PDA

View Full Version : First time to cast!

MattnSue2
01-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Hi, This is my first time to post here and I want to ask some questions based on the first time I have cast some bullets.

I am casting bullets for my marlin .30-30 and I am using the NOE 165 gn mold FN, GC(recommended by many here).

I cast a total of 146 bullets using mixed wheel weigh alloy. I weighed the bullets to see how uniform the weights were and I wanted to ask what kind of variation I should expect in bullet weight.

My bullets weighed on average 169 gn with a SD of .5 The % relative standard deviation is .3 (I don't know if this is applicable or not).

My heaviest bullet was 170.1 gn and lightest was 167.3 gn

At what point do you consider bullets to have to much "spread"? Do you take the average and then use only those that are + or - the SD of the average? If I did that, in my case I would have to recycle 38 bullets which fall outside of the 169 + or - .5

What is the "rule of thumb"?

Also, I do not have any dies yet for loading the .30-30. What dies do you recommend? I see there are 2 die sets all the way to 4 die sets....I am confused as to the pros and cons of each.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Matt

btroj
01-23-2015, 09:49 AM
For general use I don't weigh, I just sort out the obviously flawed bullets. If I want top accuracy I may weigh sort into .2 or .3 gr lots.

As a beginner I suggest you weigh less, cast and shoot more. Sort out some flawed bullets and shoot them. How do those groups compare to those with "perfectly" formed bullets? Learn how to increase the good/bad percentage.

As For dies, my Lee 30-30 dies are doing a very nice job for me. Don't forget that you need some sort of a neck/mouth expander to prevent shaving bullets on seating.

My NOE mould required me to trim brass a bit short to crimp in the crimp groove. Make a dummy round and see how long you can make a round and easily get it to chamber fully.

trapper9260
01-23-2015, 10:57 AM
btroj stated " As a beginner I suggest you weigh less, cast and shoot more. Sort out some flawed bullets and shoot them. How do those groups compare to those with "perfectly" formed bullets? Learn how to increase the good/bad percentage.

I would say the same thing also.I do not weight my boolits unless I will go for long range shooting. Bt for start off like you are ,just do what is stated.

Echo
01-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Plus 1 for both above. When after maximum accuracy, sort by weight after culling, and load (near) identical weight boolits for group shooting (something I don't do - not after maximum accuracy. Too much trouble...).

Foto Joe
01-23-2015, 01:43 PM
For right now I wouldn't sweat the weight differential. Maybe when you get ready to work up a specific load and are shooting for group then a +/- .5 to 1.0 grain. Be more concerned with the quality for now paying attention to keeping the bases flat and sharp even though you're going to gas check.

As far as dies are concerned, I use the Lee 4-die set which includes both full length and a collette neck sizer, bullet seating die and collette factory crimp die. In addition a Lyman M die will serve you well, I tried it without then gave in and was glad I did.

mdi
01-23-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm in agreement with the fellers above. For top accuracy I would sort to 1/2 grain, but I didn't weigh any bullets for the first 12 years of casting and I got some pretty accurate boolits. A visual inspection is most often good enough (perhaps measuring the as cast bullet's diameter too?).

runfiverun
01-23-2015, 11:04 PM
is your rifle gonna know the difference?

lets see 4 grains out of 170grs = what? 2.3%
I'm sure your brass, primer brisance, and powders gas volume is gonna vary at least that much.
I'd just toss the shiny rounded ones and move on.

oldfart1956
01-23-2015, 11:28 PM
Matt take a good look at the Lee Ultimate (4 die) reloading dies for that 30/30. Besides the price I like the flexibility of the set. You can easily change things to make them work better. As sold they're set up for 30/30 jacketed bullets which are .308 dia. and what you're going to be casting will probably be in the .310 to .311 range. Lets start with the first die, the full length re-size/de-prime die. Sometime you might want to full length resize sometimes not. Swap out the E-Z Expander depriming pin for one for the .303 British. Cost is $4. That will expand the necks a little closer to what you need. What if you don't need/want to full length resize? Put the collet neck sizer in the press after swapping out the mandrel for one for the .303 British. You'll need to open up the hole in the top part of the die just a smidge to get the mandrel in. (about 2 minutes of polishing with a dowel and wet/dry sandpaper) Cost, $4. (part#NS2628) To expand the mouth of the case for the boolits M die or Lee's expander and Noe is now offering expanders to make this easy. You can use the seating die to crimp (back the seater pin out) or use the collet crimp die. Lots of versatility in the Lee system. I've been getting all my stuff from Titan of late. Sponsors here and great folks to deal with. If you don't see what you want send them an e-mail. They will help you. Audie...the longwinded Oldfart..

robg
01-24-2015, 06:36 AM
1g +or- is my base mark

45-70 Chevroner
01-24-2015, 08:04 PM
You will find that Jacketed bullets will very as much as what you are getting. Like some of the others I would cast load and shoot as long as they show no flaws. I have even shot a lot of cast boolits with tiny wrinkles and they still shoot right in the groups.