PDA

View Full Version : Plott as Pets

Multigunner
01-22-2015, 10:48 PM
I once owned a magnificent dog that was half Plott and half Pit Bull.
He was a handful but no more loving and loyal dog ever lived and he was smart as a whip.

I've been considering getting another dog but I'm unsure about what sort of dog I want.

Pure Bred Plott are expensive.

The Plott is the most agressive of all hunting dogs and totally without fear. My Plott/Pit mix breed was like that and half again the size of a large pure bred Plott.

Has anyone here owned a pure bred Plott?
What can you tell me about their suitability as a pet that would be around children?

wch
01-23-2015, 04:52 AM
I've never owned a Plott but from what I've read they are good with kids and fiercely loyal to their families.
Have you considered a rescue Plott hound?

w5pv
01-23-2015, 08:30 AM
I don't have any use for anydog crosed with pittbull,Plotts are dedicated very good hunting dogs.One of the coldest nose dogs bred for hunting.I have never owned one that was full blooded but hunted with a friend that had one and had pups that was a cross between him and Yellow Blackmouth Cur dog they were awsome hunting dogs.We used them for hog hunting and running deer with them.I tried to coon hunt with them but they were too agressive at the tree toward other dogs.Hunt them aloan and they were good tree dogs.Loved them.

Moonie
01-23-2015, 12:18 PM
I had a Plott, great dogs, very smart. He would lay in the yard when it was raining, sleeting or snowing. Not that he was not smart enough to come in, he just didn't care. He would go accross the street into a cow pasture and get the cows to chase him, he didn't bother them and wouldn't pester them, just liked them to chase him.

I'd have another if I hadn't discovered Great Pyrenees and started working with the Carolina Great Pyrenees rescue.

Ickisrulz
01-23-2015, 01:01 PM
I don't have any use for anydog crosed with pittbull,Plotts are dedicated very good hunting dogs.

My family is on our 3rd full pitbull and we also have a pit/boxer mix. They have all been great with our kids and love people. Of course they are inside family dogs and are not chained in the backyard and neglected the way some people do these days. Historically, pitbulls have been considered a loyal family pet which is suitable to be around children because of their tolerance and temperament.

DLCTEX
01-23-2015, 09:17 PM
In the 1960'ss I worked for a man who owned a couple of Plott/Walker cross hounds among others that we ran coyotes with. The female Plott cross would whip any dog that outran her on the trail. They were death on any coyote or fox they could corner.

kenyerian
01-23-2015, 09:34 PM
I raised registered plot hounds in the 60's and 70's for coon hunting. Did get to go on a couple of bear hunts with them also. There are different strains of them with some exclusively used for big game hunting, some for night hunts and some for dog shows. I would research the parents to see if they would be suitable for your purpose. my old June female was as loving and friendly as any dog I've ever owned and her pups were all similar. My old Rusty dog only had one purpose in life and that was to hunt. While he was loyal to me he really didn't want to be bothered by anyone else. If you are still interested go o this website for more information http://www.nationalplotthoundassociation.org/

Multigunner
01-24-2015, 12:17 AM
My Plott/Pit could really jump. His practice tree had fang marks on a limb 9'5" above the ground.

He never let anyone approach if they were carrying anything that looked like a weapon, he'd just take it away from them.

Once while doing some plinking at the lake I had tied him to a stump to keep him out of the way. I let a friend try out one of my pistols.
The dog got loose and when my friend raised the pistol to take aim the dog lept from about ten feet away and turned a flip in mid air and came down with the pistol in his mouth.
My friend said he could feel the fangs slide between his fingers and palm and the pistol's grip. There was not a mark on his hand just some dog slobber.

He was very playful and seemed to believe he was a person just as much as anyone else. Those factors made him a bit dangerous for people who tried to treat him like a lower animal. He could injure a person just by running past them and letting his tail whip across their shins.
His dew claws were huge and he used these for climbing. When showing affection towards a friend he stood on his hind legs and hugged him. One dewclaw caught in my friends field jacket and sliced through his jacket, sweat shirt and t-shirt and left a gash about 4" long in his torso.
It looked like he'd been in a knife fight.
He never injured anyone on purpose, but he scared the bejezzus out of a lot of folks first time they saw him.

One visitor asked to see the dog and I told him not to go near him if he had any fear of dogs because dogs smell fear and it upsets them.
After he looked at the dog he said the dog didn't have to smell fear he could see it boiling off him like smoke off a tar kettle.

Multigunner
01-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Have you considered a rescue Plott hound?
I've been considering it, but when the old Shar Pei died in his sleep I decided not to take in any more old dogs or dogs with health issues that couldn't be cured.

I want a fat baby boy pup I can raise from the moment he's weened.

When I first brought my dog home he looked like a tiny figurine of what a plott should look like. He could stand in the palm of my hand.
I never suspected he was going to grow to be so big.

Wolfer
01-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Years ago I had a pure blood Plott hound. I never knew him to be growly with other dogs but if they offered fight he would jump right in. They were always short fights. He killed a few of my pigs. Some weighing as much as 50 lbs and cut up a 200 lb sow before I got him off.

I never saw him chase a cat but if one walked in front of him he would pop its eyes out of its head. Luckily for him hogs were cheap at the time and I never was a cat person.
He was always friendly with people but like many good hunting dogs preferred his own company.

He was ugly as a mud fence hence the name " handsome Jack "

Multigunner
01-24-2015, 10:40 PM
The Japanese hired packs of Plott to take down mankilling bears on one of their islands. Plott have been used to hunt down Jaguar in South America. Theres no predator that they won't go after.

Plate plinker
01-24-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm wary of rescues they take a lot of work. Especially if there are children around.

I may be bias I was bitten by a dog as a kid. Still like dogs but not real keen on the mentally challenged (abused) dogs.

Multigunner
01-25-2015, 12:24 AM
I just checked Plott rescue in my area but no pups were available.

So far the only adult dogs I've taken in had belonged to relatives who had passed away or if still living couldn't care for them any more for some good reason.
If the dog knew me before he came to me he settled in nicely, but if I was a stranger to him it took a long time for him to feel at home. Even if he grew to like me he was still pining for his original owner.

I think I'll wait about six months before getting another dog. I'll be more certain of what I want by then.