PDA

View Full Version : R.E.A.L. castings

docone31
01-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I have a .50, in 1/48. I have the R.E.A.L. in 250gn.
I am wondering, if in that twist, the 320gn is a better choice. My accuracy has been off, sights aside. I have also been using up to 100gns of powder. I started with the recommended 60gns and went up from there. I have also started adding patches between the powder and R.E.A.L.. That seemed to help a lot.
Any ideas?

Maven
01-20-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm thinking the longer bearing length of the 320gr. REAL may be better in the 1:48 twist, but you won't know until you compare them. My 1:28 twist Knight Bighorn didn't like either, but paper patching helped. However, neither could match the T/C Maxi-Ball or even a patched RB for accuracy in that gun. Btw, I add a shirt cardboard or tablet backing 1/2" dia. wad over the powder charge when using a conical bullet. Lastly, for reasons I can hardly fathom, the Bighorn is sensitive to loose powder granulation as it is more accurate with Pyro. RS than P or FFg than FFFg.

rodwha
01-20-2015, 02:14 PM
I have a Lyman Deerstalker with the PRB deeper grooves. I ordered a few cast 320 grn REALs mostly out of curiosity and tried it with my typical 70 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford PRB charge.

My first shot was well left (foot?) and a bit low at 50 yds and had keyholed. I dropped a felt wad and the next 2 were nearly touching just below the bull. I was impressed enough to buy a mold...

I bought a 250 grn REAL mold from a fellow here as I intend on a Lyman Plains Pistol one day too, and to see how it does from my rifle. I've yet to try it though.

By patches do you mean felt wads?

Are you lubing the conicals?

docone31
01-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Nah, I stuff a patch under the casting. I lube them with my BP lube I make. The patch helps over a bare base. I like the concept and I would definately like to see them hit the target. My PBs I went to a lighter patch and suddenly I am on target. Maybe the same with the R.E.A.L.s.
Who knows.

rodwha
01-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Try a felt wad.

Longone
01-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Also LEE says the top band dia. should be .517" for a 50. That's where mine shot best out of my 1-48". I also use a wad like rodwha, works well.

Longone

nagantguy
01-20-2015, 08:04 PM
I had much better results with the 320 mine drop about 325, much better accuracy then with the 250, and a felt was helps a lot in my gun. I use 90, also does well with a 100gr or powder bit 90 seems to be the sweet spot in mine. Can't think of anything that will stand up to that load, don't see the need for 100.

Hellgate
01-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Be sure you are casting soft lead and that all the driving bands are filled out in the mold. I've had inconsistent loadings when the lead was not hot enough and the bands were not sharp. That caused inconsistent bearing surfaces.

01-20-2015, 11:26 PM
As Maven referred to, a change in powder will affect accuracy. I worked "forever" on a friends T/C Omega with Triple Seven and never got the super accuracy I was looking for. A switch to Pyrodex gave one hole performance. Go figure. I, also, find the T/C Maxi-Ball more accurate than the R.E.A.L. Cast 'em soft and do lots of experimentation - keep notes.

tomme boy
01-21-2015, 11:06 AM
I use a hard felt wad lubed with TC bore butter and use 3F black. I wipe the bullet with the BB. I feel the 3F smacks it better to obliterate or whatever it is called better than the 2F. I also use a dampened patch on my seater plug to wipe the bore as I seat the next bullet.

Motor
01-21-2015, 02:10 PM
As Maven referred to, a change in powder will affect accuracy. I worked "forever" on a friends T/C Omega with Triple Seven and never got the super accuracy I was looking for. A switch to Pyrodex gave one hole performance. Go figure. I, also, find the T/C Maxi-Ball more accurate than the R.E.A.L. Cast 'em soft and do lots of experimentation - keep notes.

This does not suprize me. 777 makes more pressure. It also makes more velocity but I have found it will flame cut Hornady 385gr Great Plains bullets starting around 90gr maybe a little less in 50cal. It would surly flame cut a design like the REAL.

I use Lee's A-Lox, believe it or not, on my 250 REAL boolits and no wadd but I never shoot them with more than 70 Pyrodex RS. I also don't sit and shoot one after another without swabbing.

Motor

FergusonTO35
01-26-2015, 01:33 PM
My NEF Huntsman .50 absolutely loves the 250 grain REAL lubed with Bore Butter over 80 grains Pyro RS. I think it has a 1:28 twist, which you would think would favor a heavier boolit.