PDA

View Full Version : happy as a clam!

mozeppa
01-18-2015, 08:48 PM
went hog wild and bought the magna industries lead pot...freakin' holds 90 pounds!
i went further to the hogs wildness by buying 7 hardline industries molds from 9mm to 45 colt....can't wait til i get them!

meanwhile the only mold i have in my possession is also a hardlines mold in .380
why'd i pick hardlines?

their sprue plate is way larger in thickness than anyone elses and there is a channel cut into the sprue plate that connects
each cavity to each other.....soooo....no more moving the mold from hole to hole trying to fill it.

i just sit the mold in a custom made (by me) mold tray/holder ...(don't know what to call it.) pull the lever , which by the way is adjustable as to how much flow you want, .............and the lead flows onto the sprue plate dead center, and runs to each end cavity, when full... i let off the lever ....and done!................no drippy drippy!

wait 15/20 seconds ...pop the sprue.... open her up, and the boolits rain out of the mold like they are in a hurry to get out!..................i DO NOT smoke my molds!
and repeat!

the mold produced nearly 1000 in the last few hours.

the beauty of the magna pot is ....it freakin' holds 90 pounds of alloy! ...no more running hot and heavy then have to stop...put in more lead...wait 15 minutes for it to come back up to temp. then start again as if for the first time today ...wrinkly boolits and all.

they are cooling as i type from powder coating them.

heres a tip....if you powder coat and use "no stick" foil ...your boolit WILL stick to the foil. BUT!

if you soak your fresh boolits in Naptha for a few minutes drain them and let them dry...
THEN PC them....they don't stick!... well maybe a couple...but un-washed...they ALL stick.
even a little damp from the naptha doesn't seem to hinder the powder coat from sticking to the boolit.
save the Naptha for future washings!

as i said ... i made close to 1000 boolits a while ago ...and upon close inspection...not one was a bad piece!

osteodoc08
01-18-2015, 09:10 PM
Cool. Need pictures

mozeppa
01-18-2015, 09:17 PM
will do tomorrow ...ahm tard!

osteodoc08
01-18-2015, 09:31 PM
So you want us to have sympathy for your tiredness cause you've been playing with toys and casting boolits! bwahahahahaha. Too funny!

cant wait for the pictures!

Bad Water Bill
01-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Another member here has one of those machines.

Yes I have been over to his BUSINESS and watched that monster rain boolits by the thousand.

The real work is in the smelting of WW and mixing in your own secret blend to achieve the hardness you want.

Adding those 10# ingots is NOT work it is pleasure.

You are a lucky dog not only to have the machine but to also have the spot to use it.

Enjoy

Certaindeaf
01-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Cool. Need pictures
That's what I was going to say.

sdcitizen
01-18-2015, 11:18 PM
I had no idea that you could fill all cavities properly without having the stream directed in the sprue. Oh this opens up possibilities... Btw I can only imagine how awesome 90lbs of alloy at a time is!

runfiverun
01-18-2015, 11:42 PM
the 40 pound pot is a little more user friendly for most casters [it's what I and the wife both use]
hers is set up as the master caster and I swap my pot back and forth as needed, but generally leave it set up for hand casting.
I built a little stand for the pot and put a box that holds the molds at the right height to fill them, and just drag the mold along under the spouts [2] unless it's a 2 cavity then they both get filled at the same time.

you can allow the alloy to run into the sprue holes from the side this is the technique I generally use on shorter and fatter boolits, this allows the air to escape the mold better.
I align the streams right in the holes for long skinny boolits and use the streams weight to fill them out.

35 shooter
01-18-2015, 11:51 PM
mozeppa i do believe you like that new lead pot!!:smile:

mozeppa
01-19-2015, 11:02 PM
mozeppa i do believe you like that new lead pot!!:smile:

i do...i do... i really really do!:castmine:[smilie=w: