PDA

View Full Version : NRA Convention-Worth the Hassle?

alamogunr
01-20-2015, 11:57 AM
At last the NRA Convention is close enough to consider attending. I started yesterday trying to find a hotel room. All that were convenient to the convention center were booked except for a couple that had a few rooms at $450-$500 a night. I could buy another gun for 2 nights worth. I'm sure those rooms are booked by the favored few that have influence.

There are other hotels at some distance from downtown but parking is sure to be a problem. It is a problem w/o the convention.

Another problem is that I don't want to leave the wife at home alone. Makes her nervous. But, there is nothing for her to do while I go look at all the exhibits.

I'm about ready to forget it and visit my brother in Tulsa that weekend. I've always wanted to go to the Tulsa gun show too.

sparky45
01-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Go to Tulsa; you've almost convinced yourself against the convention anyway.

btroj
01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Went to the convention once, it was withing driving distance for a day trip.
it was worth while but I don't know about staying overnight and spending that kind of money.

Now the Tulsa gunshow, that is something I would spend the money on.

shooter93
01-20-2015, 06:47 PM
I've been to them and enjoyed them. I stayed at hotels around 20-30 minutes from the Convention Hall for 70 bucks a night. Parking was no problem, I drove to them, at the ones I went to but I had checked before hand. Pittsburgh was great as they have tons of on street parking lots a 3 minute walk and 6 bucks a day to park. Call the chamber of commerce in the city holding it and ask a few questions if you want to attend.

nvbirdman
01-20-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm booked at a hotel that has a bus stop about a block away. The bus will take me right to the convention center. Sit on the bus and relax. Cheap, no hassle with traffic, or parking fees.

smoked turkey
01-20-2015, 07:39 PM
I thought the convention I attended in St. Louis a couple of years ago was well worth attending. Very good exhibits, seminars, ralley the troops speeches, and I enjoyed the business meeting. I am not a name dropper but I talked briefly with Wayne LaPierre and found him to be very approachable, and very passionate about the second admendment, freedom, and all those things we hold dear. I only say this to say that the whole meeting was geared for the membership and gave me a better understanding of the workings of our great organization. The Tulsa Gun show goes on twice a year and you will have more opportunities to go to that than the NRA show that is within striking distance of where you are. I'd go to the NRA show if it were me.

Kent Fowler
01-21-2015, 01:54 PM
I was at the NRA show in Houston a couple years back. It's huge. One of the things I liked, as I hadn't at the time decided which carry gun to buy, was the ability to pick up and examine every sub compact I had on my list. Same with long guns. I was able to examine the Remington guns that were made in Russia at the 2005 show and found they were junk, imho. Saved me some money as I had had my eye on one of them. Personally, I would get cheaper lodging and take a cab to the show and back. Saves the hassle of parking.

Recluse
01-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Any convention you go to, the hotels and eateries within walking distance will be priced astronomically (read: for those on expense accounts). We always look for hotels as far out as possible and then rent a car. What we save on the hotel rooms alone more than pays for the car rental and all meals and then some.

:coffee:

Love Life
01-21-2015, 04:37 PM
I'll be hanging out in the area with one of Nashville's finest. Shenanigans will occur. We just have to figure out a good way to tell his wife that 5 rabble rousers will be in her home for over a week.

RED333
01-21-2015, 07:31 PM
As I live 20 mins from the place and know the city like the back of my hand, Yer darn tooting I will be there.

KAF
01-21-2015, 07:42 PM
2003 I manned my gun club booth at the NRA show in Orlando FL. Best to find a motel away from the venue and use the local bus shuttles. My Wife and I were picked up at our motel and dropped off at the front door of the convention center. No parking fees, no traffic no hassles. Parking was big bucks so it saved us a lot. Go to the events the night before extra costs but worth it. We saw Charlton Heston and Bill Engvall and Toby Keith, Was a very good time. Security is very strict, not even a pen knife is allowed.The show itself has gobs of manufacturers and you can handle everything, since all the firing pins are removed for safty, that is a rule.

9mmsubgun-m11
01-21-2015, 11:15 PM
I attended the 2014 convention in Indianapolis Indiana as it was a 50 mile drive for me and was glad I did. I had never been before and was amazed at the displays. Got to meet the Gunny,Jerry Miculek,Jim Scoutten and some of the shooters from Top Shot. I would go again if it comes my way again before my health gets any worse.

jaysouth
01-21-2015, 11:48 PM
My brother and a good friend are coming down and bunking with me. They both wanted to know if the same red head was still tending bar at the Honkin' n Tonkin' on Broadway. Nothing like a high class honkey tonk to rest your feet after a hard day looking at guns.

MtGun44
01-22-2015, 12:41 AM
I have been to three. One in KC when I first moved here, then one in St. Louis, about a 4 hour drive,
then the last one was again in KC, went two days and really enjoyed it. Loved chatting with the President
of Marlin about his problems making more Guide Guns when they were very popular and I couldn't find
one. Got to compare binocs side by side and bought a really affordable pair from Kowa that was every
bit the equal of the Zeiss or Leica binocs for about 1/3 to 1/4th the money.

Bill

gmsharps
01-22-2015, 12:42 AM
Don't forget the Tulsa show that is huge only comes around twice a year and I believe is the Wannamaker show. Checkout the website before you go. Not to discourge you on the Tulsa show just for you think you are going to one of the great ones. The NRA conventions I have been to were great but they also were within driving distance so the cost was not that much of an issue.

gmsharps

Bad Water Bill
01-22-2015, 04:30 PM
NO thanks

I set up far bigger shows (yes the Chicago auto show covers OVER 1 MILLION sq ft and we cut and fitted most of the carpeting in 24 hours).

As soon as the doors open the price of everything goes thru the roof.

Food is super expensive and not that good for the price.

With my puter,Cabelas and Bass pro less than 40 miles away I can learn about and handle anything I am interested in.

Talking to corp execs was old hat a long time ago.

w0fms
01-22-2015, 04:36 PM
I took my older two boys and my daughter to Indy last year, and it was probably the most fun I've ever had with them.

It's worth doing at least once. It's a little too far for us this year, but I had a great time. Met a lot of famous shooters, saw Mark Levin in person and on the same stage with Mitch McConnell which in and of itself was quite amusing. Talked with the family of the guy who make Mark Levin's Kentucky Rifle that was given to him.. lots of fun.. Spent hours with the kids in the airgun range...

Maybe if I would have gone by myself it wouldn't had been as much fun.

I should add that talking to all of the manufacturers as stated above was a hoot, too. The NRA show, unlike others like SHOT (which is much bigger) is meant to be the end-customer show and not the industry show. And it's one of the only ones in their circuit that way, so many of the manufacturers like it as well.

I wouldn't have spent $400+/night on a room either...as it was I was lucky and got one of the last rooms available and it was only 2x what it should have cost. 50 miles away you could have gotten a $45/night room tho.. so if you really wanted to go and you are driving you should.

Fred

Huskerguy
01-24-2015, 11:28 AM
I too went to the NRA show in St. Louis a few years ago. Loved it. There are tons of special programs and everything costs so be prepared. The exhibits were fantastic. You can handle every firearm made. I spent lots of time at the CZ booth handling every model they made. Some stuff to buy but more to just look at. We went to several events and they were all fun.

Have also been to Tulsa and that was a blast. It is definitely a two day ordeal. It was on my bucket list and something I hope to go to every couple of years. Highly recommend, but be warned, either take little to no money or lots!

I probably would not go to another NRA meeting again unless it was close by like Kansas City and I don't even know if they have a place big enough.

Bad Water Bill
01-24-2015, 11:35 AM
When have they ever or will they ever hold one in Chicago or New York?

btroj
01-24-2015, 11:54 AM
When Hell freezes over and Girty gets home

Boz330
01-24-2015, 01:16 PM
I went when it was in Louisville and was well worth it. It is rough to see it all in one day.I had to walk a little from the parking lot but there was plenty of parking. I was thinking of trying to get to the Nashville show since it is only about 2.5 hours away.

Bob