744 with a RCBS .45-300FNGC. 300 gr boolit.

Randy

wquiles
01-28-2015, 11:07 PM
I use a 1/4" disk of foam backer rod I got at Home Depot. It's in the weather stripping area. http://www.homedepot.com/s/foam%2520rod?NCNI-5 They have different diameters--I use 1/2 ".
I cut them with a razor blade and fill with powder, use a disk tamped down with a 3/8" dowel and then seat the bullet. Go down about half-way on this page: http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.2.html
I will say I am using my 45 Colt rifle load in it and there is zero recoil and you have a noticeable pause between firing and the steel target being hit at 150+ yards.
I enjoy shooting these mouse farts but YMMV

Cool, somebody else using that foam as well. I have tried the 1/2" foam with my 45/70 and the traditional pillow stuffing/Dacron, and I find the foam quicker & simpler to use. I am about to load some swagged round balls for fun, and will need the filler again :)

These here are a tad long, but it was how I was practicing cutting them:
http://m3coupe.com/Firearms/loads/45-70/490RBs/IMG_20141018_202846.jpg

Will

groovy mike
01-29-2015, 10:13 AM
My no recoil plinker load for 45-70 is 25 grains of H322 with no filler. On the occassions when I want to use filler (like loading 375 H&H with 15 grains of Red Dot) I just compress a cotton ball on top of the powder. It is more of a wad to hold the powder against the primer than a filler really. Works great for me.

Army03CRNA
01-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Yup, go buy yourself a pound or two of 2400 and be happy. BTW, I'd love to see you get those 350gr Lazer Cast boolits in your .222! (Yes, I know what you meant, but your sentence can be read either way)

LOL I guess it can! :p Well, if I ever do get those boolits in one of those cases, I'll post the pics here first! Trip planned to the fun store this weekend. I may bring home another cast boolit shooter, one that will also enjoy the 2400 I'll have on my list.

Part of my reluctance to just go add more powders is I'm swinging the pendulum (again) in my reloading set up to something more simple, or stripped down. There was a time I kept the number of different powders to an absolute minimum. Every powder had to serve multiple calibers--the fewer the better. Then I found myself with some extra time and cash to experiment with some of the newer powders out there, and now I see I have a lb of this and lb of that and I'm ready to start consolidating again.

This rifle (one of the first GG with the 18 1/2" ported bbl) has been somewhat of a safe queen, and I want to change that. And I always believe I can do better with this rifle with the proper reload, I have most of my other rifles figured out. So this winter I'm going to spend some time working up a good general purpose load. I have my mouse fart load (well, one that's ok), and the one that pounds me as much as the target. Now to find that one in the middle.

I really liked the idea of the 1/2" foam--thanks

I also tried w748 as per one of my reloading manuals--not sure which without looking so data is (was) out there. Varget was the better of the two.

As for the suggestion to just use BP. Stop that--please! ;) I'm sure it would be fun!! I know a few shooters who load it and shoot out to 1000yds. I have enough addicit..... err hobbies. Branching this one (reloading) off in that direction is a temptation I've been managing to resist. Mainly 'cause I can see a Sharps being added to the mix if I give in!