PDA

View Full Version : Which one to keep???

Scrounger
02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
I have to start cutting down. Some I'll list on GunBroker today, some will be offered here first. But before that, there are some hard decisions. I have three .30-06s; a Garand, a Winchester, and a Remington 700. In all likelihood I will never shoot any of them but I want to keep one of the bolt actions. I really like them both but I'm more familiar with the Rem, It is a newer one, in a plastic stock with a recoil pad. The Winchester is a little older, serial number 1.2 million range, already has a scope on it and a nice solid piece of wood, but no recoil pad. It's nice but I lean more towards the Rem because of the recoil pad, the lighter weight, and my history with that model.
The Garand is very nice too but I know at this point in life I will never have a use for it. It is a sniper rifle, I guess, it has an attachment on the barrel for mounting a scope (see below). I would presume for that reason it has a higher value than the common $600 Garand. Any suggestions on where I should start the price on it at GunBroker?

garandsrus
02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Scrounger,

Your Garand is a M1D. Do you have any of the other accessories for it, such as a scope?

The thing that will influence it's value the most is whether or not you can prove that it came from the Army as a M1D, verses a "put together from parts". The only way I know of to do that is through the shipping label or certificate that the CMP provides when you purchase a rifle through them. This little piece of paper is worth a lot...

You might do a search of completed auctions to see what they have sold for. You will probably find prices all over the place. You can also look at the CMP web site (www.odcmp.com) under the "Auctions" section to see what M1D's brought at auction. You probably won't be able to get the same price the CMP does. They pretty much guarantee that the rifle was an original M1D from the Army!

If a person buys a M1D barrel and hand guard, which are still available, they can put together a M1D.

You will also want to list the manufacturer (Springfield, Winchester, H&R) and the serial number (less a couple low order digits if you are so inclined. To get the best price, you will also want to include pictures of any cartouche, the barrel date (near the muzzle), and all the other numbers on the parts.

John

Scrounger
02-25-2008, 04:26 PM
No papers. Springfield. 1952 barrel. No other parts.

NVcurmudgeon
02-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Come on, Scrounger, you already said you like the Rem. better twice. Keep the one you like!

Scrounger
02-25-2008, 04:48 PM
You talked me into it...

dmftoy1
02-25-2008, 09:37 PM
I have to start cutting down. Some I'll list on GunBroker today, some will be offered here first. But before that, there are some hard decisions. I have three .30-06s; a Garand, a Winchester, and a Remington 700. In all likelihood I will never shoot any of them but I want to keep one of the bolt actions. I really like them both but I'm more familiar with the Rem, It is a newer one, in a plastic stock with a recoil pad. The Winchester is a little older, serial number 1.2 million range, already has a scope on it and a nice solid piece of wood, but no recoil pad. It's nice but I lean more towards the Rem because of the recoil pad, the lighter weight, and my history with that model.
The Garand is very nice too but I know at this point in life I will never have a use for it. It is a sniper rifle, I guess, it has an attachment on the barrel for mounting a scope (see below). I would presume for that reason it has a higher value than the common $600 Garand. Any suggestions on where I should start the price on it at GunBroker?

I think I'd definately do some posting over on the Garand Forum on http://www.odcmp.com to get a price. If that's a real m1d then you could get MUCH more than $600 . ..heck, it's hard to find a $600 Garand anywhere but CMP anymore. I see some pretty junky one's going for 800-900. The guys over on odcmp.com will be able to help you identify the obvious things that would indicate a fake M1D.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

garandsrus
02-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Scrounger,

Another site with a bunch of Garand experts is www.jouster.com in the Garand forum. The crowd there is a bit more "serious" about being collectors than many folks on the CMP forum.

Here's a M1D similar to yours (no paperwork, only accessory was flash hider) that sold on Gunbroker for $905. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89647835

If you change your mind and decide not to sell, here's an auction for a scope that is currently at $580 The mount is another couple hundred... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92839815
:twisted:

John