PDA

View Full Version : 450 Lyman

lolbell
01-19-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm new to bullet casting but not handloading. I've been trying to ease into the casting sizing thing as cheap as possible just to see if it was something I would enjoy doing. Retirement is not to far away and I thought I might have time enough to cast. Right now I barley have time enough to load and shoot as much as I like. A couple of years ago I started scrounging tire weights at the local shops. I've amassed about 500lbs of weights which I have smelted and poured into 3 lb ingots. A few days ago a loading friend/mentor and I were talking casting. He asked if I would be interested in buying some lead from him that he had cast into ingots years ago. We agreed on a price of $.75 a pound. When I went to pick it up it was more than I had anticipated. After we got it loaded he asked if I would be interested in a lubrisizer. What I owed him for the lead liked $10.75 being even $400. He told me it was mine for the 10.75. I brought it home sight unseen. I was surprised when a week later I got around to opening the box and checking it out.127985127986 I think I got a good deal at $10.75. To date all I have are tumble lube molds with the exception of a RCBS mold for a 41 mag. I am eager now to clean the Lyman op and try it out.

That's a .430 die, top punch and gas check seater with it and an extra piston

BruceB
01-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Heck of a deal.

I've been casting since '66 and still see no need for anything "better" than the 450s I now use.

The .431 die should do well for anything in .44 caliber, at least to start.

Just a few days ago, I used a Lyman 450 to size and lube some tumble-lube-type 9mm bullets, and at a true .358" the process worked fine. All the lube grooves filled neatly and sizing was perfect.

You managed to buy virtually a "lifetime machine" for a tiny fraction of its real value. Well done! I once bought a gunshow 450 with FOURTEEN sizing dies for $35. I think your deal falls into the same "WOW" ballpark.

lolbell
10-03-2015, 05:31 PM
I know this is an old thread but I have a question about lubing with this sizer. After lubing I have noticed a little lube on the base of a small percentage of the bases. Does this need to be cleaned off before loading? Just wondering if it will degrade the powder in any way. The loads may be stored for a while before using. After testing and load work up of course. Still in the learning mode with the casting sizing lubing thing.

Mk42gunner
10-03-2015, 08:39 PM
lolbell, to answer your question, I wipe the bases as they come out of the sizer.

Since the in and out sizers like the Lyman and RCBS aren't nearly as fast as using a Star, I figure I might as well spend the fraction of a second it takes to drag the base across a cloth to remove any excess lube. It can't hurt, and depending on the lube, it just might help.

Robert

Big Boomer
10-03-2015, 09:09 PM
That's why I like my Star sizers. Have two. The boolits drop out perfectly sized and no lube anywhere except where I want it. Yes, they are expensive. I started with the Lyman 450 in 1975 or so and several years ago bought my first Star. Made a deal and got rid of the 450 and was happy to do so. Perhaps my way is not for everyone, but I like having a sizer that I'm using working on a particular project that I can leave as is and use another to process other boolits as needed. To each his own. Big Boomer

lolbell
10-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys. I'm using Alox lube, in the sizer. I have used Liquid Alox and Ben's Liquid Lube and not worried about the lube on the base, but it dries, or dries to the touch anyway. I cas,t lubed and sized about 175 255swc with an RCBS mold yesterday. I have 50 loaded with Unique. Hopefully I'll get to test them after church this afternoon.

Again thanks guys

fryboy
10-04-2015, 08:16 AM
i too wipe the bases ( whether they need it or not , habit i guess ) only i use a decent quality paper towel [shrugz]
often a judicious setting of the depth stop can alleviate the lube on the base ( not on a bevel base mold however ) some guys use a umm shim made from a grocer's meat tray ( of note they usually last appox 20-70-ish boolits for me anyways YMMV )

LUCKYDAWG13
10-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Heck of a deal if there is old lube in it best way to clean it is to boil it out just take the rubber pressure plug out first

Ole Joe Clarke
10-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Great thread. I have a 450 that is painted gray. Used it for years and it suits me. I'm retired and don't have to rush through projects like sizing. I wipe the bottom of each bullet when I remove it from the sizer, always have.

happy7
10-26-2015, 12:09 AM
You get lube on the base of the boolit when you use too much pressure with too soft of a lube (too soft meaning lube too warm if you are heating it). Once you have lube between the base of the bullet and the die, you have to clean the lube off the floating shaft in the die or it will keep happening. Just keep that shaft clean and don't get the lube too warm (if it is heated lube) and don't over pressurize and you shouldn't get lube on the base of the boolit, at least not with flat based boolits. As was said bevel base is another story.