PDA

View Full Version : The great chili debate of 2015. Beans or no beans?

Pages : [1] 2

WILCO
01-25-2015, 09:31 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9a/d4/4b/9ad44b133896498c1a457adca1f27aa9.jpg

btroj
01-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Oh man, it has to have beans. We like a combination of black beans and kidney beans.

Rick Hodges
01-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Beans!!!!!!

ballistim
01-25-2015, 09:37 PM
I like beans for sure, all of 'em but must have red chili beans for me.
Chili with no beans is great for chili dogs, of course!

crawfobj
01-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Putting beans in chili is a hanging crime in Texas.

You'd have to call it something else if you put beans in it.

runfiverun
01-25-2015, 09:45 PM
umm it's spaghetti topping without beans.
chili means beans and chili's.

bear67
01-25-2015, 09:48 PM
As a Texican born and bread, my ol' Daddy always said. "Son, always remember that putting beans in chili is a direct path to Hell." I was a judge at the big world championship goat cookoff in Mason, Texas years ago and there happened to be a smaller chili cookoff going on over at the fairgrounds on the same weekend. Friend of mine from over in Rocksprings was rooting around in my pickup bed and I asked him what tool was he lookin' for. He said the judges over at the chili doings was looking for a rope to hang some dumb yank who entered chili with beans--indicated that beans might kill or at least cripple a real chilihead.

01-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Venison.. no beans..

btroj
01-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Dang Texans think they invented chili or somethin........

Beans I say, it's gotta have beans. I ain't makin warm salsa

bnelson06
01-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Gotta have beans

Kraschenbirn
01-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Raisin' the question of "beans or no beans?" has been known to start fistfights in certain parts of the country so I doubt we're really gonna come to a resolution here but, for the record, the recipe I've been cookin' up for the last 30+ years was semi-stolen from a 'Great Texas Chili Cook-Off' winner and DOES contain beans. (Over the years, my version has won a couple of local cook-offs, too.)

Bill

SciFiJim
01-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Real chili ain't got no beans! Beans are good eatin', and should have chili peppers in them, but it ain't chili iffin it has beans!

RoyEllis
01-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Chili.....beans, tomatoes, peppers and spices
Chili con Carne.....above ingredients with meat added
Regardless of what some "popular opinion" says, you CAN'T have chili without beans, but you can have meat in your chili. Chili being a Mexican dish that by far predates the Texas republic negates any texas claim to fame. And being a mexican dish, hence "con carne" or "with meat", means it was added to the recipe.
Next question Wilco?

Beagle333
01-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Beans. Definitely beans. http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/Syndog71/Emoticons/pot_stirrer.gif < Outlaw chili maker... uses beans! :mrgreen:

osteodoc08
01-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Gotta have beans.

And cornbread. I guess the question should be sweet cornbread or regular?

MT Gianni
01-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Chili and beans go great together, beans go on the side.

crawfobj
01-25-2015, 10:25 PM
Chili.....beans, tomatoes, peppers and spices

We call this a pot of beans.

DougGuy
01-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Well, I confess, I lived many years in Texas, BUT MY CHILI HAS BEANS!! (DougGuy runs like h*** now)! :bigsmyl2:

We use a mix, light red kidney beans, black beans, whatever we see that looks like it wants to go home and be in chili. Venison YES, and MUST have a tad of jalapeno vinegar, just gives it a slight 'ting on the tongue. My all-time favorite way to serve it, is with grilled cheese sandwich made on that multi-grain bread, and dill pickle slices on the side.

Gf made some North Carolina Sweet Potato Cornbread that is awesome, I think it would work great with chili. Recipe here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?260489-Thanksgiving-the-little-extras&p=3021812&viewfull=1#post3021812

crawfobj
01-25-2015, 10:26 PM

Sweet or jalapeņo. Or both.

bob208
01-25-2015, 11:07 PM
I hate beans all beans. I fail right out the gate with the shtf prepping. because I will not stock up on beans. the only use I can come up with for beans is to feed them to the hogs so I can make bacon.

so no beans in my chili.

crowbuster
01-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Beans beans the musical fruit, the more we eat the more we toot, the more we toot the better we feel, so lets have beans for every meal !!! beans. Gotta have lots-o-beans in the chili !!

tomme boy
01-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Red, black and northern beans go in mine.

texassako
01-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Eww, no beans should be in chili. The only good use for beans is baked, beans and sausage, or red beans and rice.

MaryB
01-25-2015, 11:38 PM
NO beans! Not much tomato either! 2 pounds hand chopped chuck, chili powder(regular and my homemade nuclear grade), onions, garlic, only an 8 ounce can tomato sauce, beef stock or base, beer, salt if needed. Brown meat in bacon fat, then saute onions and garlic until soft,add the main wimpy chili powder and saute that until fragrant, add the meat back along with a bottle or two of good ale, add the tomato sauce, add the beef stock or base(I use base). You want the meat to be just covered. When the meat is about half done I add a teaspoon of my homemade chili powder that is a blend of 12 dried chili's. Simmer until meat is tender, serve OVER BEANS if desired. Lots of cornbread, crackers, whatever you like to eat with chili.

Col4570
01-26-2015, 03:57 AM
Hope this does,nt cause an international incident but I am making Chilie con Carne today,Minced (ground)Steak,Tomatoes,Red Beans,Cannillini Beans,Onions,Ceyenne Peppers.Served with Rice It will taste good,it always does.With Garlic Bread,I know you Texicans might not like this recipe but hell I am way out of range here.

SciFiJim
01-26-2015, 04:02 AM
Hope this does,nt cause an international incident but I am making Chilie con Carne today,Minced (ground)Steak,Tomatoes,Red Beans,Cannillini Beans,Onions,Ceyenne Peppers.Served with Rice It will taste good,it always does.With Garlic Bread,I know you Texicans might not like this recipe but hell I am way out of range here.

:holysheep

Puts the bean/no beans thing into perspective!

Actually, it sounds like "red beans and rice" with some meat in it. Which is VERY good eating!

coloraydo
01-26-2015, 04:02 AM
Beans. Beans. Must have me some Beans.:p

wlc
01-26-2015, 05:19 AM
Oh man, it has to have beans. We like a combination of black beans and kidney beans.

Us too. Just made such a pot of that culinary methane factory this past week. BTW, it also has to be hot enough to make sweat pop out on my forehead by the second or third bite or it aint spicy enough.

Lonegun1894
01-26-2015, 05:27 AM
If someone else is cooking, I will eat it either way (and like it!). I mean, after eating my own cooking all these years, I have no right whatsoever to complain about anyone elses. However, if I am cooking, it gets no beans, and I make it spicy enough that my Mexican friends complain about it being too spicy. I keep being told that either I "aint right in the head" or that I "don't cook like a white boy". Oh well, more for me.

Cmm_3940
01-26-2015, 05:27 AM
NO beans! Not much tomato either! 2 pounds hand chopped chuck, chili powder(regular and my homemade nuclear grade), onions, garlic, only an 8 ounce can tomato sauce, beef stock or base, beer, salt if needed. Brown meat in bacon fat, then saute onions and garlic until soft,add the main wimpy chili powder and saute that until fragrant, add the meat back along with a bottle or two of good ale, add the tomato sauce, add the beef stock or base(I use base). You want the meat to be just covered. When the meat is about half done I add a teaspoon of my homemade chili powder that is a blend of 12 dried chili's. Simmer until meat is tender, serve OVER BEANS if desired. Lots of cornbread, crackers, whatever you like to eat with chili.

Mary,

that sounds really, really good.

...But it ain't CHILI. :-P

Beagle333
01-26-2015, 06:38 AM
'Looks like with beans is pulling way ahead in the poll! 8-)

NC_JEFF
01-26-2015, 08:22 AM
We refer to it as "chili beans" when its made as the main part of the meal and my wife uses pinto beans in her recipe. It is delicious. Anything simply referred to as "chili" is made in a smaller pot and goes on our hamburgers or hot dogs.

Hickory
01-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Beans.
Beans add to the refinement of even the most perfect chilli.

Col4570
01-26-2015, 09:11 AM
As a young man I was bedevilled with flatulatory discomfort after eating Beans but now I can consume vast quantities in dishes like chilie Con Carnie without the fear of being made a Hermit.I will go further and state that I admire the tolerance of my innards for welcoming those invasive ingredients.I used to think it was something I had said that caused folks to steer clear of me.:-P

texassako
01-26-2015, 09:13 AM
:holysheep

Puts the bean/no beans thing into perspective!

Actually, it sounds like "red beans and rice" with some meat in it. Which is VERY good eating!

I come from a long line of rice growers in southeast Texas. We eat everything on or with rice, including beanless chili.

btroj
01-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this poll is a real gas?

rosewood
01-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Beans, we need the fiber.

MakeMineA10mm
01-26-2015, 10:22 AM
We call this a pot of beans.
We called it "Bean Soup." My dad loved "chili," so we ate it about once a week. Of course, it was a traditional Northern home-made recipe with hamburger, kidney beans, tomato paste, and that reddish-brown powder that comes in a paper package at the store with "chili powder" written on it. And, lots of water. When we went to Texas to visit a service friend, we had real Mexican and Texican food, and that changed everything. We still made the old recipe, because dad liked it, but we changed the name to "Bean Soup." REAL chili has no beans (and no tomatoes). If it had started off that way, it would've been called "Beans with chili peppers," but it wasn't. It was called CHILI!

I was a nerdy kid (as opposed to being a nerdy adult now) when we went to Texas way back when, and I did some researching (P.I. - Pre-Internet) and learned that the original chili recipe was mainly just reconstituted dry red chilis with some flavoring. Addition of meat came later (con Carne) as did changing/adding to the flavorings. This "real" historical chili is not too different than the red chili sauce you can get today as a toping in most Mexican restaurants. And, I find it to be really, really good, if made mellow enough that I can taste the rich flavors. Too spicy (for me) and it ruins the flavor as the spice covers too much of the seasoning, and it's probably not true to the original.

Now, being Yankees, mom did decide to play with the recipe after we got back from Texas and had perfected the "real Texas" chili made without beans or tomatoes. (Back in those days, it wasn't as easy to get real dried chilis up North here.) Dad said he missed his beans (good grief), and we all agreed that a thicker recipe might be better. Original red chili is thick but runny at the same time. Kind of like generic ketchup (but 1000x tastier). We started playing with additions, and came up with several good-tasting recipes, but I wouldn't call them chili. One used peanut butter as a thickener (you can't taste it), and in one, sticking with the Texican spirit of things, added refried beans. Yes, it's beans, but you can't see them, they thicken the chili up nicely, and they keep to the spirit of the Texican flavor pallet. (Another think we tried as a thickener was masa, again to keep with the origins of the dish.) Even though we tried to be true to it's roots, and even though the refried bean variety is my favorite, it's still Bean Soup, because it AIN'T chili!

I found a key to playing with the recipe is to start with dried red chilis and never let them become a minor part or flavoring. They need to be front and center, no matter what you add, for every bite. Most "Bean Soup" is an amalgamation of flavors and you never know with each spoonful what you're gonna taste as the main flavor of that bite. I don't care for that...

Eww, no beans should be in chili. The only good use for beans is baked, beans and sausage, or red beans and rice.
You forgot "re-fried," but I'm just pickin' nits with you. I love refried beans!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-26-2015, 10:39 AM
I always make mine with beans

but I understand there is a certain cultural difference in regional chili

beans for some have the negative connotation of poor people food , even if it is just a regional thing now I believe it started as a social status thing

being a bean picker , just wasn't always cool probably not far from cotton picker

If it involves chili powder , pablono , jalapeno , or other peppers and is generally chilli like I will count it as chilli

yes, I Made my wife's favorite white chicken chilli yesterday , no tomatoes even , chicken , broth , pablano pepper ,onion , garlic , white navy bean , chick peas , heavy cream and sour cream , cumin , salt, pepper

last week it was my chili with black beans and red kidneys , tomatoes and ground beef , the week before it was my chili with venison and a batch of her's

around here you are were very likely to eat at a friends house and his mom made chili with macaroni in it and beans lots of beans , this was the depression era stretcher of meals add some noodles to any thing and it fed more on the cheap.

we joked and called it Yankee Chili even though we were hardly Yankees , but if you ever visited a Yankee historical site and paid close attention they cut corners any where it would not show to the outside one example is pull back the rug and find the beautiful hardwood flooring that you see stops 6 inches under the rug and it is box wood pine planks other things were open the door tho the second floor and see all the flooring was painted pine ,the oak stopped at the threshold of the door to the family space that visitors would not see.

chili here was also generally quite mild , remember we are mainly a bunch of Polish , German , Norwegian , Dutch , Finish , and Danish northern Europeans , in other words potatoes have a lot of flavor in our pallet so not much spice is needed. I thought my relatives liked things mild , then I met a finish girl in the UP she would eat a potato like an apple

bear67
01-26-2015, 10:54 AM
"Chili Mess"--more Texas chili legend. Much of my mis-spent youth when not hunting or fishing was spent in the local livestock auctions of NE Texas. I attended the sale for the feel of the auction, sometimes to buy calves, but mostly for the Barn Cafe. Every sale facility had an attached cafe that was ran only on sale days usually and opened about 3 in the morning and ran until 2 or so hours after the last run of cattle be it at 5 pm or 2 or 3 am in the next morning. Run might vary from 500 to 2500 depending upon season.
Every sale barn cafe served what we usually ordered as "Chili Mess". You got a bowl of their homemade chili/no beans and on every table was bowls of chopped onion, shredded chedder cheese, saltine crackers, tobasco and Louisiana Hot Sauce. You could ask for cornbread and it would be stuck in your bowl when served. Makes me want some right now. Mrs Williams ran the cafe at Regan Jenkins Thurday sale at Athens for years and I ate lots of her Chili Mess. My wife worked at 2 and sometimes 3 sale barns each week and since the office sometimes ran 24 hours, if I was planning on eating, the sale barn cafe was a chance to eat with my new bride. Times are a changin' and some of the barns now don't have a cafe or even a place to get coffee or a coke. Old time cattlemen and cattle buyers are a rolling in their graves!

VintageRifle
01-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Bean!

John Allen
01-26-2015, 11:13 AM
You got to have beans in chilli it would be immoral not to.

Col4570
01-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this poll is a real gas?

It is a pity we can,t harness it.

dakotashooter2
01-26-2015, 11:26 AM
So if it doesn't have beans isn't it just BBQ/sloppy joe ??????

Moonie
01-26-2015, 12:00 PM
My preference is no beans as I have a texture issue with them (think running your fingernails down a chalk board).

jeepyj
01-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Chili with beans over corn chips drizzled with sharp cheddar cheese.. yum
Jeepyj

SSGOldfart
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Dang Texans think they invented chili or somethin........

Beans I say, it's gotta have beans. I ain't makin warm salsa
Hard to believe I'm agreeing with a cornhusker but I've got to have beans in my chili other wise it's just hotdog sauce:holysheep:groner:

Bad Water Bill
01-26-2015, 12:44 PM
My recipe is way over 50 years old and came from a retired ARMY cook.

BEANS-BEANS AND LOTS OF BEANS

Now if you do not want the gas add some parsley,works every time.

No beans and all you have is a bowl of soup and slurping is forbidden.

gandydancer
01-26-2015, 01:03 PM
It has to have Beans "Home baked solder beans" for me to truly enjoy.

Urny
01-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Mrs Urny is in Missouri, so I was able to vote no beans without precipitating an uprising. If you have to have beans, homemade pork and beans is the way.

Uncle Jimbo
01-26-2015, 01:36 PM
NO, no beans. If I want chili con carney, I'll order it.
:2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

Char-Gar
01-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Chili Con Carne (chili pepper with meat) is pure Texas. It was born when the Mexican chili spices came in contact with the German meat stew that those square head idiots brought with them to Texas in the early 1850's. Their stupid polka music also collided with Mexican music to form Conjunto or as it has evolved Tejano music. I dispise the German/Mexican hybred music, but an a big fan of chili.

I will just say one thing and be done with this topic. Texans , at least those who hold fast to their roots, DO NOT PUT BEANS IN CHILI. I do not, will not, nor allow such to be done under my roof, or any other place over which I have control.

GT27
01-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Mmmmmm chili...BEANZ!

M-Tecs
01-26-2015, 02:47 PM
I dispise the German/Mexican hybred music,

Char-Gar just for you!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n04-zEPOk2A Enjoy:kidding:

crawfobj
01-26-2015, 02:58 PM
I do not, will not, nor allow such to be done under my roof, or any other place over which I have control.

Amen!

fouronesix
01-26-2015, 03:58 PM
No beans mixed in. Proper chili is: medium hot to hot red chili with fresh pork chunks and some skin in large pot slow cooked over open fire. No jalapeņos mixed in. Refried pinto beans on the side if desired. Eat (scoop) chili with lightly browned flour tortilla.

dagger dog
01-26-2015, 06:39 PM
I voted no beans, grew up in AZ,ya got chili, chili with meat "con carne", chili with meat and frijoles, also to be chili with beans they got to be pintos.

Ma always cubed the meat, pork, beef,mutton or venison into small 1/2-3/4" cubes, put a 1/2 cup chili powder made from ground peppers and 1/2 flour 'n' other spices into a paper sack, dropped in the cubed meat and coated it well, got the cast iron pot hot and added bacon grease and browned the meat, really it came out red, then added water to cover and added the rest of the chili powder and flour to make a red gravy lower the heat and cooked 'till tender.

On the other burner was a pot of pintos cooking seasoned with a couple smoked pork hocks. Served yourself, if you wanted chili with beans you added a couple cups of pintos and then added the chili con carne, the redder it was the hotter is was. Mom always blisterd some pablano chilies over the burners to slip the skins off and served a plate of roasted green chilies with her home made masa flour and corn tortillas you could fold them just right to make a spoon.

Where I live now they put spaghetti in their chili ????

nagantguy
01-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Black and white beans or brown or all with jalapeņo corn bread. Lots of chilli's is just a given.

1911cherry
01-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Beans in the pot but only use 239 beans or else....

Dale in Louisiana
01-26-2015, 08:43 PM
'Looks like with beans is pulling way ahead in the poll! 8-)

Obama got re-elected, too...

dale in Louisiana

Dale in Louisiana
01-26-2015, 08:47 PM
"People who know beans about chili,
Know that chili has no beans."

Or tomatoes, either. When chili was invented people still harbored the idea that tomatoes were poison.

Cook 'em separately, let your diners add as they see fit.

Chili recipe. (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=810)

dale in Louisiana

pworley1
01-26-2015, 08:50 PM
We make chili out of any kind of meat, but never without beans.

MaryB
01-26-2015, 10:03 PM
What? I mentioned beans... just don't cook them in my chili! Pintos on the side for me.

Mary,

that sounds really, really good.

...But it ain't CHILI. :-P

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Chili without beans is BBQ

MaryB
01-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Friend of mine made "chili". He started with a big can of baked beans, dumped in salsa and browned ground beef... I usually managed to say I had already ate...

shooterg
01-26-2015, 10:41 PM
I like chili - and I like beans, so I like chile beans. I'm of the eat 3 bowls with cornbread crowd either way !

castalott
01-26-2015, 10:52 PM
The only way to resolve this issue is for me to be judge. Invite me to each of your homes for a sample of what you think makes chili. I promise to judge fairly. Understand it may take several months and many, many repeats to be sure I have accurate data....

I don't need paid...this is a labor of love.....Dale

Charley
01-26-2015, 10:55 PM
Pinto beans on the side. Black beans and kidney beans are for Yankees.

crawfobj
01-26-2015, 10:58 PM
A little chili humor for you...

Warning - off color language inside.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/544975/posts

Col4570
01-27-2015, 02:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aczPDGC3f8U

Could this be Frank.
Scroll down for Mr Creosote blows up.

badbob454
01-27-2015, 03:09 AM
3 egg omlete chili with beans, american cheese, onions, and hot sauce to your liking fold over egg saltnpeppa yum great breakfast

Lonegun1894
01-27-2015, 04:04 AM
The only way to resolve this issue is for me to be judge. Invite me to each of your homes for a sample of what you think makes chili. I promise to judge fairly. Understand it may take several months and many, many repeats to be sure I have accurate data....

I don't need paid...this is a labor of love.....Dale

Let me know when you're around my part of Texas, and I hope you like it spicy.

hoosierlogger
01-27-2015, 07:16 AM
You can put beans in it, but you had better not put macaroni in it.

6bg6ga
01-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Chili without beans is like a day without sunshine.

My special chili recipe has home canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, green peppers, chili peppers, halipeno, ground round, onions,brooks chili mix, and some taco sauce. Some but not all the ingredients. Everyone loves my chili and it should be eaten with buttered crackers that have a spoonful of chili on top and then inserted into the mouth to enjoy.

I have had all different recipes of chili from no beaner to green bean chili and all I can say is there isn't a bad bowl of chili for the most part.

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2015, 10:20 AM
im a yankee and my chilli has beans and im not even beyond adding some macaroni to it but just for me as my wife doesn't like it that way. the macaroni thing came from days when feeding a large family on little money was the norm. Adding a bag of cheap macaroni about doubled dinner. Heck I even put some cheddar cheese in mine occasionaly.:p All I can say is ive ate that green chili stuff that's suppose to be real chili and I thank God that it morphed into something different. I never was one that wanted to eat something and just taste HOT. If you have to have a gallon of water to wash down supper then you sure don't like that taste in your mouth either.[smilie=b:

45 2.1
01-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Be sure to have him pin his address on him BEFORE he tries it.... we'll want him back to bury proper in the right spot.

Bad Water Bill
01-27-2015, 11:43 AM
A question for ALL Vets that have served in the last 50 years or so?

Did the military ever serve you Chilli WITHOUT beans?

DickelDawg
01-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Gotta' have some beans so I get some gas to cool off the afterburner!!

Smoke4320
01-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Beans or no beans if it tastes good I will eat it.. If not the dog gets it

I still remember the time with my wife and I lived off $20.00 a week for groceries and what I could kill.. I don't fuss too much about how something is made .. if its good I will eat it
I've stomached a tongue Taco and REAL kimchee .. cant get much worse than that

Sensai
01-27-2015, 12:23 PM
The chili pepper is what makes the difference between chili and what most folks call barbeque (that's another discussion). Chili don't gotz no steenkin' beans! Chili bean soup gotz beans. Both are good eatin', but only one is chili! :bigsmyl2:

shooterg
01-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Castalot is right - we need to judge the product . Need at least 3 judges, looks like me and Castalot just need one more volunteer. We can map out all the entrants and slowly traverse the country while impartially judging all the chili. To be fair we will award a prize for best chili and also best chili w/beans, plus an overall Champion Chili winner, who will wear the Champion Chili Cap for one year before defending his/her title. None of us can be bribed with money, maybe you could slip us a few pounds of type metal or pure under the table for extra points...

Kent Fowler
01-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Putting beans in chili is a hanging crime in Texas.

You'd have to call it something else if you put beans in it.

People who put beans in chili don't know beans about chili.

rondog
01-27-2015, 01:09 PM
I think there's as many ways to make chili as there are colors of paint, everybody has their own recipe. I grew up eating chili with beans, so beans it must have. I'll eat it without, but I miss them. Since I've had gastric bypass surgery, I have to concentrate on eating as much protein as possible, and beans have protein! So, gimme beans.

This'll really tweak the Texans, but I likes my chili with crackers and a shot of apple cider vinegar in it as well! So there.

DLCTEX
01-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Good chili don't need no stinkin beans!

jaysouth
01-27-2015, 10:52 PM
I am a former member of the International Chili Society and judged a number of Chili cookoffs in Virginia and NC. chili samples that contained beans or visible sign of tomato were not judged.

Having said that, I had a 10 gallon steam kettle in a restaurant that I owned and operated that cooked off at least one batch of chili daily. Texas style chili with NO beans. However, there was a pan of cooked pinto beans on the steam table that could be ladled over your chili if you so chose. I also served the same chili over spaghetti (chili-mac) a bowl of Fritos (Chili pie) or rice (Corpus Christi style)

The most ordered was chili mac with raw onions, pinto beans, grated cheddar and sour cream (called 5 way on the menu). Served on the table with corn bread squares and a bottle of pepper vinegar. There were also several dozen brands of hot sauce on a shelf around the dining room. I also sold a lot of buttermilk and beer to go with the chili dishes. There was actually one other chili dish called "wet shoes". it was a large order of boardwalk style fries covered with chili, cheese and onions.

I also got a lot of sales from a dish called the "Rochester Garbage Plate". It was two hot dogs on buns smothered with a large ladle of chile, boardwalk fries, from scratch baked beans and from scratch cole slaw. However it happened, Saturday was a big day for the 'garbage plate'.

Bottom line, it is OK to put beans over chili, if that turns you one, but NO, you do not cook the two together.

nicholst55
01-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Good chili don't need no stinkin beans!

Totally agree! It's called chili con carne, not chili con frijoles!

fragman
01-28-2015, 01:31 AM
Like beans in mine. In fact like more than one kind of bean.

Lonegun1894
01-28-2015, 02:20 AM

The military served me all kinds of things that were misnamed for the sake of us trying to eat them anyway. I mean, the only things they were honest about were when they labeled things as "MRE"-- Depending on who you ask, that usually stood for "Meals Rejected by Everyone" or "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians". And yes, I ate MREs and liked them too. Like I said, after eating my own cooking, I will eat about anything. But I know the difference between chili and bean soup.

Lonegun1894
01-28-2015, 02:24 AM
Be sure to have him pin his address on him BEFORE he tries it.... we'll want him back to bury proper in the right spot.

Next you'll be wanting proof that his life insurance is paid up and his wife has a good copy... :)

triggerhappy243
01-28-2015, 02:38 AM
Red or green?

Col4570
01-28-2015, 03:25 AM
Enjoyed my meal last night,I will not give it a name but here goes.Ground Steak browned in the pan,Onions just softened,4 chopped Cayenne peppers seeds and all,1Can of Red beans drained,1 Can of Cannellini Beans drained,1 can chopped Tomatoes,simmered and stired,Salt,Pepper,served on a bed of long grain Rice.Nice background heat without scalding the Tonsils.

6bg6ga
01-28-2015, 07:09 AM
I am a former member of the International Chili Society and judged a number of Chili cookoffs in Virginia and NC. chili samples that contained beans or visible sign of tomato were not judged.

Having said that, I had a 10 gallon steam kettle in a restaurant that I owned and operated that cooked off at least one batch of chili daily. Texas style chili with NO beans. However, there was a pan of cooked pinto beans on the steam table that could be ladled over your chili if you so chose. I also served the same chili over spaghetti (chili-mac) a bowl of Fritos (Chili pie) or rice (Corpus Christi style)

The most ordered was chili mac with raw onions, pinto beans, grated cheddar and sour cream (called 5 way on the menu). Served on the table with corn bread squares and a bottle of pepper vinegar. There were also several dozen brands of hot sauce on a shelf around the dining room. I also sold a lot of buttermilk and beer to go with the chili dishes. There was actually one other chili dish called "wet shoes". it was a large order of boardwalk style fries covered with chili, cheese and onions.

I also got a lot of sales from a dish called the "Rochester Garbage Plate". It was two hot dogs on buns smothered with a large ladle of chile, boardwalk fries, from scratch baked beans and from scratch cole slaw. However it happened, Saturday was a big day for the 'garbage plate'.

Bottom line, it is OK to put beans over chili, if that turns you one, but NO, you do not cook the two together.

I think anybody that orders chili over macaroni or spaghetti needs their head examined. I've eaten hundreds of meals in greasy spoons over the country. Many try to pass off their home made type of chili as a good wholesome meal. Most tasted like **** but the people living in the area must of gotten used to it or had cast iron stomachs. Bottom line ...if you find a chili that suites your needs then eat it.

rosewood
01-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Guys, I have to say, I thought Chili was supposed to have beans. At least that is the way we usually see it here in GA and so I developed my recipe using red beans in mine. I guess I don't see where the bulk of a dish comes from when you don't have beans and diced tomotoes. What goes in the chili other than meat? And how can you have chili without meat? To me, the bulk is beans, tomatoes, and meat, the rest is just spice and flavoring.

So how about giving us some of those bean less recipes so I can try them out and get the "Texas" side of the debate.

Thanks,

Rosewood

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2015, 07:57 AM
I guess its what your used to. Real spaghetti donesnt have tomato sauce in it either. We had an old Italian that lived next door to us as kids that barely spoke English and hed cringe when you called what we call spaghetti Italian. I guess chili like pulled pork varies from region to region. Just like cornbread, Gumbo and many other things. Sorry but that doesn't make yours right and someone else's wrong, just different. Id about bet youd find some Mexicans that would claim that Texans don't know how to make it either and id bet theres even a taco bell or two in tx and az :holysheep. Who would want to live in a world where everyone ate the same thing? Part of the fun of eating is trying new things.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Guys, I have to say, I thought Chili was supposed to have beans. At least that is the way we usually see it here in GA and so I developed my recipe using red beans in mine. I guess I don't see where the bulk of a dish comes from when you don't have beans and diced tomotoes. What goes in the chili other than meat? And how can you have chili without meat? To me, the bulk is beans, tomatoes, and meat, the rest is just spice and flavoring.

So how about giving us some of those bean less recipes so I can try them out and get the "Texas" side of the debate.

Thanks,

Rosewood
Rosewood,
Take this with a grain of salt,
but this Native Minnesotan suspects,
that it's a highly prized Texas sized secret
:bigsmyl2:

psst ....Big secret is...

meat and chili peppers ...the vegetable, not the powder :bigsmyl2:

quilbilly
01-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Oh man, it has to have beans. We like a combination of black beans and kidney beans. Ditto's although I occasionally will throw in some pinto's. When I have some, buffalo makes the best.

JB Weld
01-28-2015, 12:02 PM
When Mrs. Weld makes chili, there is no telling what she will throw in the pot. It always has some kind of bean in it.
I don't have to cook it, so I just eat it and tell her how good it is!

My responsibility is to fill the freezer up with ground venison. :drinks:

Bad Water Bill
01-28-2015, 12:03 PM
A TRUE TEXAS CHILLI RECIPE

1 Gal of red ditch water
Peppers so hot even dry ice melts instantly

Heat over a low flame just long enough to find someone foolish enough to try it.

Have at least 3 teams of paramedics standing by at all times.:bigsmyl2:

rosewood
01-28-2015, 12:18 PM
I guess its what your used to. Real spaghetti donesnt have tomato sauce in it either. We had an old Italian that lived next door to us as kids that barely spoke English and hed cringe when you called what we call spaghetti Italian. I guess chili like pulled pork varies from region to region. Just like cornbread, Gumbo and many other things. Sorry but that doesn't make yours right and someone else's wrong, just different. Id about bet youd find some Mexicans that would claim that Texans don't know how to make it either and id bet theres even a taco bell or two in tx and az :holysheep. Who would want to live in a world where everyone ate the same thing? Part of the fun of eating is trying new things.

This is true. Tomatoes are a New world food. Before the Columbus Exchange, Europe had never seen tomatoes. However, I do believe after it was introduced to Europe, the Italians did begin using it in their dishes. Same thing for Potatoes, but bet the Italians eat them now. :)

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2015, 02:33 PM
yes they use them now but you see more of them in chunks in pasta dishes then as a sauce. You also see more white sauces in real Italian food then red sauces. Allot of the pasta is eaten with nothing but garlic and butter. Another thing that's a bit different then here is we tend to use burger in spaghetti and for meat balls and they tend to use sausage more. We all know that a good Italian pasta dish is much better then some firery hot green chills with some burger thrown in. If I want that taste in my mouth I can light off a bic lighter in there :-P Some good burger or sausage in a tomatoe sause with some mild yellow and red peppers, a pinch of a good hot pepper and so chunks of tomato and some BEANS have a much more complex flavor then a bic lighter in the mouth[smilie=b:
This is true. Tomatoes are a New world food. Before the Columbus Exchange, Europe had never seen tomatoes. However, I do believe after it was introduced to Europe, the Italians did begin using it in their dishes. Same thing for Potatoes, but bet the Italians eat them now. :)

rosewood
01-28-2015, 03:18 PM
yes they use them now but you see more of them in chunks in pasta dishes then as a sauce. You also see more white sauces in real Italian food then red sauces. Allot of the pasta is eaten with nothing but garlic and butter. Another thing that's a bit different then here is we tend to use burger in spaghetti and for meat balls and they tend to use sausage more. We all know that a good Italian pasta dish is much better then some firery hot green chills with some burger thrown in. If I want that taste in my mouth I can light off a bic lighter in there :-P Some good burger or sausage in a tomatoe sause with some mild yellow and red peppers, a pinch of a good hot pepper and so chunks of tomato and some BEANS have a much more complex flavor then a bic lighter in the mouth[smilie=b:

I love me some diced tomatoes in my Soup, Chili, Spaghetti, black eye pea soup. Don't like the raw though. Have tried sausage in pasta dishes and for some reason, like plain hamburger better or maybe it was the type of sausage they used I didn't like. Guess I would make a terrible Italian.

I do like the complex flavor you speak of.

6bg6ga
01-28-2015, 08:17 PM
All this chili talk had me making a batch for dinner. Yes, it has beans;)

wills
01-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Chili does not have beans in it.

JWFilips
01-28-2015, 10:29 PM
To Quote: "Sheldon Cooper" ....Chili has no beans in it!............ "Chili" with beans!!!!....It's very good..... whatever it is!

TXGunNut
01-28-2015, 10:31 PM
I was raised on something called chili, it had ground beef, tomato sauce and kidney beans in it. I survived, but that dish will never be served in my house. I make a great pot of beans and a decent pot of chili, but never both in the same pot. I even put cracked red peppers in my cornbread on chili days.

Lonegun1894
01-29-2015, 02:14 AM
Look everyone, I wanted to see if these Yankees were on to something, so made chili and beans in the same pot. It IS possible! I made the beans last night, and it was good. My dogs loved it too. Then I washed the pot. Washed it again. Then made chili tonight. Same pot, as I said earlier. Now I don't see how anyone would be so goofy as to make chili and beans in the same pot, unless you have some fancy pot with a divider in it to keep them from mixing and letting the beans contaminate the chili. The dogs and I all approved of the chili tonight too. Now if my dogs can handle my spicy chili, I don't see how any grown man could have a problem with it.

MaryB
01-29-2015, 02:44 AM
No it is not authentic texan, and I now cook the chili powder in the oil a bit to get it to bloom the flavors and add it at the beginning for the mild. Second addition of chili powder goes in right before it gets done so it doesn't mellow as much. When I make it for myself nobody else in MN I know will eat it... sweat starts after 2 spoonfuls. I usually thicken it a tiny bit with some masa flour, I like my chili thick enough to stand a spoon in.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chili

Recipe By :Mary Brown
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds beef chuck -- chopped in 1/4 inch pieces
12 ounces beef stock
8 ounces tomato sauce
1 can beer or maybe 2(just enough to cover for thick chili, use more for thin)
1 tablespoon salt to taste
1 large onion -- coarsely chopped
4 teaspoons bacon grease
4 tablespoons chili powder -- mild
3 tablespoons chili powder; hot -- hot, I use my own blend. To taste, might try 1 tablespoon to start
2 cloves garlic -- chopped fine

Fry meat seasoned with the salt in the bacon grease until browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.

Add 1 can of beef stock and the beer and simmer for 1 hour or until meat starts to get tender.

Add tomato sauce and the mild chili powder. Simmer for 45 minutes.

Add the hot chili powder, simmer another 30 to 45 minutes.

Serve with crackers, sour cream and cheese if desired.

Beans are optional for you non chili heads, drain and add during the last 10 minutes of the cook.

castalott
01-29-2015, 07:39 AM

I would like to do that when/if I retire.... I feel blessed to have had some mighty fine chili and would like some more...Can I have iced tea in a quart jar?

castalott
01-29-2015, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=shooterg;3110313]Castalot is right - we need to judge the product . Need at least 3 judges, looks like me and Castalot just need one more volunteer...

Sir, I accept your company...But be warned I intend to travel in my '77 Nova (Hawaii car-no rust but I'll need to refresh it) I'm also known to waste my time at gun shows, museums of all kinds but especially military ones with ships and warbirds, and places of fine food...

castalott
01-29-2015, 08:02 AM
Enjoyed my meal last night,I will not give it a name but here goes.Ground Steak browned in the pan,Onions just softened,4 chopped Cayenne peppers seeds and all,1Can of Red beans drained,1 Can of Cannellini Beans drained,1 can chopped Tomatoes,simmered and stired,Salt,Pepper,served on a bed of long grain Rice.Nice background heat without scalding the Tonsils.

Dear Sir, If I ever get the chance to visit England, might I impose on you for such a meal? I promise to bring funny stories of misspent youth and shooting. As my heritage is English, Irish, Scottish, French, American Indian. and German, we are practically cousins!

Dale

Lloyd Smale
01-29-2015, 08:15 AM
looks like another war us Yankees are winning:popcorn: poll looks like about 2 to 1 in favor of beans

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Strange

NOT ONE VET has reported back that the chilli served them while in service was really a bowl of soup.

I therefor propose that all Chilli HAS BEANS as my recipe was presented to me by a RETIRED Army cook well south of 50 years ago and it DOES CONTAIN BEANS.:bigsmyl2:

LOTS OF BEANS.:drinks:

btroj
01-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Anyone who knows beans about chili knows it has beans.

Col4570
01-29-2015, 09:33 AM
The Navy gets the gravy but the army gets the Beans.

Lonegun1894
01-29-2015, 11:18 AM
looks like another war us Yankees are winning:popcorn: poll looks like about 2 to 1 in favor of beans

It is merely Half-time, Kind Sir! May I suggest that we fight this one from around a big table with a lot of pots of various chili and a few Southern Belles running around? I knew we were missing something here....

45 2.1
01-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Next you'll be wanting proof that his life insurance is paid up and his wife has a good copy... :)

Nope, just the stuff necessary to get him home and planted. He don't take well to hot stuff and will require a couple gallons of sweet iced tea.

castalott
01-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Nope, just the stuff necessary to get him home and planted. He don't take well to hot stuff and will require a couple gallons of sweet iced tea.

Just a couple of gallons? :-P I like hot that makes you sweat but not that takes your breath away...

Dale in Louisiana
01-29-2015, 04:07 PM

Equally as valid a statement as "Eat sh*t - billions of lies CAN'T be wrong"

dale in Louisiana
(who believes Texas has it right on a lot of things, among them chili and barbecue)

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2015, 04:24 PM
It is indeed a sad time here.

So few folks could afford to put beans in their chilli for so long that they now believe it is a bad thing to put beans in chilli.

hoosierlogger
01-29-2015, 04:49 PM
This is the recipe I use. Notice it doesn't have tomato juice in it. This is good hearty stick to your ribs chili! http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/78299/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Looks delicious.

To avoid having neighbors call a HAZ/MAT team out because of the toxic gas escaping from your residence add a large hand full of either fresh or dried parsley to the mix.

Been adding it for over 30 years and never even a squeek since.

smokeywolf
01-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Don't like being a fence sitter, but I like it both with and without beans. Depends on my mood and what kind of meat is going into the chili. Venison chili should not have beans in it; beef or turkey can.

Use chili (no beans) to make a quick and simple dip.

4 cups refried beans
2 cups chili
Heat thoroughly in a big fry pan
Turn off heat
Throw in 2 cups HOT (as in spicy) salsa
2/3 cup mexican blend grated cheese
Stir it in, scoop out a bowl full.
15 to 20 minutes to great bean dip.

Like mine with a little kick, so I add a half cup diced jalapeno.

We keep homemade chili canned on the shelf and some frozen.

smokeywolf

SSGOldfart
01-29-2015, 05:37 PM

Nope even the chilli mac in "C rat"s and "K rats" had beans in it

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Nope even the chilli mac in "C rat"s and "K rats" had beans in it

SEE SEE SEE

Would your government EVER steer you wrong?

Please do not answer that under grounds of self incrimination.:bigsmyl2:

seaboltm
01-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Beans in chili????? People do that??????? Suppose I have spent too much time in deep south Texas.

Col4570
01-30-2015, 04:35 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen it is only a Poll there is nothing to raise a stink about.

Bad Water Bill
01-30-2015, 05:06 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen it is only a Poll there is nothing to raise a stink about.

You have obviously never been in a home 4 hours AFTER a real bowl of chilli was served for supper.

In some homes it has been reported that not only were the walls turned to a green color but the wall covering actually pealed off of the walls.

triggerhappy243
01-30-2015, 05:39 AM
i have made chile both ways. with and without beans... with and without meat. iffin it rubs you the wrong way, dont sit at my table. btw................ chile is a vegetable.

triggerhappy243
01-30-2015, 05:39 AM
that aught to ruffle some feathers now EH?

Col4570
01-30-2015, 06:42 AM
You have obviously never been in a home 4 hours AFTER a real bowl of chilli was served for supper.

In some homes it has been reported that not only were the walls turned to a green color but the wall covering actually pealed off of the walls.
My Staircase needs the paint stripping and sanding, do you think a Texas Chillie would do the Job.

leftiye
01-30-2015, 07:11 AM
Chile technically is salsa (pepper sauce). Con carne means with meat (is chili even without meat). They don't even get around to saying con frijoles, but they (mexicans) do put beans and everything else but rocks in it just as we do. It makes a great stuff to throw almost any leftover into when you can't figger out what to do with it. I like it con carne, frijoles, and over rice. Or on crackers. The jalapenos go in whilst making salsa rojo.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2015, 07:17 AM
break out a couple jugs of shine, im on my way:-P
It is merely Half-time, Kind Sir! May I suggest that we fight this one from around a big table with a lot of pots of various chili and a few Southern Belles running around? I knew we were missing something here....

MaryB
01-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Deer camp+ chili+ way to much beer at night... I slept in my van one night to escape the stench, my sisters joined me! Mom swore at us for abandoning her to the stink for the night but she said she was not sleeping outside in the cold.

Col4570
01-31-2015, 05:26 PM
There is a certain amount of regional pride going on in this Chillie debate.To some it is a sore point and they need to cool it.

triggerhappy243
01-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Cool it? This is one of those threads that just begs for the input that is being posted. Everyone has their right to their own opinion. "chili" is the topic being discussed. "chile" is a vegetable. Fact. "chillie"?...... Dress warmer.

depoloni
01-31-2015, 06:05 PM
Chili without beans? What the heck is that??

I think I ate a few times... on a hot dog... it was delicious. :)

TXGunNut
01-31-2015, 06:24 PM

Doesn't make it right. Obummer won two elections, just for an example. ;-)

smokeywolf
01-31-2015, 06:46 PM
There is a certain amount of regional pride going on in this Chillie debate.To some it is a sore point and they need to cool it.

I think you might be, in a polite and diplomatic way, referring to Texans and the pride they take in what they believe constitutes a genuine and traditional pot of chili. The vigorous and deep seated pride that Texans have in their State, their history and their customs is in fact what draws older, more traditional Americans (like myself) to wish we could become 'adopted' or 'reborn' Texans.

smokeywolf

wills
01-31-2015, 08:48 PM

That's what I was thinking. Anyone who would eat beans with his chili would vote for obummer.

triggerhappy243
01-31-2015, 09:32 PM
No-no not true. Beans have lots of fibre it is a whole nuther food group. Dont mix beans with the libtards.

triggerhappy243
01-31-2015, 09:34 PM
Besides they make a great deadly weapon.

TXGunNut
01-31-2015, 09:37 PM

It's all in good fun, a little regional food squabbling is good entertainment on venues like this.

crawfobj
01-31-2015, 10:52 PM
All this chili talk and the 45 degree rainy weather inspired me. Cooked up a pot of venison chili in the Dutch oven on the stove and it turned out fantastic. Nothing like a little frito pie to get you through the nasty weather. Oh, and not a bean in sight. No reason to fix what ain't broke.

I always figured that putting beans in chili was a cheap way to make the good stuff go a little farther. I'll put it on my list if things I pray I never get hungry enough to eat, like possum.

Made It even better that the main ingredient was my son's first deer!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/31/dc940cb01694b9403eb67c79c92d1639.jpg

triggerhappy243
01-31-2015, 11:11 PM
Too cool

Lonegun1894
02-01-2015, 02:37 AM
All this chili talk and the 45 degree rainy weather inspired me. Cooked up a pot of venison chili in the Dutch oven on the stove and it turned out fantastic. Nothing like a little frito pie to get you through the nasty weather. Oh, and not a bean in sight. No reason to fix what ain't broke.

I always figured that putting beans in chili was a cheap way to make the good stuff go a little farther. I'll put it on my list if things I pray I never get hungry enough to eat, like possum.

Now THAT is going to make an excellent pot of chili. Congrats to your son, and you too since I bet you helped get him to this point!

Col4570
02-01-2015, 03:34 AM
I think you might be, in a polite and diplomatic way, referring to Texans and the pride they take in what they believe constitutes a genuine and traditional pot of chili. The vigorous and deep seated pride that Texans have in their State, their history and their customs is in fact what draws older, more traditional Americans (like myself) to wish we could become 'adopted' or 'reborn' Texans.

smokeywolf
Actualy my reference to sore point and cool it was to the effects some people have after eating chillie.

triggerhappy243
02-01-2015, 05:18 AM
To some, chile.... Or chili, is a cultural thing.

Green chile chicken enchiladas with yes, beans and rice.... Is a favorite in these parts.

Erich
02-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Right on, Triggerhappy!

WILCO
02-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Right on, Triggerhappy!

Welcome aboard Erich!

Erich
02-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks, amigo-I've been here a while, but I don't have much helpful to add. :)

perotter
02-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I won't eat it if it isn't at least 50% kidney beans. But its' been years since I last had it.

I don't know why, but this thread has made me hungry for potato soup.

Bad Water Bill
02-01-2015, 11:54 AM
I suspected WILCO has been slipping.

Now he is "WELCOMING ABOARD" Erich.

Wilco ,he became a family member here the month BEFORE you did.

Is there ANYTHING we can do for OLD Wilco???[smilie=s:

WILCO
02-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Dang! My bad. Must've been the dashing smile in the Avatar that told my brain "Hey, there's a new guy!".

6bg6ga
02-01-2015, 04:10 PM
The percentage of people eating chili with beans still tops chili without beans according to the poll.

6bg6ga
02-01-2015, 04:11 PM
I won't eat it if it isn't at least 50% kidney beans. But its' been years since I last had it.

Now just think.....we could start a thread about potato soup

rondog
02-01-2015, 04:44 PM

Holy cow, look at the muffler on that hot rod! No doubt that's one proud young'un too!

DougGuy
02-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Beans it is, got a small (8 qt) pot simmering away in there now, just posted the recipe here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?267782-Souperbowl-Chili-Sorry-Texans-There-Are-BEANS-In-This-Chili!&p=3117764&viewfull=1#post3117764

Simmer Fi!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/DougsOwnKickButtChilli2015_zps8d93aff3.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/DSC03478_zps8ae9797d.jpg.html)

tnpaw
02-01-2015, 05:27 PM
If'en it weren't fer beans, we would have starve to death at our house! Pot on stove 24/7! No matter time of day a bowl could be had! And it were cornbread made with Cracklins and Cow salve butter or my favorite Cold biscuits! Bust biscuits open float'em with bean soup, and then sink with pinto beans! Onion on top and fresh churned Buttermilk! Now back to this question about chili, got to have beans (pinto) along with all the rest! Ma can't ate it to spicy, so she fixes to suit her taste, I always have my home grown, home ground chili peppers sitting on table! Which I use heartily on most of my Vittles! Ain't no wrong way to make it, as long as you do!

crawfobj
02-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Holy cow, look at the muffler on that hot rod! No doubt that's one proud young'un too!

It's Quieeeeeeeet! That, and a skinny 8yr old can handle factory .308 loads no problem. No recoil at all! There were even bigger smiles BEHIND the camera on this one!

Blue Ghost
02-01-2015, 10:50 PM
This reminded me of a email I got a few years back, sorry it's kinda lenthy:

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spic y; and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge 3."
Here are the scorecard notes from the event:
CHILI # 1 - MIKE'S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI.
Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) -- Holy ****, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.
CHILI # 2 - AUSTIN 'S AFTERBURNER CHILI.
Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.
CHILI # 3 - FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI.
Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
Judge # 2 -- A bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting sh**-faced from all of the beer.
CHILI # 4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC...
Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. woman is starting to look HOT... just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?
CHILI # 5 LISA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER...
Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming.
CHILI # 6 - VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY...
Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb
Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I messed on myself when I farted, and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except for Sally. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my rear with a snow cone.
CHILI # 7 - SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.
CHILI # 8 - BIG TOM'S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI.....
Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend of chili's. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it, poor feller, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?
Judge # 3 - No Report

triggerhappy243
02-01-2015, 11:17 PM
One of my all time favorites.

MaryB
02-01-2015, 11:25 PM
That is on the menu this week, lots of bacon, onion, celery, milk...

castalott
02-02-2015, 12:17 AM
God is good. Such a wonderful country we live in....I hope we get to keep it...

castalott
02-02-2015, 08:33 AM
oh...Forgot the rest...you are making me hungry...

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2015, 08:52 AM
yup hes just another southerner:-P

perotter
02-02-2015, 09:38 AM
That is on the menu this week, lots of bacon, onion, celery, milk...

I haven't had in years and never with bacon in it. I'm going to have to get Ma's recipe.

rosewood
02-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Here is the authority on chili. Got to be authentic if you buy it in the grocery store. See it says right there on the can.......:kidding:

mph911
02-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Everything you need to know about Chili is covered by Frank X. Tolbert in his book ​A Bowl of Red.

gandydancer
02-02-2015, 09:02 PM
I make mine the way I like it. If you don't like it my way I don't give a rats butt.

twc1964
02-02-2015, 10:23 PM
To fart or not to fart....that is the question. I like some beans in mine but i can appreciate a bowl of red too. My wife and daughter dont like me much when i eat my chili with beans. Thats what fabreze is for...isnt it?

triggerhappy243
02-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Now we are getting off topic for sure.

TXGunNut
02-02-2015, 10:34 PM
yup hes just another southerner:-P

Yup! Sho Nuff! lol

Erich
02-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Dang! My bad. Must've been the dashing smile in the Avatar that told my brain "Hey, there's a new guy!".
Always great to be welcomed, regardless of when a fellow signed up. [emoji1]

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2015, 10:05 AM
If we didn't pick on him he would get awful nervous.[smilie=s:

jumbeaux
02-03-2015, 02:09 PM
For the chili with beans voters...all I can say is: "bless your hearts..." If you are from Texas you know what that means...

rick

MaryB
02-04-2015, 02:25 AM
Okay potato soup on tomorrows menu...

Col4570
02-04-2015, 02:45 AM

This is how I do it,Cut up a couple of Leaks and soften in Butter,add diced Potatoes and mix for a while with the softened Leak,make up a Stock with Vegetable Cubes (OXO or similar),bring to the boil and simmer for a while,add Salt and Pepper,When potatoes are soft whiz it down and serve with garlic Bread.Simple but nice,it can be Bulked up with Carrots,Parsnips,Celery,Lentils etc but then it would be vegetable soup.
Getting back to Chilie,I still go for it with Beans.

triggerhappy243
02-04-2015, 04:41 AM
Spelling class boys and girls.................................. Chile... This is a vegetable.

Chili............. This is a stew of sorts with or without beans.... The subject of this thread.

Lonegun1894
02-04-2015, 05:26 AM
For the chili with beans voters...all I can say is: "bless your hearts..." If you are from Texas you know what that means...

rick

+10!!!

Lonegun1894
02-04-2015, 05:30 AM
This is how I do it,Cut up a couple of Leaks and soften in Butter,add diced Potatoes and mix for a while with the softened Leak,make up a Stock with Vegetable Cubes (OXO or similar),bring to the boil and simmer for a while,add Salt and Pepper,When potatoes are soft whiz it down and serve with garlic Bread.Simple but nice,it can be Bulked up with Carrots,Parsnips,Celery,Lentils etc but then it would be vegetable soup.
Getting back to Chilie,I still go for it with Beans.

That sounds good. Hope you don't mind if I try it, and probably steal it?

JWFilips
02-04-2015, 07:25 AM

Now...... will that have potatoes in it? :-P

6bg6ga
02-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Don't you know that real potatoe soup doesn't have any potatoes in it? ;)

6bg6ga
02-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Ever notice that the fast food places like Wendys have chili with beans?

shooterg
02-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Since this thread started we've had chili 3 times - with beans.

rosewood
02-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Spelling class boys and girls.................................. Chile... This is a vegetable.

Chili............. This is a stew of sorts with or without beans.... The subject of this thread.

Chile is also a country in South America. :)

Col4570
02-04-2015, 10:34 AM
That sounds good. Hope you don't mind if I try it, and probably steal it?

Be my guest , you know that sometimes all the elaborate meals can be PITA to prepare.At times it is good to get something on the Table quickly.There is a lot of BS in cooking that can lead us away from good honest simple stuff.Enjoy.

WILCO
02-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Bump!

MaryB
02-05-2015, 02:23 AM
Potato soup, recipe is over in cooking

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/IMG_20150204_1847335021_zps06a0e5c8.jpg

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2015, 02:30 AM
Potato soup, recipe is over in cooking

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/IMG_20150204_1847335021_zps06a0e5c8.jpg

MMMMM

Can Girty and I come over for supper tonight?

Please, Pretty Please?

MaryB
02-05-2015, 02:51 AM
Leftover the next 2 nights, good thing for tomorrow with PT. She found my left scapula has froze up, probably scar tissue from torn tendons in the car accident and likely the source of my shoulder and arm pain on the left side.

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2015, 03:02 AM
Girty jist kicked off her nice warm blankie and kicked open her stall door saying she was gunna git a dish of GOOD soup.

IF you see a very cold OLD mule at your back door have mercy on my OLD gerl.

Pleze

Lloyd Smale
02-05-2015, 07:59 AM
mmm! cheese potatoe soup

aiken
02-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Equal amounts of kidney, red, black and pinto beans. yummy

Cmm_3940
02-05-2015, 10:52 AM
If it doesn't have beans in it, it's just hotdog sauce.

km101
02-05-2015, 12:25 PM
If it has beans in it, it ain't chili.........it's stew!

No real chili cook would ever think of putting beans in chili. I don't think it's even LEGAL! :)

(but every now and then I might trip and accidently spill some beans in the chili pot......for my out-of-state friends!);)

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2015, 12:42 PM
If it has beans in it, it ain't chili.........it's stew!

No real chili cook would ever think of putting beans in chili. I don't think it's even LEGAL! :)

(but every now and then I might trip and accidently spill some beans in the chili pot......for my out-of-state friends!);)

Now please tell us how your chili was prepared when you were in the Army?

I do have the recipe that was used in the mess for over 20 years.

Presented to me by a retired Army cook over 50 years ago and it DOES have 2 types of BEANS in it.

They MAY have deleated the beans today because some would be offended by the noise or fragrance of passing toxic gasses.

Not many REAL men left out there today.:drinks:

rosewood
02-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Beans, beans, good for the heart....

triggerhappy243
02-05-2015, 06:11 PM
......and there is a town called chili in... of all places, NEW YORK. WHAT? GET A ROPE.

Cactus Farmer
02-05-2015, 06:14 PM
I'm from Texas and we know chilli ain't got no beans! You can add some after cooking but not before.

WILCO
02-06-2015, 12:45 AM
I'm from Texas and we know chilli ain't got no beans! You can add some after cooking but not before.

Thanks for sounding off Cactus Farmer!
Always great to see you on the boards.

Ron in PA
02-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I like beans and some corn in it to

edler7
02-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Either way, it's all good.

Except for that Cincinnati chili stuff...bleahhhhh

Bad Water Bill
02-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Except for that Cincinnati chili stuff...bleahhhhh

I accidentally stopped into one of their chilli (Boston type) dumps and ordered a bowl.

Yup a medium sized bowl of colored water.

.50 for black beans
.50 for pinto beans
.50 for meat
.50 for green peppers

Now add that to the $3.00 for the bowl of colored water and you will know why I walked out.

Yes the waitress also said I did not know what REAL chili was.

Lloyd Smale
02-07-2015, 10:04 AM
got to be some traitorous southerners here cause the beans are winning two to one!

WILCO
02-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Yes. Beans seem to be popular.

Lonegun1894
02-07-2015, 11:59 AM
got to be some traitorous southerners here cause the beans are winning two to one!

Nah. But how do you expect this poll to come out half way accurate when there's just one Texas and 49 other States that only some of the population of which knows how to make chili correctly? We're kinda outnumbered a bit.

Besides, putting beans in chili isn't traitorous, just misguided. I mean, it's not like they voted for O'Zero!

triggerhappy243
02-07-2015, 12:50 PM
You mean obambi?

Lonegun1894
02-07-2015, 05:14 PM
I mean the current Traitor-in-Chief, regardless of what name we use for him. But this being a family site... :)

wills
02-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Everything you need to know about Chili is covered by Frank X. Tolbert in his book ​A Bowl of Red.

ORIGINAL TEXAS-STYLE CHILI
from A Bowl of Red by Frank X. Tolbert

3 lbs. lean beef, preferably stewing meat
2 oz. beef suet (or substitute vegetable oil)
3-6 Ancho chile pods, boiled 5 minutes, cooled, stemmed, seeded and chopped, cooking water reserved. (or 3-6 Tbsp. chili powder or ground chile)
1 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. crushed cumin seed
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
2-4 minced garlic cloves, to taste
2-4 extra Ancho chile pods
2 Tbsp. Masa Harina or cornmeal

Cook suet until fat is rendered. Remove suet. Sear meat in fat in 2 or 3 batches. (Use oil for low cholesterol, less grease.) Place meat in large pot with pepper pods and as much of the pepper liquid as you think you'll need to keep the meat from burning. About two inches of water rising above the meat is usually right. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Add rest of ingredients except Masa and extra Anchos. Simmer 45 minutes more, covered. Stir only occasionally. Skim off grease. Taste and adjust seasonings. If not hot enough to suit you, add extra Ancho pods which have been stemmed and seeded, but not chopped. Add Masa Harina to thicken liquid. Simmer for another 30 minutes until the meat is tender. Variation: Wick Fowler made his prize-winning chili basically the same way, but he did not use suet and added 15 oz. of tomato sauce. He never served the chili on the day of its conception, but kept it in the refrigerator overnight and skimmed off the grease the next day, then added Masa Harina upon heating the chili if it was too thin.

http://www.abowlofred.com/FXTChili.htm

wills
02-07-2015, 10:22 PM

Speaking of Potato Soup, I had some in New Mexico,where they call it Green Chili,

triggerhappy243
02-07-2015, 10:28 PM
What you had, more than likely, was green chile stew. It has taters in it.

bikerbeans
02-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Can I change my vote to "no beans"? I have had kidney problems most of my life and dialysis is in my future and my new doc says no beans!:groner: On second thought maybe I will stick with beans and find another doctor. Ain't getting old fun, done complaining

BB

country gent
02-07-2015, 10:42 PM
I made potato soup a week ago was good and like chilli the left over gets better each time its heated up. I make a very simp;e potato soup. A package of ham shanks and 3 peeled patatoes in the slow cooker the night before. In the morning remove shanks and mash the potatoes with a little mik and butter in the broth. remove bones and shread meat adding back to pot. Peel and dice a potato add in. finely diced sweet onions a small grated carrot. salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cook all day in the slow cooker.

Dale in Louisiana
02-07-2015, 11:31 PM
The percentage of people eating chili with beans still tops chili without beans according to the poll.

I eat chili with beans, I just don't COOK the beans in the chili. I make a pot on the side. Add 'em if you want 'em.

dale in Louisiana

TXGunNut
02-08-2015, 01:06 AM
Leftover the next 2 nights, good thing for tomorrow with PT. She found my left scapula has froze up, probably scar tissue from torn tendons in the car accident and likely the source of my shoulder and arm pain on the left side.

God bless PT's and massage therapists. They know what's working like it should and tell us what's amiss....so we can tell the docs. ;-)

TXGunNut
02-08-2015, 01:13 AM
I made blackeyed peas today. Can of Rotel was the only chiles in sight, needed garlic. If you want to know what real chili tastes like re-read Will's post of Tolbert's recipe.

Blanket
02-08-2015, 01:22 AM
I make my chili pepper spiced pot of bean soup, have never had a bowl of real Texas chili. On the other hand don't think I want to

Bad Water Bill
02-08-2015, 01:38 AM
If you REALLY want to know why them Texians are loosing here Well it is real simple.

No it is not because the other 56 (B H Os count not mine)states are picking on them.

So far we have had 29,987 replies from Texians and no two can agree on the same recipe.

And now you know the rest of the story.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

crawfobj
02-08-2015, 10:45 AM
You can always tell a Texan. It's just hard to tell 'em much!

km101
02-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Now please tell us how your chili was prepared when you were in the Army?

I do have the recipe that was used in the mess for over 20 years.

Presented to me by a retired Army cook over 50 years ago and it DOES have 2 types of BEANS in it.

They MAY have deleated the beans today because some would be offended by the noise or fragrance of passing toxic gasses.

Not many REAL men left out there today.:drinks:

Bill, I never saw any chili the entire time I was in the Army. At least not anything I recognized as chili. But there were LOTS of things on the chow line that I did not recognize, and so would not eat. :)

I really did not know that Army cooks made chili! If I had known that it was supposed to be chili, I might have tried it just for reference.

km101
02-09-2015, 01:19 PM
If you REALLY want to know why them Texians are loosing here Well it is real simple.

No it is not because the other 56 (B H Os count not mine)states are picking on them.

So far we have had 29,987 replies from Texians and no two can agree on the same recipe.

And now you know the rest of the story.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Bill, that's because chili (real chili) is like whiskey, cigars, guns and horses! Everyone has his own opinion of what is perfect for him!
A real chili-head will have his own recipe, and will defend it against all comers, 'cause that's what tastes best to him, never mind what anyone else thinks!

Dale in Louisiana
02-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Bill, I never saw any chili the entire time I was in the Army. At least not anything I recognized as chili. But there were LOTS of things on the chow line that I did not recognize, and so would not eat. :)

I really did not know that Army cooks made chili! If I had known that it was supposed to be chili, I might have tried it just for reference.

that's because on Tuesday it was spaghetti sauce, and on Wednesday they added beans and called it 'chili'.

dale in Louisiana
(Nine years of army messhalls)

ohland
02-10-2015, 10:40 PM

Hmm, being a confirmed Northerner, I was brought up with yellow cornbread. Matter of fact, Jiffy Cornbread is the Food of the Gods... Favorite way to use dry cornbread - crumble up enough to cover a plate, spoon chili on it, cover that with more cornbread. Nuke if cold, otherwise, add a good hot sauce, mix, and enjoy!

For a simple but tasty addition to Jiffy Cornbread, add 1TB of buttermilk powder and 1/4 cup minced, dry onions to the dry cornbread mix before adding the wet ingredients. Stir all dry ingredients, fold in milk/egg mixture.... Process... About 20 minutes later, the crust will be a nice golden brown....

MaryB
02-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Jiffy is good but use 2 eggs instead of 1, makes it a lot moister.

TXGunNut
02-11-2015, 12:40 AM
A real chili-head will have his own recipe, and will defend it against all comers, 'cause that's what tastes best to him, never mind what anyone else thinks! -km101

I'll fess up to about 90% of my recipe but then most good chili recipes are pretty much alike. A good chili cook has a few secrets and will also vary his recipe to suit his mood or guests...right up to the point of ruining it with beans. That's where he'll draw the line. ;-)

WILCO
02-11-2015, 10:38 AM
192 members have voted thus far and it's "Beans" in the lead.

rosewood
02-12-2015, 02:36 PM
I didn't know Jiffy was yankee. My mom brought me up on Jiffy in south Georgia. I do like me some hoecake corn bread also.

rosewood
02-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Hey Wilco, what did you vote for?

WILCO
02-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Hey Wilco, what did you vote for?

I haven't voted yet. I'm always interested in the thoughts of others.

WILCO
03-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Bump!

slim1836
03-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Just remember, if beans are added, use no more than 239 because 1 more makes it too farty.

Slim

Handloader109
03-05-2015, 12:56 PM
If you don't have beans you can't make gasses :bigsmyl2:

Bad Water Bill
03-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Just remember, if beans are added, use no more than 239 because 1 more makes it too farty.

Slim

:groner::groner: pfarrrrt:bigsmyl2:

BAGTIC
03-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Chili was a native American dish that far predated Mexicans or Texans.

Lonegun1894
03-09-2015, 05:47 AM
Chili was a native American dish that far predated Mexicans or Texans.

Do you have any specific? Never heard this before, but it makes sense cause it wouldn't be the first native food that was adopted (corn comes to mind as the easiest example). Also doesn't hurt that I like having old recipes and such.

Moonie
03-09-2015, 11:53 AM
I love to share my recipe, but then I'm an Open Source guy and share everything. Never understood why someone would want to keep something like that to themselves. Share the wealth. I've developed my chili recipe over several decades and I think it is perfect. In fact, I have shared my chili recipe on this forum and would do so again if asked. To do it right you do need to make the chili powder listed at the end of the recipe, it makes a difference, and the chipotle chili powder also is worth getting for it.

Silfield
03-09-2015, 12:18 PM
No beans for me! Thats because I just dont like them (or what they do to me) I put a can of sweetcorn in instead.

Bad Water Bill
03-09-2015, 12:28 PM
No beans for me! Thats because I just dont like them (or what they do to me) I put a can of sweetcorn in instead.

As I have said before,if you do not want to toot add lots of parsley.

Never heard a toot over the last ???????? years from anyone I shared a bowl with.

tdoyka
03-09-2015, 08:34 PM
beans, beans
good for the heart
the more you eat
the more you fart

i like beans...:happy dance:

frkelly74
03-10-2015, 10:13 PM
how do you make a bean chile?

fast ronnie
03-10-2015, 10:48 PM
how do you make a bean chile?

Put him in the ice box!!!!!!

frkelly74
03-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Yeah,hehehehe.

wills
06-11-2015, 06:20 PM
What you had, more than likely, was green chile stew. It has taters in it.

The menu called it green chili. I knew it would not be any thing I would recognize as chili, and tried it to see what it was like. It was actually good.

TheDoctor
06-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Beans should be a dish on their own. If you have to mix chili with beans, one or the other has something wrong. Like beer that has to be cold, if it has to be cold to taste good, its crappy beer!

David2011
06-18-2015, 02:23 AM
My current address says New Mexico but I can literally see things in Texas from my front yard. Spent most of my life in Texas.

Chili without beans is BBQ

Sorry; BBQ and chili are NOTHING alike other than having meat in them. NOTHING!

Pinto beans on the side. Black beans and kidney beans are for Yankees.

Yup. After reading the whole thread not too many Texians voted for beans. Yankees (pretty much everywhere but Texas) seem to think it's OK to cook beans into chili.

i have made chile both ways. with and without beans... with and without meat. iffin it rubs you the wrong way, dont sit at my table. btw................ chile is a vegetable.

Right, chile is a vegetable and chili is meat. In Texas style chili cook-offs beans in the chili are a disqualification. There is to be nothing identifiable other than meat in the chili- no other solids.

I eat chili with beans, I just don't COOK the beans in the chili. I make a pot on the side. Add 'em if you want 'em.

dale in Louisiana

Yessir, that's doing it right.

Beans should be a dish on their own. If you have to mix chili with beans, one or the other has something wrong. Like beer that has to be cold, if it has to be cold to taste good, its crappy beer!

Agreed!

David

Bad Water Bill
06-18-2015, 05:05 AM
Darned if he isn't awful proud of the tomato soup he added some hot sauce to.

bbailey7821
06-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Both ways are great! I even make mine with some sweet corn thrown in sometimes!
:veryconfu

MaryB
06-19-2015, 12:05 AM
Hey I do not put beans in chili and I live in MN!

bnelson06
06-26-2015, 11:35 PM
I thought we Minnesotans put beans in everything, chilli is just another type of hotdish ;)

MaryB
06-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Not in chili! NEVER! lol