PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 2 458 LOTT's for cast bullets from CZ.

Just Duke
02-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I am looking into getting two 458 LOTT's made by CZ. These I feel would be great bear, moose or elk guns. I could shoot a cast bullet at pretty much factory veloicty I am hoping. Factory velocity is arounf 1800 to 1900 fps.
Right now I don't have any actual bolt action hunting rifles and I would just like a couple of traditional looking wood stocked guns that I could shoot cast bullets out of for the wife and I.
I do have two 45-70's on the way to be chopped to 20 inches.

I would like your opinion on wether or not this idea would work and as always thanks a bunch for your responses

The Nyack Kid
02-25-2008, 01:30 AM
duke
those velocities are more along the line of the factroy 458 winchester loads with 500 gr bullets. the Lott would add about 200-300 fps to that .
lead boolits at 1800-1900 would be far, far easier on your shoulder and wallet than factory loads could ever hope to be . one of the selling points of the lott IIRC was that one could shoo the cheaper easier to find 458 winny in their rifle should they so need to . those rifles would do a great job of killing bear ,moose elk , buffalo, elephant and rogue freight train , however wheight (which is a good thing when dealing with recoil) does make for a long day of hunting.