PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Bush People

troyboy
01-25-2015, 09:41 AM
What is the story behind this family. How did they purchase property buy boats etc. Who are they?

cajun shooter
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
It's the same as all of the other so called reality shows that seem to attract a good size viewing audience for the tv tycoons that produce them. I take a Will Rogers approach to all of these types of programs and that is "I believe nothing that I read and only half of what I see" It's all set up, I will say this about the so called Bush People. They have all been in some remote location as I've never heard an accent like they speak in my 68 years. Take Care David

Janoosh
01-25-2015, 10:19 AM
If you listen to the intro, it seems the father is an author, and was a fisherman. They do have ALOT of new gear for "Bush" people.
You have to remember....."It's TV"....and not "Reality".

Skunk1
01-25-2015, 10:37 AM
My wife and kids watch all that stuff. Can't hardly gut out an hour show. As far as buying all that stuff I'm sure the network pays them handsomely for airing there so called bush people show. Makes it a whole lot easier to buy land, boats and new tools with fiberglass handles when you get free money to make a fool of yourself.

Superfly
01-25-2015, 01:25 PM
If you are talking about the Browns There Actually from Texas LOL.

Firebricker
01-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Skunk, It is not free money. That is a lot of work making a fool out of your self at that level ! To bad nobody would vidio tape me I would be rich LOL FB

Dhammer
01-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Its fake.

Think about watching a country boy who has been hunting, doing whatver that pops had him doing it with him since diapers. Yeah, it can be pretty impressive. Even if there has been a few year break. Perfect example, my uncle grew up butchering cattle on the farm. He hated it and would get sick to his stomach. So he learned to be even faster. 15 years later at least no cattle butchering, my cousin and I'd play all stupid trying to gut the deer and then skin it. Hed finally get frustrated push us out of the way and he'd be puking off to side and be done in seconds literally while gaging, choking etc. It was amazing and funny as all get up to watch. Wed do it every year to BIM too. Think trained soldier, fisherman etc. There's just a way they do things because of years of experience.

There are a lot of things from a hunting, outdoor perspective, no way can I believe a bush person would do. Rookie mistakes. Some ways they carry themselves, I. Woods. Just doesn't make sense and screams they haven't don't this a lot. Watching them shoot the other day was pretty hilarious too. Take a deep breath and shoot. ;)

runfiverun
01-25-2015, 02:28 PM
the story is they were all dropped on their head as baby's.

Dhammer
01-25-2015, 02:32 PM
[smilie=b: thumbs up to you sir. I believe you hit the nail on the head literally

Janoosh
01-25-2015, 03:17 PM
+1 R F R.....now THAT......sounds like reality.!!

DLCTEX
01-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Made for TV drama for the most part. Working cattle without using the squeeze chute so boys could learn. If they waited to that age to get innitiated in working cattle then they weren't raised on a working ranch. Most of what they portray speaks greenhorn city folks.

Janoosh
01-25-2015, 05:51 PM
Not to be confrontational, but,....I do believe you have the multitude of Alaska "Reality" shows mixed up.

Skunk1
01-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Grew up on a hog farm. Know what it's like. Every morning, every night, no breaks from the schedule. 400 head every year the old fashion way in the mud and $&@?

Its fake.

Think about watching a country boy who has been hunting, doing whatver that pops had him doing it with him since diapers. Yeah, it can be pretty impressive. Even if there has been a few year break. Perfect example, my uncle grew up butchering cattle on the farm. He hated it and would get sick to his stomach. So he learned to be even faster. 15 years later at least no cattle butchering, my cousin and I'd play all stupid trying to gut the deer and then skin it. Hed finally get frustrated push us out of the way and he'd be puking off to side and be done in seconds literally while gaging, choking etc. It was amazing and funny as all get up to watch. Wed do it every year to BIM too. Think trained soldier, fisherman etc. There's just a way they do things because of years of experience.

There are a lot of things from a hunting, outdoor perspective, no way can I believe a bush person would do. Rookie mistakes. Some ways they carry themselves, I. Woods. Just doesn't make sense and screams they haven't don't this a lot. Watching them shoot the other day was pretty hilarious too. Take a deep breath and shoot. ;)

Plate plinker
01-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Made for TV drama for the most part. Working cattle without using the squeeze chute so boys could learn. If they waited to that age to get innitiated in working cattle then they weren't raised on a working ranch. Most of what they portray speaks greenhorn city folks.

If you asked me to work cattle without a chute you can go shoot yourself. I'm agreeing with you. They don't add up just right.

dakotashooter2
01-25-2015, 08:29 PM
They supposedly have "lost everything" at least 2-3 time since the shows inception. Yet they are able to buy land, boats, guns and other supplies deemed necessary in the wilderness. While I'm no survivalist I find many of the things they do in the name of survival, a$$ backwards, often counter productive and sometimes downright silly.

swheeler
01-25-2015, 09:24 PM
If you are talking about the Browns There Actually from Texas LOL.

That explains a lot!

MaryB
01-26-2015, 12:27 AM
Different show, that is Alaska The Last Frontier and is a real family

mnkyracer
01-26-2015, 12:48 AM
Most of the Brown's are also up on felony charges for false dividend reporting.

leftiye
01-26-2015, 07:22 AM

Agree. Trailer park hillbillies.

dakotashooter2
01-26-2015, 11:40 AM

The Last Frontier reminds me of my childhood in Northern Minnesota...........

SharpsShooter
01-26-2015, 12:24 PM
If you asked me to work cattle without a chute you can go shoot yourself. I'm agreeing with you. They don't add up just right.

Just from seeing the previews, I agree, they are just not right. However, you can work cattle without a chute. We did it all the time when I was growing up. Takes two people. One ropes the head and the other the heels. All done from horseback of course.:guntootsmiley:

SS

blackthorn
01-26-2015, 12:52 PM
IMHO there are three Alaska shows worth watching! Life Below Zero, Alaska the Last Frontier and Yukon Men, in that order. There is one of the stars of Life Below Zero that posts over on THR as "Caribou". There is a long running thread (unusual for THR) under that title where he discusses the way that show is put together. Quite interesting. One of the problems with all of the "reality" shows is the stupidity of the narrators that try to inject drama into what otherwise would be really interesting and educational situations. I.e. on Yukon Men the idiot narrator made a comment that the Grouse being hunted could weigh up to 12 (or maybe he said 14) pounds.

Reg
01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Thr ?????

BruceB
01-26-2015, 03:19 PM
"THR" is "The High Road", a shooting-and gun-oriented website.

www.thehighroad.org

It has many more members than we have here, but the level of activity is much lower.

It's a perfect example of a heavily-moderated site.... just look down the list of threads on any of their forums, and be astonished at the number of threads that show "the padlock", indicating that moderators have locked those threads.

I generally skim the site once a day or so, but in honesty don't get very much in the way of info or enlightenment from it. Still, there must be SOMETHING, or I wouldn't keep going back.

If nothing else, it demonstrates how truly excellent our moderators are, here on Cast Boolits.

Reg
01-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Got it, thank you. Will check it out.
Reg

wallenba
01-26-2015, 04:26 PM
What's sad is that a lot of big city viewers who have no outdoor experience swallow all that scat as fact.

dkf
01-26-2015, 04:37 PM

ATLF is my favorite show to watch. I rate the Alaskan Bush people show slightly above the fake "Amish Mafia" show, really low.

dakotashooter2
01-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Don't for get "Edge of Alaska".... I just about fell off my chair when 4 week old bull calf was purchased (they are not even close to weened at 4 weeks) and the comment was made that they were going to breed it with the year old heffer they had so they would have a calf in the spring. Based on it's size I'm not sure the heffer was even more than 6 months old.

MaryB
01-26-2015, 11:24 PM
I was looking on Goggle Earth and I think I found the Alaska The Last Frontier guys. nice area they live in.

kfarm
01-26-2015, 11:35 PM
The residents of edge of Alaska all seem to be escapee's either from prison or the nut house. The last frontier is OK but still a little stupid acting for me. Eve's not a real country girl for sure. Now Jane ain't the best looking but she could keep you in fed and warm. Where is their property located, bet not real far from town, they abide by the game laws where as the ones up north subsistence hunt and fish.

wlc
01-27-2015, 01:00 AM
I was looking on Goggle Earth and I think I found the Alaska The Last Frontier guys. nice area they live in.

I've never seen any of the shows, but I imagine they all make us look like inbred rednecks without all our teeth or brain cells.... Where is the area that you think these folks live?

MaryB
01-27-2015, 02:14 AM
In this area, I think https://www.google.com/maps/place/59%C2%B043%2701.9%22N+151%C2%B018%2737.0%22W/@59.718617,-151.2769425,1754m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0 Note Kilchner road running through it. Yes they can drive to Homer.

wlc
01-27-2015, 02:33 AM
Thanks Mary. The area is really beautiful. Like I said, I've never seen the show, so do not know if they portray them as living in the waaay out boonies, but in all actuality they aren't too far from "civilization" there. They are just across the bay from Homer. Yes, they do live in a remote area with access only by boat or plane, but Homer is a small, but fairly full service town. As a side note the singer Jewel actually grew up in roughly the same area somewhere up the bay from Homer.

MaryB
01-27-2015, 03:10 AM
Actually I was on te wrong side of the bay, still a nice area but they have road access to Homer, corrected the location above https://www.google.com/maps/place/59%C2%B043%2701.9%22N+151%C2%B018%2737.0%22W/@59.718617,-151.2769425,1754m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

justingrosche
01-27-2015, 03:26 AM
The Kilchers at least seem that they have at least have the history of a pioneering spirit and knowledge accompanying. I hear that the family is frequently spotted at the Homer costco. But I enjoy the show as a guilty pleasure. The Bush People seem like white trash that have been chased out of the trailer park.

wlc
01-27-2015, 05:06 AM
As of the last time I was in Homer there is no COSTCO. There is a nice Safeway store there though. I haven't been to Homer in two years, but would figure I would have at least heard of one being built down there.

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2015, 10:27 AM
look at that older girl and the one they call bear. theres some inbred problems going on there.

flint45
01-27-2015, 12:26 PM
these shows are just entertainment only -not to be taken seriously bush people show needs to take the sticky labels off the new tools before they give them to the actors.

dakotashooter2
01-27-2015, 12:56 PM
The Kilchers can't live to far from civilization. They use a lot of fuel eating equipment. Barge, tractor, excavator. I don't recall seeing a 500 or 1000 gal fuel tank anywhere on the farm.

LOL Bear......... If he knew what was coming in another 15 years he would slow down. Been there done that......feel the pain...

Janoosh
01-27-2015, 01:58 PM
+1 dakotashooter2, I noticed that also. Gas for torches too.

Alaskan Bush People is just ridiculous.

GhostHawk
01-27-2015, 11:34 PM
The Kilcher's have a road to Homer Alaska. :)

On a "Kilcher's Revisted" show I saw Eiven I think driving a pickup truck.

Totally different from Alaska Bush People in my opinion.

Yes there are some things they don't show on Alaska the Last Frontier, but it isn't total BS like the Alaska Bush People.

Building a shelter out of saran wrap? Really? A roll of plastic sure I could see that, but it wouldn't last through the winter even then.

I know a couple of guys who spent a winter in Northern Minnesota (N of Grand Rapids) in a double tent with a wood stove inside.

By January they were spending nearly all their free time just cutting wood and sharpening chain saws to cut wood to feed the stove.

I take "all" of these so called "reality" shows with a huge grain of salt.
Not a whole lot of reality in them.

10x
01-28-2015, 12:05 PM
I spent my formative years some 400 miles East of the Alaska Canada border in the 1950s and 1960s. For most of those years without electricity, for all of them without running water, indoor plumbing, or heat other than wood or coal. (My dad installed a coal furnace when I was 15 - that thing ment waking up to warm floors, and coming home to a warm home).
Every other family in the community lived under the same conditions.
Spending a hour every morning and evening feeding live stock and carrying water to livestock no matter what the temperature or weather is a revelation of how the cold makes simple tasks extremely difficult.
I have lived and worked in -45F - it isn't fun, nor is it romantic. nor is it easy.
At 63 I am glad that lifestyle is a fond memory and I don't have to face it every day...

The reality shows are entertainment, no more, no less. In the north there used to be two seasons, winter and getting ready for winter.
That reality really does not exist any more.
And if it did the folks filming these shows would be too busy surviving to do their jobs.

Dhammer
01-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Just think how many morons are going to head up to Alaska and Can and try the lifestyle for about 3 days.

10x
01-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Just think how many morons are going to head up to Alaska and Can and try the lifestyle for about 3 days.

With yer electric, yer natural gas, yer satellite tv, and yer internet, (not to mention a TV crew and a script writer) homesteading can be fun....

MaryB
01-29-2015, 02:27 AM
I got to spend a year at my Aunts fly in camp after high school. Remote, no power except generator when we needed it for tasks. Outhouse at -40 is so much fun, you do not take your time and read! She did have a few electric appliances for when she had guests in summer like a washing machine and dryer. But in winter she had taken the motor off an old wringer washer and added a pulley she drove from an old bicycle frame. She was one tough lady on that thing, I lasted about 15 minutes then she got on and peddled for 45 minutes while reading a book. I enjoyed it and had a permanent job lines up when she got sick(cancer, no insurance...) and had to sell out when she was 65. None of the family could afford to buy her out either. She ended with enough to settle back in northern MN until she died at 95. Her cabin there was heated with wood and she split wood until she died. She did hire someone to cut and stack for her when family couldn't get there to do it. She is the one who gave me my love of the outdoors and shooting

Fergie
01-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Realize too, that the Kilchers are Jewel's family and millionaires in their own right. Atz is her father and a folk singer of some notoriety as well.

They aren't sodbusters, but they seem to be more normal than the ABP.