PDA

View Full Version : Medication assistance

fatelk
01-25-2015, 08:07 PM
I just thought I'd mention something we found out recently, might help out. If you have expensive prescriptions and high co-pays/deductibles, it might be worth calling the drug manufacturer to see if they have any sort of assistance program.

Our insurance changed at work (resisting making negative political comment:(),and we paid out a small fortune last year. This year we have an HSA with a high deductible and no provisions for co-pay, everything out of pocket for the first few thousand.

My young son requires an expensive medication that costs over $30k/year. We were looking at paying a decent chunk both before the deductible is met and then our percentage after insurance. The doctor said to call and ask the drug manufacturer about "co-pay assistance", so my wife did. The doctor said another patient had a $75 co-pay and the drug company covered all but $5.

Long story short: they will cover almost the entire cost that the insurance doesn't, including our deductible! It's not necessarily charity; I expect they would rather make a little less than have a patient switch to something else. I assume that the bulk of the expense with drugs like this is the development cost, rather than cost of manufacture. Either way, it's a huge load off of us. I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else is in a tight spot like this and might be able to see if this would work for them also.

buckwheatpaul
01-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Great post...should help a lot of people that are living on the edge....

Bonz
01-25-2015, 09:00 PM
excellent post, thanks for sharing

btroj
01-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Some of these programs do have limitations. People on govt paid insurance often are excluded, those on Medicare Part D, federal employees, and Tricare.
Do yourself a favor and read the fine print before you start yelling at your pharmacist. Please.

nicholst55
01-25-2015, 09:23 PM
A large part of the cost of prescription medications in the USA is to allow the pharmaceutical companies to sell the same drugs for a lower cost in the developing world. In other words, you and I are subsidizing the cost of meds for people in poorer countries! The drug companies figure that per capita, you and I can afford to pay significantly more for the same drug than people in other countries, so they can make back some of the difference. Isn't it great to live in America?

Don't believe me? Ask your doctor or pharmacist.

Don't get me wrong - I've traveled to several other countries in the world, and there's no country that I would rather live in. I spent 20 years in uniform, and I still work for the federal government. I just don't like getting bent over for things like this.

WILCO
01-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Handloader109
01-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Wife has been on Elequis and Ticosyn and another blood thinner in past year. All three have programs that allowed us to pay $10 per month. And I have good insurance and good job, not limited by incom

fatelk
01-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Some of these programs do have limitations.

I figured that was probably the case. I don't really know any more particulars on how it works, just that it's a huge help for us. "Your mileage may vary"

And I have good insurance and good job, not limited by incom
Yeah, I forgot to mention that as well. They didn't ask any financial questions at all, other than the particulars of our insurance coverage. I was shocked to find out just how much they will help. I wish I had known how this all worked last year; it could have saved us thousands!

btroj
01-26-2015, 12:03 AM
Search online for the drugs website. If nothing else get a phone number and call and ask.

The discounts apply to newer, brand name medications. As price increases so does the likelihood of an assistance program.

Never hurts to call and ask, worse they can do is say no. Excellent post fatelk, I bet many here didn't know about this.

MaryB
01-26-2015, 12:43 AM
I used these guys when I was without insurance http://rxoutreach.org/ and they also can cover medicare patients. And medicare has assistance in many states for low income people, make sure you look it up. With my tiny income my copays are $2.60 generic and $6.80(I think) for brand names. Yes you guys are paying for it, but I paid through the nose for taxes for 27 years working so I do not feel bad using the system and getting some of it back!

dakotashooter2
01-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Pet meds are the way to go... same as human drugs..... low cost... dosage is lower but you just take more and it's still cheaper...............LOL................

Bored1
01-26-2015, 02:13 PM
In the clinic that I work at we routinely recommend assistance programs from the manufacturers to our patients. The # of people that just don't want to "hassle" with a phone call and paperwork is astounding honestly! Most drug companies have their own program, and the few I have dealt with that don't are more than happy to refer you to one that helps with their medication if they don't have their own setup.

Also don't hesitate to discuss any financial concerns with your doctor! A lot of times there is something else that can be prescribed that is a cheaper/covered option. We spend a lot of time on the phone with insurance companies figuring out ways to get our patients what they need at a price they can afford.

wv109323
01-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Most all drug companies offer a pharmaceutical assistance program. Qualifications vary from company to company. The clinic I go to has a social worker that will help you manage the paperwork. They can look at your medicines and tell you which companies offer programs to help you with meds. There are independent companies that offer assistance with the paperwork but they range from free to very expensive and leave all the footwork to you.
The websites of most drug companies have the applications you need to fill out for consideration. My income is so low I qualify with 3 or 4 companies.