PDA

View Full Version : Forming 7-30 Waters from 30/30 Win

Leadmelter
01-20-2015, 01:13 AM
I have not found much info on forming 7-30 Waters from 30/30 brass. New to this caliber.
On Midway, RCBS offers a form die/trim so I guess in theory it is practical.
Leadmelter
MI

BK7saum
01-20-2015, 07:06 AM
The conversion is rather simple. Just lube the case and run into a full length size die. You are necking down a portion of the neck from 0.308 ID to 0.284 ID. The remainder of the 30 caliber neck and shoulder will get blown out to fill the chamber when you fireform. Just about the easiest conversion ever.

One thing to consider to help maximize case life is have the sizing die backed out a turn or two. Size the case and try it in the chamber. The action shouldn't close. Now in small increments screw in the die and size a case. Try that in chamber. Keep repeating the procedure until the action just closes with the slightest amount of resistance. This keeps from pushing the shoulder back too far and risking premature case failure from overstretching the brass during firing.

The full length sizing die adjustment might need to be adjusted slightly when you get to resizing once-fired cases.

I have had a small number of case necks split after necking down. The percentage is really low but the thin brass can be a little brittle sometimes.

Good luck,

Brad

BK7saum
01-20-2015, 07:10 AM
One more thing is to check your case length and necks for squareness. I don't remember where my cases fell on length, but trim if necessary.

Brad

s mac
01-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Mine always end up a little too short after fireforming, don't need trimmed for several loadings.

Rick Hodges
01-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Yes the cases made with 30-30 brass will be a bit on the short side. I trim them after fireforming to even length to clean them up. I have had trouble with a relatively high number of split necks occurring rather early on. (after first or second firing of fully formed case). I have not been annealing cases. I think this might help.

44man
01-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Very easy and all my 7R brass is made from 30-30 cases. Almost the same as the Waters. Very good cartridges. I do outside neck turn after and trim.

BCB
01-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Yep, what all have said...

I got a Waters barrel sometime in the mid-80's I think and I probably have only fired a few rounds through it that actually had 7-30 Waters on the headstamp...

All other ones have been fireformed 30-30 brass--and that is probably 500+ as I get pretty good life from the brass...

I use cast boolits to fireform them as they are less expensive than the jacketed ones, of course!...

Actually, with a fast burning powder like Red Dot, Bullseye, and now with Trail Boss, sometimes accuracy is pretty darn good...

You'll like the 7-30 Waters. It may be my favorite Super 14" barrel for my Contenders...

Good-luck...BCB

Moonie
01-21-2015, 03:29 PM
My first centerfire was a 'tender super 14 in 7-30 Waters. Forming brass is very straight forward, just full length size it and load, it will blow the shoulder forward when fired.