PDA

View Full Version : A dog, a yard, and SNOW

Naphtali
01-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Where I live, my fenced yard receives at least three feet of snow by Christmas. Because of altitude and precipitation tendency, snow accumulation remains at least this much until June. So between late November and the middle of the following June backyard and the meadow just beyond have a lot of snow. Accumulations of as much as nine feet have occurred within the last five years.

Has anyone modestly priced suggestions and/or recommendations for managing the yearly snow accumulation that allow a medium-sized dog (too large to be a "house dog" in my home) to enjoy life comfortably in yard and meadow? Insulated dog house is no problem. The dog stepping off the porch and disappearing in snow is.

kenyerian
01-25-2015, 01:58 PM
My son has a Norwegian Elk Hound that he rescued from the shelter. Great medium sized dog very friendly and loves the snow.

runfiverun
01-25-2015, 02:25 PM
you could try an area of snow fence to break up a small patch of open area.
of course you need wind to make it work.
another thing you can do is run a fence facing the south and stain it a dark color, this generally keeps a small patch at the base open.
the dog will follow this path and lay there on sunny day's.

other than that it's pine trees planted close enough to provide both the wind break and provide an umbrella effect.

popper
01-25-2015, 05:30 PM
A snow blower?

shooter93
01-25-2015, 06:30 PM
When my Newfoundland got older she had trouble in the deep snow so even though it was a lot of work I used the snow blower to clear a large area of the yard for her. I'd finish the driveway and then start on the yard. Made things easier for her.

LynC2
01-25-2015, 07:09 PM
A snow blower?

That is what I was thinking. Make a few trails around for it to navigate the yard or get a Malamute or Husky. :Bright idea:

Blammer
01-25-2015, 10:57 PM
I'd just get it some snow shoes and teach him how to use them.

A snow break would work, fence, trees type thing.

MaryB
01-25-2015, 11:01 PM
My lab Misty would make trails, I would see her disappear into the snow and pretty soon it would cave in, she would come bouncing out and pack down her run to the one spot the wind kept swept open

DCM
01-25-2015, 11:27 PM
I too have used a snowblower in the past but we don't get snow 5'-9' deep in our yard even in a bad year.

waynem34
01-25-2015, 11:43 PM
It ate all the snow?

Bogart
01-26-2015, 08:10 PM
That is what I was thinking. Make a few trails around for it to navigate the yard or get a Malamute or Husky. :Bright idea:

That's what I do for my German Shepherd. He expects it now. If I pay attention to him he will even show me where he wants them. A little extra work but he is worth it

LUBEDUDE
01-27-2015, 02:17 PM
My Dad's Border Collie dives in and disappears, then her tail shoots straight up like a periscope.

Then you see that flag of tail moving through the snow like Pac-Man. :)

Moonie
02-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Need a Great Pyrenees, they love the snow, and they dissapyre in it.

fecmech
02-06-2015, 04:18 PM
My Shelty loves the snow and is not generally bothered by the deeper snow when doing her business. Lately we've had quite a bit on the ground and it's getting a little harder for her. We were walking in a snowmobile trail next to the railroad tracks and she needs to go. She usually goes up on the outside of the tracks but the snow was too deep for her there. The next thing I saw was her balancing on the rail with all four paws on the track. I have seen foxes walking the rail in deep snow while hunting mice but not my dog. I guess you do what you have to do.