PDA

View Full Version : Loading 45-70 with DD-ROA Flat bullets

Dick Dastardly
01-21-2015, 06:57 PM
I sell the DD-ROA Flat bullet molds. The bullets drop from the mold at .460". They haul lube typical of Big LubeŽLLC designs. What I'm wanting to do is to work up a Plainsman round that will give good accuracy with minimum felt recoil. The bullets weigh 210 grains and are a RNFP design. They shoot fine out of my 45 Colt Win. 73 clone rifle when sized to .454".

So, any help with a light black powder load for this bullet with the mighty 45-70 that would give good accuracy out to 100 yards?

DD

Polecat
01-21-2015, 08:49 PM
From what I have read on this forum the 45/70 likes heavy (300 to 500+) grain bollits. Not saying it want work, but that's my .2$

Wayne Smith
01-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Dick, a "light BP load" is almost a oxymoron. Not quite, but requires fillers. You need a full case under the boolit with BP, and that usually means a full load. Deep seating may help, but the case is tapered. There is a guy who has posted how he shoots light loads by filling much of the case with a centrally drilled brass rod.

Smokeless is more forgiving. "Light" loads of, say 3031 or 4759 might accomplish what you want.

I do shoot my Gould with BP, but that is with a full case. It is 320gr. I wouldn't call it a light load. You are either looking at fillers or a full case of BP or smokeless.

shooter93
01-22-2015, 07:05 PM
We have been shooting a suppressed 45-70 at 1050 fps using Unique and 400- 500 grain bullets but there is very very little felt recoil. The rifle is a Ruger number 1.

country gent
01-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Measure out the full charge of black powder now measure the starting load you want from this. I would suggest starting around 55 grn with the wieght bullet you want to use. So measure 55 grns from your full charge load. Wieght the left over and make a dipper up to hold this amount of powder. Now dip into cream of wheat and wieght this is the amount of filler needed. Load primed case with powder charge a card wad and the dipper of cream of wheat. ( na little dandy style measure or rotary can also be set up to throw this charge). Another card wad and compress to depth , and seat the bullet and crimp if desired. leave no airspace in the case a solid column is desired. You might consider 3f also due to lighter bullet wieghts.

M-Tecs
01-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Some info on the old blackpowder gallery loads

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=36289.0

http://www.shootersforum.com/blackpowder-cartridge-shooting-loading/54126-fillers-light-45-70-loads.html