PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Suggestions on a Good Read.

Jr.
01-25-2015, 07:17 AM
I have just finished up both of J.D.'s books and am looking for suggestions on another read.

No particular category in mind just something to stimulate the mind a little in the cold months.

Thanks,

Aaron

CastingFool
01-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Go to your local library and pick up a copy of "Unbroken" It's a true story, and Angelina Jolie directed a movie based on the book.

Jr.
01-25-2015, 08:23 AM
No library here. Tiny little town. I get my books on my kindle.

Hickok
01-25-2015, 08:23 AM
"American Sniper" by Kris Kyle.

Wayne Smith
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
You gotta be a little more specific about your desires. LOML and I have over 300 titles on our kindles (shared account) ranging from gun stuff to military history to naval history to The Drunken Botanist to JD's books to LOML's mysterys to art history. Add in Mideval mysteries and Bible study books.

Jr.
01-25-2015, 10:00 AM
I never have read many novels so I don't know who is a good author and who is not. I have read a lot of biography and fact based fiction. I'm not too picky in what I read just something that will keep my mind busy when its too cold to work outside.

Maybe I should have asked what good books have you read lately?

Ickisrulz
01-25-2015, 10:09 AM
http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

All four books are available on Kindle. Very long and good stories.

MrWolf
01-25-2015, 10:42 AM
No library here. Tiny little town. I get my books on my kindle.

A lot of librarys offer electronic books now. I know I have read a bunch that way.

Charley
01-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Sharyl Attkinsson's Stonewalled. Her experiences with hacking by the DOJ and news twisting by CBS. Covers her reporting on Fast and Furious as well as Benghazi, and the suppression of those stories by CBS. Well worth reading.

farmerjim
01-25-2015, 11:10 AM
All the Vince Flynn books, The Lee Child books, Brad Thor, Stephen Hunter, Nelson DeMille. Just a start, there are many more like them.

cephas53
01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Along the line of JD's books. The Grey Man:-Vignettes by Curtis, $3 on kindle.

woody1
01-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Go to your local library and pick up a copy of "Unbroken" It's a true story, and Angelina Jolie directed a movie based on the book.

Don't know or care about the movie. Almost finished with the book now. Recommend it. My MIL recommended it to me. Will open your eyes regarding the Pacific flyboys during WWII. Regards, Woody

Boz330
01-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Killing Patton it has a lot of the WWII history surrounding the events that lead up to Patton's death.

Bob

Firebricker
01-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Old classic fiction that has came true in many ways "Fahrenheit 451" FB

Remiel
01-25-2015, 01:08 PM
The Dresden files, good read its a mix of mystery and fantasy, I just finished Enders Gate (Orsen Scott Card),

Harter66
01-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Stuka pilot is good.
Flight into Conquest is good .
Baa Baa Black Sheep also good.
These are WWII pilot autobiographys from 3 sides German, Japanese and American. Apparently Boyinton's boys were hell raisers compared to the angels of the 70s TV series.
Flight into Conquest might also be found under Bye Bye Blacksheep.
Our Enemy Japan while probably not available is excellent.
A childrens history of England by Dickens is insightful.
The Nye county brothel wars is good ,very little to do with brothels or the ladies.
Free fall is good .
Hell I was there ,but you've probably read that twice.
I have some more but that's kind of the top of the non-fiction heap.
Childhood favs
1984, Of things to come,the Martian Cronicals, F 451*,Survive ,there are many more but I'm working off the top.

Clay M
01-25-2015, 01:14 PM
I love to read..I love classic literature, so Charles Dickens is my all time favorite author...
Dickens is a true master.
I love reading the great minds of literature.. Dicken I .Q. was said to be about 180.He was the greatest literary writer of the 19th century..

I also love anything by Zane Grey..

Ernest Hemmingway . For Whom The Bell Tolls was my favorite.

I am not big on New York Times best sellers.. Someone else will have to suggest that..

I also love Theodore Roosevelt.. His Autobiography is worth reading..
William Falkner is also one to look into.

Read the literary greats first and then other suff later ..Just MHO..
I love great literature,great wine,and jazz guitars...

Poygan
01-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Another vote for Brad Thor or Stephen Hunter.

rockrat
01-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Another for Brad Thor, last one I read. Lee Child (Jack Reacher series), along with Baldacchi (sp?), and Dale Brown. Dresden files is very good in its own way

brstevns
01-25-2015, 01:41 PM
If you like mid-evil , look into the life of Queen Anne Boleyn. Talk about a royal murder!

1Shirt
01-25-2015, 01:50 PM
The best suggestion I can make is "The Constitution", and it should be read often!
1Shirt!

Hogtamer
01-25-2015, 01:50 PM
The best "how to" book ever written is the little (5 chapter) New testament book of James. A perfect study on what a Christian life should look like and practical application of Jesus' teachings. A short read but a lifetime endeavor. Also second "Unbroken," a chronicle of a man's perserverance in the face of tremendous adversity; a man who later in life would live out the book of James!

PoisonIvyMagnet
01-25-2015, 02:58 PM
The "Wool" series by Hugh Howey is a good futuristic sci-fi read. Available on Kindle. There's an entire city of people living in a giant silo underground, and going outside means death. As the story progresses, you learn about why they are there, and who is secretly controlling their fate. I enjoyed it.

beezapilot
01-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Jim Harrison (Brown Dog) , Richard Russo (Nobody's Fool), Edward Abby (Desert Solitaire) are some of my favorite authors along with their most famous book- My favorite philosophy- (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance), Robert Persig- not much about Zen or MM. John McPhee (Coming into Country) is a terrific Alaskan adventure. Robert Ruark- early work- (The Old man and the Boy) is pleasant Later- (Something of Value) is Africa during the MauMau- exceptionally well written- Ruark's African hunting stories are great- but harder to find (Horn of the Hunter). William McCloskey-(HighLiners)- best book on Alaskan fishing I've found to date.

C. Latch
01-25-2015, 03:55 PM
http://smile.amazon.com/Ghostly-Shade-Pale-Merle-Temple/dp/0991147529/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422215623&sr=8-1&keywords=merle+temple+ghostly&pebp=1422219217842&peasin=991147529

Outpost75
01-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Good Reads:

http://www.amazon.com/Jedburghs-Secret-History-Allied-Special/dp/1586483072/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303840086&sr=1-1
The story of the Special Forces in World War II has never fully been told, and only began to be declassified in the 1980s. Known as Jedburghs, they were selected from members of the British, American and Free French armies to be dropped into teams of three, deep behind German lines. In preparation for D-Day, they carried out what unconventional warfare: supporting the French Resistance in guerrilla attacks, supply-route disruption, and the harassment and obstruction of German reinforcements. Will Irwin has selected seven of the Jedburgh teams and told their stories as gripping personal narratives. He has gathered archival documents, diaries and correspondence, and interviewed Jed vets and family members to present this portrait of their crucial role in the struggle to liberate Europe in 1944-45. This is history at its most compelling; the battle for France from deep behind enemy lines.

Beacons in the Night, With the OSS and Tito’s Partisans in Wartime Yugoslavia by Franklin Lindsay
Foreword by John Kenneth Galbraith
1993, 400 pp., illus.
ISBN: 9780804721233

At midnight on May 14, 1944, the blinking of a flashlight in mountainous, German-occupied Yugoslavia signaled the parachute drop of four American OSS (Office of Strategic Services) officers who were met by a group of Tito's Partisans. One of the OSS officers was Franklin Lindsay. Only with the declassification in the 1980s of wartime American and British archives could he undertake to reconstruct his day-to-day experiences in a war area of constantly changing conditions and ever-present danger.

In the closing months of the war, Lindsay became the commander of the American Military Mission to Tito's new Communist government, and he describes the consolidation of Tito's power over the civil population, the final defeat of the Chetniks, and the elimination of all other political opposition. Directly pertinent to contemporary developments in the former Yugoslavia are Lindsay's observations of the savage ethnic and religious hatreds. Though the seeds of the present violent breakup of Yugoslavia were sown in earlier centuries, they were given powerful reinforcement by wartime atrocities

M.R.D. Foot - Mi9 Escape and Evasion in France 1939-1945 - This great read puts our SERE training, escape, evasion and survival kit into an historical context. Origins of the survival tin, multi-tools, and most of the gizmos and gadgets we now take for granted are all in there. Many lessons learned and hints about fieldcraft that would go right by the inexperienced or untrained, but which scream "holy sh*t - that's where that came from..." to anyone who's been in a parallel universe far away and long ago. http://www.amazon.co.uk/MI9-1939-1945-M-R-Foot/dp/0370300866/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358522793&sr=8-2-spell

waksupi
01-25-2015, 04:23 PM
If you like seafaring tales, go to Manybooks.net, and look for Harry Collingwood. Free!

shooterg
01-25-2015, 04:33 PM
About 30 of Roy Chandler's (Iron Brigade Armory) titles are on Kindle now. And I paid 50 bucks for some of mine, dang !
Check 'em on evilbay now, type in"Roy Chandler Perry County" may give you an idea of his titles.

375supermag
01-25-2015, 05:06 PM
I just started The Ardennes, 1944-1945, Hitler's Winter Offensive by Christer Bergstrom.

Excellent study of the battle.

Haven't gotten very far into it...Stopped to re-model the den/study/library. New laminate floor, Persian rug, L-shaped cherry desk and leather couch.

The leather couch has been on order for about 3 months, but everything else is in place now.
Still picking out new tables....bought or ordered most of the floor and table lamps today.

Once the leather couch gets delivered, we will hang four custom framed prints of English fox hunts on the walls.

I can also recommend David Glantz' trilogy on the Battle of Stalingrad. A bit dry, but covers everything from the beginning of the battle to the aftermath and consequences.

I can also recommend several excellent works on the Battle of Kursk, if WWII military history is an area of interest.

country gent
01-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Another good series I really like is by Alan EKhart Its the frontiersman series. About the early settling of kentucky Ohio indiana illinois and michigan. Its a 4 book series and very good. ( also somewhat accurate). Not sure if its available for kindle or not though.

flounderman
01-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Tom Clancy, Debt of Honor, could have been the blueprint of 9-11, Grissom, all good, Centennial, Reading Alaska at the present .

xs11jack
01-25-2015, 08:21 PM
For really good reading set in your neck of the woods, try Tony Hillerman, he writes about Navaho Tribal Policemen. Also in the same vein is Michael McGarrity's Kevin Kerney series.
Ole Jack

ol skool
01-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Moby Dick. Classic, great story.

I don't have the attention span for novels. Picked up Animal Farm last week. Figured out by the 2nd chapter is was a Stalin's USSR and lost interest... But Moby Dick I read every chance I could until finished.

Bent Ramrod
01-25-2015, 10:18 PM
If you like Secret Agent stuff, you might pick up Agent Garbo, by Stephan Talty. Nobody would go to a movie based on this book because nobody would believe it, even as a story. You'll never think of spies and double agents the same way after reading this.

MtGun44
01-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Start with "Master and Commander" and if you enjoy these wonderful seafaring
adventures of Jack Aubrey and Dr. Maturin, there are about 22 more in the series.
All the sea battles are taken from actual battles, of course in real life they did
not all happen to the same captain.

Bill

osteodoc08
01-25-2015, 10:59 PM
I've always enjoyed "The Old Man and The Boy" and "The Old Mans Boy Grows Older" by Robert Raurk. It'll make you laugh and cry. Yeah, I can admit it, after reading the old man and the boy, the opening of the old mans boy grows older made me tear up, especially when I reread it after losing dad.

sparky45
01-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Private by James Patterson. Offered on Ibook's for free.

MaryB
01-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Heinlein anything, Friday is a look into our possible future, Star Ship Troopers has some insight into current events also. One Second After, story of the aftermath of an EMP, I read just about anything but science fiction tops the list followed by the genre Recluse writes. Tons of cook books too.

Catshooter
01-26-2015, 03:21 AM
Monster Hunter! How could you guys miss Larry Corriea? He also did Hard Magic, all on Kindle, wonderful works.

Cat

bear67
01-26-2015, 11:13 AM
If you like a good read with a feel for the outdoors, read C. J Fox. He writes a series of stories about a Wyoming game warden and his family and I suggest you read them in order written if possible. There now ten or 12 written (got the paperbacks on my bookshelf, but too lazy to go look--on crutches today). First one was Open Season, as I remember and a series of good reads.

lbaize3
01-26-2015, 11:34 AM
I second the suggestion of Roy Chandler's books. I suggest you start with Friend Seeker, then read The Warrior, and then Arrowmaker. Great reads and hard to put down....

Omega
01-26-2015, 12:06 PM
If you are looking for good reading books, look to the free books on Amazon's kindle site. There are many good books that are free and you may begin to see what genre you are into. Just read the descriptions and stay away from the ones that say first in the series of x number. Most of those just give you the first book to get you to buy the rest. I have read many of the free ones and found authors I never would of read otherwise.

Wayne Smith
01-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Brunelleschi's Dome, Ross King, or the rest of his books. Anything by the Shaara's (historical novels of the Civil War). Tempest At Dawn by James Best (writing the Constitution). And, of course, my son's book. Just go on Amazon and look for Tobias Mastgrave (no, we didn't name him that!)

SSGOldfart
01-26-2015, 12:47 PM
yep many many good books out their to read I always fall back to "Cast Bullets" written by a old friend Col.E.H.Harrison USA Ret. and "why not load your own" by Col.Townsend Whelen both can be a little hard to find, both are good books why/how we do what we do with cast boolits JMHO.

N4AUD
01-26-2015, 12:53 PM
FREE for Kindle, I've read this entire series and they are very good. http://www.amazon.com/1632-Ring-Fire-Eric-Flint-ebook/dp/B00BEQLQNE/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422291155&sr=8-1&keywords=1632+series

Jr.
01-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Boy.. I just realized there are a lot of good books out there and I haven't read nearly enough of them.

Gonna start downloading and reading as fast as my little mind can process.

Beerd
01-26-2015, 01:51 PM
I think this should be a poll

pjames32
01-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Check out "book bub" on Amazon. Lots of FREE books up to 2.99. They let u put in preferences and e mail u a list daily. I read a lot of free books.
PJ

Blacksmith
01-26-2015, 09:23 PM
Try Internet Archive 6,000,000 to choose from.
https://archive.org/details/texts

This one isn't there but should be read by everyone once.
Atlas Shrugged

Clay M
01-26-2015, 09:57 PM
So many great books, and so little time. Theodore Roosevelt said that he tried to read a book every day..
I am afraid that is not possible for me, because I seem to get involved with reading very thick novels...
I always try to read something that will improve my mind, as old and feeble as it is..
Good luck on your quest...

flint45
01-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Look for the book "rocky mountain warden" good book read it three times in my 58 years full of good stories some very funny.

rbertalotto
01-27-2015, 01:06 PM
"Arsenal of Democracy"....How America geared up for the Second World War............Facinating book

If you have a Kindle or access to Amazon, the Chareles River Press has some fantastic short reads for free!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=httpwwwcharle-20&rh=n:154606011,p_36:0-0&field-keywords=%22Charles%20River%20Editors%22

archmaker
01-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Check out "Kill Decision" by Daniel Saurez, http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Decision-Daniel-Suarez/dp/0451417704 .

Scary, not in horror but in that it could be done, and not all that hard.

Love Life
01-27-2015, 05:20 PM
"Atlas Shrugged" from the beautiful mind of Ayn Rand.

ksfowler166
01-29-2015, 10:57 PM
Unintended Consequence by John Ross is almost a mandatory read for the gun enthusiast. I just bought a copy even though I have already read it. Very well researched book with the author having first hand knowledge of several of the things described in the book. Including firing milled nylon bullets over a case full of unique in a 44 mag.

Anything by Peter Hathaway Capstick, I have read a couple of his books and they really hold your attention.

Look into the older African hunters books like Man Eaters of Tsavo.

JB Weld
01-30-2015, 01:44 AM
A great source for ebooks in the epub format is www.epubbud.com

justingrosche
01-30-2015, 02:20 AM
The Alaskan Hunter by Chandler and Hunting Trips of a Ranch Hand by Theodore Roosevelt

DoubleAdobe
01-30-2015, 03:36 PM
I have been reading WWII history for a while now, including Killing Patton and another Patton biography. That led me to some very interesting accounts of some spy stuff from the period. The best of these I found are by Ben MacIntyre, Operation Mincemeat, ZigZag, and Double Cross. Fascinating stuff, well researched and true.

DLCTEX
01-31-2015, 12:27 AM
I like western themed books and am a Texan so have most recently enjoyed books by Elmer Kelton. He comes from a ranching background and includes factual settings that are true to history for the most part and he knows how to craft a good tale.

Multigunner
01-31-2015, 11:19 AM
The Icelandic Sagas.
http://www.sagadb.org/

Beats any and all fantasy or historical fiction for shear bloody good fun reading.
Best part is its true family histories compiled by an Icelader before he was murdered because of a fued much like those recorded in the sagas.