PDA

View Full Version : American Sniper review

Hogtamer
01-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Saw it Friday, read the book last year. Honestly I have low expectations at the theater these days and don't go much. I thought this movie was very well done overall. There wasn't much grey in Chris Kyle's service, decisions on the battlefield were black or white - wrong or right - no matter how tough. And that part of the movie, his four tours in Iraq, portrayed that well. His skill was amply noted but it was not all about Kyle either. The larger picture was about the brotherhood of American fighting men, all volunteers fighting the enemies of this country, and at a terrible cost.

The overarching theme dealt with the total cost of war. Not only the death and mutilation you can see and measure, but the emotional and psychological trauma, more subtle but every bit as real. This cost is born not only by the soldiers but their families.

I thought American Sniper was outstanding in it's portayal of the total cost of war, and raised my level of gratitude and appreciation even higher for those who step up and defend America today. Best money I've spent in a while.

ph4570
01-18-2015, 05:05 PM
We watched it last night. I thought it was reasonably well done. Thought yacking on the phone during a mission was a little odd.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 05:07 PM
We watched it last night. I thought it was reasonably well done. Thought yacking on the phone during a mission was a little odd.

That was actually in his autobiography, read it last year. I thought it was well done, some omissions but that's always true.

Lloyd Smale
01-18-2015, 05:10 PM
My wife and I went last night. I thought it was ok but not what it was hyped up to me. Lone survior was better in my opinion

CastingFool
01-18-2015, 05:36 PM
I haven't seen or read "American Sniper", but I did read the book and watched the movie "Unbroken" It was the story about Louie Zamperini and his extraordinary life. I highly recommend this movie, as it shows in graphic detail the hardships pows endured under the Japanese, and how Louie's life was turned around in the end.

osteodoc08
01-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Sold out locally since Friday. Maybe next weekend. Glad it wasn't a disappointmet

Love Life
01-18-2015, 07:53 PM
I often find myself pondering if he really did kill all those American citizens in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

RedneckRob
01-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Word came up that it was going on at that time but I can't confirm it.

popper
01-18-2015, 09:40 PM
A guy who believed in a greater purpose and did what was needed. LIbs claim it's an anti-war movie. Just hope the JERK doesn't see any money from it. Seen all 3, each is different. Yea, Fri. is movie & dinner date nite with friends but sometimes we just play board games cause there's nothing good at the movies.

TXGunNut
01-19-2015, 01:32 AM

It's not unheard of. An old GF got a phone call from her Navy CB son during a firefight.

TXGunNut
01-19-2015, 01:43 AM
Word came up that it was going on at that time but I can't confirm it.

Someday the whole truth will come out about the aftermath of Katrina. But then again, maybe not. I don't think most people really want to know what happened a little to the east of me not that many years ago. I hope I live long enough to read about what history records about this disaster.
All I can say with absolute certainty is that too many folks died and truckloads of taxpayer dollars disappeared into pockets unknown to make Joe Public feel better about the "slow response" to this disaster.

SSGOldfart
01-19-2015, 10:35 AM
It no just Katrina what about Rita and worse yet Ike, if it wasn't for helping each other many more wouldn't have made it.

Lloyd Smale
01-19-2015, 10:58 AM
ya if you search around a bit on the internet you have to wonder if he was a nut case, suffering from ptss, or just a chronic lier. claims he fought ventura, claims he sniped Americans in Katrina, claims he killed two men at a gas station that tried to steal his truck. Lots of claims
I often find myself pondering if he really did kill all those American citizens in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

ole 5 hole group
01-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Haven’t seen the movie yet but have heard from one that did and he advised it will bring back memories for those that were on the battle field and know of the horror of the sounds of mortar rounds walking in to your position and advancing into areas of no importance, as one is just following orders taking ground, as incoming rounds are zipping around their bodies.

This is the way I look at it. The man volunteered for the Service, the man made it through SEAL training, the man made it through sniper training, the man did his duty in combat and did his very best to protect his fellow Service Members and us, the American Citizen. I respect him for that and I could care less what he may have “mis-spoke” about concerning macho feats after his Service to our Country. He was a good husband and father and will be missed by his family and all those that knew him well.

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Haven't watched it. I intend to. One thing that's current is fatboi Michael Moore calling (responding directly to the movie) snipers "cowards".. as his dad or what was shot by one once upon a time or so I gather. oof, exactly wrong.. these "cowards".. nevermind you probably know

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/01/19/american-sniper-targeted-by-michael-moore-says-shooters-cowards/

Outer Rondacker
01-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Saw it three days ago. I loved it. Go watch it, if you dont have time find it. Make your wife go too.

MakeMineA10mm
01-19-2015, 07:12 PM
This isn't a war movie, per se. It's partially a war movie (action, scenery, sub-plots all involve the war), but it's also a look into a man and what war does to him psychologically. It's not done overtly, which is Clint Eastwood's genius, but it does permeate the entire film. I understand PTSD better now, even though I have some experience with it.

If you just want action, Lone Survivor is better. If you want to see all the angles of how war sucks (a.k.a. "Reality"), American Sniper is better.

seaboltm
01-19-2015, 10:42 PM
This isn't a war movie, per se. It's partially a war movie (action, scenery, sub-plots all involve the war), but it's also a look into a man and what war does to him psychologically. It's not done overtly, which is Clint Eastwood's genius, but it does permeate the entire film. I understand PTSD better now, even though I have some experience with it.

If you just want action, Lone Survivor is better. If you want to see all the angles of how war sucks (a.k.a. "Reality"), American Sniper is better.

Agreed. It was OK. Lone Survivor was better. I liked American Sniper, but I didn't think it lived up to the hype.

seagiant
01-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Haven’t seen the movie yet but have heard from one that did and he advised it will bring back memories for those that were on the battle field and know of the horror of the sounds of mortar rounds walking in to your position and advancing into areas of no importance, as one is just following orders taking ground, as incoming rounds are zipping around their bodies.

This is the way I look at it. The man volunteered for the Service, the man made it through SEAL training, the man made it through sniper training, the man did his duty in combat and did his very best to protect his fellow Service Members and us, the American Citizen. I respect him for that and I could care less what he may have “mis-spoke” about concerning macho feats after his Service to our Country. He was a good husband and father and will be missed by his family and all those that knew him well.

Hi,
+1 Bravo!!!

Larry Gibson
01-20-2015, 12:37 PM
ya if you search around a bit on the internet you have to wonder if he was a nut case, suffering from ptss, or just a chronic lier. claims he fought ventura, claims he sniped Americans in Katrina, claims he killed two men at a gas station that tried to steal his truck. Lots of claims

No, unlike some who post on this forum, his claims are documented. Every sniper kill/shot had to be well documented. Kyle's work was well documented. I read several of the AARs from his activities in '04/'05 when I was in Iraq.

I see this thread has drifted off onto conspiracy theories.......you want a nut case; Ventura is your boy..........

Larry Gibson

Love Life
01-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Ventura is a chump. Kris Kyle's war record is well documented and is set in stone. The man was a warrior and is to be respected for that. However, reconciling his claimed activities during the aftermath of Katrina with my own moral compass is a hang up for me. That is why I posted as I did. I could care less if he smoked some people at a gas station in self defense or if he really did knock out Jesse "The Body" Ventura.

I'll see the move when it hits DVD.

freebullet
01-20-2015, 12:59 PM
I'll wait for Netflix or dvd. I would prefer to donate the ticket costs to something that would help veterans vs. Hollywood hacks.

Echo
01-20-2015, 02:42 PM
^ Matter of opinion. I opine Eastwood is no hack...

timspawn
01-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Is his death covered in the movie?

seaboltm
01-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Is his death covered in the movie?

Not really. You see him drive off to the shooting range, then some text on the screen tells what happened, then you cut to the funeral. Movie ends with actual video of the funeral procession.

ballistim
01-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Not really. You see him drive off to the shooting range, then some text on the screen tells what happened, then you cut to the funeral. Movie ends with actual video of the funeral procession.

I wondered when I saw this if it had anything to do with the way his book ended, since he was still alive at the end of the book with the same title if I'm not mistaken. Footage of the funeral procession fit very well I thought when I saw it.

MakeMineA10mm
01-20-2015, 07:40 PM
I wondered when I saw this if it had anything to do with the way his book ended, since he was still alive at the end of the book with the same title if I'm not mistaken. Footage of the funeral procession fit very well I thought when I saw it.

I've heard there's a new edition of the book out, post-movie, which has additional sections by Taya. Can anyone confirm?

ballistim
01-20-2015, 07:42 PM
I've heard there's a new edition of the book out, post-movie, which has additional sections by Taya. Can anyone confirm?

I hadn't heard that but "American Gun" released after his death had a forward that she talked about it.

Clay M
01-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Going tonight with my son.I generally don't go to movies ,but I want to see this one on the big screen..I always liked Clint Eastwood.Even from the days of Rawhide.

Clay M
01-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Excellent movie. Glad I got to see it on the big screen. After reading the book, I though they did a great job with it.
The movie was sold out tonight ,by the way..

TXGunNut
01-25-2015, 01:40 AM
Saw it tonight, still processing it but it was well done. No surprise, Clint Eastwood doesn't make junk. No doubt in my mind Chris Kyle was a great American and his death was a huge loss to us all.

coloraydo
01-25-2015, 02:02 AM
Me and my better half went last night to the early evening showing (1840 hrs.). Glad we arrived early, 1800 hrs. By showtime, the lines were backed up outside the door, probably a sell out. I was surprised by the apparent age group of the attendees. Well over half of the crowd I would guess was in the 15 to 17 years of age. It would just be interesting to see what the attraction was for them. I would almost bet that a lot of them probably didn't realize the show being based on real life.

Don't take me wrong. I am glad the movie was so well attended.

I thought it was a very good show. I will probably go see it again.

Bad Water Bill
01-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Have not seen the movie BUT what surprised me was that he was 30 when he stepped up to meet the challenge and joined the Seal program.

How many here would have been in that shape and still had the endurance to complete that course and the ones that followed.

Yes quite a man.:drinks:

mizzouri1
01-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Great movie, Go see it on the BIG screen.

GhostHawk
01-25-2015, 10:56 AM
Saw it yesterday with my wife and a friend.

Big impact, like someone above said "Clint don't make ****"

What is hard to truly portray is the hours and hours and days of sitting in one spot, quietly watching.

99% total boredom and 1% OMG. And if your concentration slips, you miss things, people die.

Incredibly tough job.

<Salute> to all who served.

bear67
01-25-2015, 10:16 PM
I read the book and will see the movie, it's just that the boss lady and I usually go to the movies every 10 years or so and we saw Unbroken two weeks ago. I do think that some movies have to be seen on the big screen to get the full effect. But the other half of that is that I have 75% hearing loss on one side and even with that, movie theaters are way too much volume, especially on the sound tracts. Have to look to find theaters that don't post 30-06 (Texas sign required by law to prohibit concealed licensed carry). I also read American Gun and enjoyed it as well. I like paper copies of books still and loaned it to a grandson this afternoon to read.

I very seldom find a movie as an accurate recreation of a movie and usually leave out a lot and add too much, but my son has read the book and seen the movie and he was impressed with the accuracy of the movie presentation. Thanks guys for the reviews as we may change our schedule and see 2 moves per 10 years or is it one every five.

Clay M
01-25-2015, 10:38 PM
$200,000,000 and counting.. I believe when it is all said and done that this one will stand at the top of the heap for war movies..I think t is the best I have seen..I will buy a copy when it come out..Would love to see it again on the big screen,but I an certain I will not have the time..

Clay M
01-25-2015, 10:40 PM
I believe it is Eastwood's best effort to date..
Thought I did like the Unforgiven very much..It was a true treasure..

blackthorn
01-26-2015, 01:47 PM
My experience with movies/books is that it is best to see the movie and then read the book. The other way never seems to cover what I read!

BruceB
01-26-2015, 03:56 PM
NVCurmudgeon and I saw the movie yesterday.

What impressed me the most was that, when the credits began appearing at the end.... NOBODY MOVED, NOBODY SPOKE, in the entire audience.

Only when the "minor" credits began rolling did people start to leave..... in dead silence.

Obviously, we were not the only ones affected by the movie.

danthman114
01-26-2015, 04:12 PM
seen it. what i liked about it was the attention to detail on iraq. if they could somehow pump the smell that seemed to cover that godforsaken land it would probably make some folks snap. the little details like the waterbottle used to close the door on his hooch made me chuckle because i had the same thing; as did everyone. iraq was a jacked up place and it shows how it was for the most part. the dust storm was correct. they did their homework...

DRNurse1
01-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Took my better half to see it last night. Worth seeing again. I agree the Hollywood screen play adjustments and omissions to his story are large, but the truth of the man comes through loud and clear. I was concerned they would turn all Hollywood on his death too, but I think it was respectful and well done. My wife did not know about that part so it surprised and moved her...A LOT.

I think a non warrior can see this and be so moved. I would have liked the full measure of Taps rather than an edited version. The lack of sound during the credits is a commendable editorial choice.

Clint Eastwood has at times appeared 'bleeding heart' but he did this hero and his story justice. God Bless those serving, and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for us, and keep them in your prayers,

Rustyleee
01-26-2015, 04:43 PM
I haven't been yet but I will go for 2 reasons. #1 to pat Clint Eastwood on the back and #2 to thumb my nose at Michael Moore and his bunch.

Bad Water Bill
01-26-2015, 05:01 PM
IIRC the last one to put his money up was the DUKE when he produced "The Green Barret" in a time when many spit on our returning vets.

Yes that song is still burned deep in my memory.

Don Purcell
01-26-2015, 05:43 PM
MakeMineA10mm, Read the original issue of the book and scanned thru a new edition and it tells about making the movie and Kyles family meeting Eastwood in their homes and having homecooked meals with him. They thought very highly of him as he acted like a regular Joe and never put on any airs about who he was and was very polite and friendly.

AggieEE
01-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Saw the movie Sat night. Thought it was good. Went with my partimer/SF vet. I asked him how they did by the tactics and he said " too good" I think he might have had a mini flash back. He did ask the question "why does every ****hole in the world look alike?" Read the book first and I think Clint did right by the man.

Clay M
01-26-2015, 07:13 PM
NVCurmudgeon and I saw the movie yesterday.

What impressed me the most was that, when the credits began appearing at the end.... NOBODY MOVED, NOBODY SPOKE, in the entire audience.

Only when the "minor" credits began rolling did people start to leave..... in dead silence.

Obviously, we were not the only ones affected by the movie.

It was dead silent in my theater too.I was just sitting there blown away..
I did manage to see that some of it was filmed in Morocco.

Clay M
01-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Clint Eastwood has at times appeared 'bleeding heart' but he did this hero and his story justice. God Bless those serving, and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for us, and keep them in your prayers,

Yeah Eastwood was for the Brady Bill and is Pro Choice..
He is also a Republican..
He is a brilliant actor and director..
I do have a problem with most actors that make a zillion dollars off of gun violence in Hollywood and then don't support the second amendment..
I still like Clint Eastwood..I guess for me he is the exception.

jumbeaux
01-26-2015, 07:38 PM
My son and I went yesterday...thought it was well done. Choked up when he told his wife he was coming home. Then the actual video of his funeral really got to me...everyone leaving was silent...God Bless those that have served, those that are currently serving and those that will serve in the future...

rick

TheDoctor
02-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Saw the movie, just finished reading the book. Maybe it is a new version, but saw nothing in the book that even hinted at the fat EX governor, nor anything about katrina.

Hardcast416taylor
02-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Finally went to see it yesterday in the afternoon. Only about 50 - 60 older people in theater. It was dead quiet at the end of the movie and nobody moved even when the credits were rolling. Quite a few chuckles and laughs when the movie conversation concerning an engagement ring was being run. Even Chris thought that the Marine vet he was taking shooting was flatout nuts, yet he took him anyway. The POTUS couldn`t even send the lowest level rep to the funeral.Robert

rking22
02-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Read his book when it first came out and saw the movie last week. I had initially decided not to go see it because I expected it to be "holleywooded" and disrespectful. My daughter saw it with a friend who had been there, combat Marine. They both said I should see it. I was impressed that "they didn't screw it up". Outstanding movie on many levels. It really does protray the real horrors of war, including the long term effects on those who were there and their families. My father was a WWII Marine in the Pacific, he never talked about it and had nightmares as late as the 1980s. Go see it, it is worth it. Our theater was also unusually quite at the credits, with several of us sitting for a while in silence. Eastwood did well and it was respectful, to my great relief.