PDA

View Full Version : Casting cleanup?

spurgon
02-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Safety instructions that i read say to use a detergent containing EDTA or a high phosphorus dish washer detergent. I'm looking at a bottle here of Cascade containing 4.5% phosphorus. Is that good enough? That's to wash my hands afterward I guess or is there anything else I should use it to clean up? Also, the instructions say to use disposable wipes to clean up with. What should I wipe down with them? Are "baby wipes" what is mentioned here?
thank you
spurgon

Maven
02-24-2008, 06:25 PM
spurgon, Dish washer soaps (powders or gels) are excellent degreasing agents...if you have nothing else available, but they are extremely caustic and will attack aluminum pots, pans, and BULLET MOLDS. I'd use plain dish soap or Simple Green if you need to clean & degrease them. However, this begs the question, why wash the molds, etc. after using them?

HeavyMetal
02-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Spurgon:
I think you asking about cleaning your hand after a casting session correct?

I will suggest any of the products the contain D-Limeonene! This is a product the comes from Citrus Fruit peelings! You'll find it in any good auto parts store in the hand cleaner section. THis is not Citric Acid. D-Limeonene is formulated for very tough dirts and works very well on inks and petro Chem products.

My personel experience with this came after a long day of sorting cast bullets and my hands and fingers were just black with lead residue.

This can be pretty tough to get off! But one hit with this stuff and it was gone!

Give it a try I think you'll be happy with the results!

Patrick L
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, Maven, I think he meant cleaning himself after a casting session.

I have a pretty set routine in place. I only cast when I can devote enough time to my cleanup routine. First, I go straight to the sink, use dish detergent and hot water, and scrub my hands like heck. I then drop my clothes right into the washer and wash them alone, on hot, with lots of detergent. I walk right upstairs and take a shower, and scrub my hands especially hard again.

Call me anal, but between being extremely careful not to rub my eyes, nose, etc. while casting and keeping things cleaned up I have never had any problems. I have my lead levels checked every 2 or 3 years and I always come out lower than what is considered normal.

I just this week ordered some of the De Lead soap Dillon is selling, but haven't received it yet to try.

Lloyd Smale
02-25-2008, 07:14 AM
I recently went to a seminar on chemical and neucular contamination clean up at the hospital. i asked them where they got there soap for personal cleanup and they said it was dawn dish soap and all the scientist in the country havent come up with anything better.

VTDW
02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I am old, don't figure I will be procreating again and have been a heavy smoker for some 47 years. I just try to keep from getting burned and having visits from the Tinsel Fairy and pray for good BMs in the morning.[smilie=1: If I donate my body to science I am not sure they would want me.:mrgreen:

Dave

13Echo
02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
VTDW don't be so hard on yourself. As one of my professors said, "Nobody is ever a total loss. They can always serve as a bad example."

Jerry Liles

VTDW
02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::drinks:

DeanoBeanCounter
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Patric,
I don't think there's anything anal about safety. Now if we all would follow your example we would all have a lead/blood level as low as yours.
Dean

GSM
02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Spurgon:

Cascade will have the highest phosphorous (to bind with Pb) content that's easily available. There is a company that makes soaps / towelletes specifically for lead clean up on the body - CRS as to the name right now.

Be cautious as to how much Cascade or other strong soaps you use. The stronger ones are both very slick (if you mop down an area) and strong (they will irritate the skin).

Maven
02-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Patrick L, Spurgon wrote, "Safety instructions that i read say to use a detergent containing EDTA or a high phosphorus dish washer detergent." That's not the kind of thing you want to wash your hands with, as GSM mentioned today. Ergo, I though Spurgon was referring to mold, bench & equipment clean-up.

afish4570
02-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Obviously don't eat or ingest food (or smoke) while casting... Clean up area of spills,any fluxed skimmings of slag, clips etc. I wash my hands with a grit soap like Lava and the waterless soap with grit in it (several times). A nurse friend told me recently that if you drink plenty of milk, pop a few rolaids (antacids) they will take care of cleansing the body long as you don't do anything stupid. If there are any Doctors and guys more knowledgeable let us know. I done it on & off for 40 yrs.afish4570:roll::roll:

Ron
02-26-2008, 05:29 AM
At our club we used "D-Lead", a liquid soap made in the USA for the removal of lead and other heavy metals. It works great but the price over here is expensive. Our use of it is part of range safety proceedures.

floodgate
02-26-2008, 01:16 PM
I got the D-Lead sampler kit when it was pointed out here several months back, and am very pleased with it. I plan to get the "industrial size", bin of wipes and some of their other items. Brownell's carries at least some of their stuff.

floodgate

TAWILDCATT
02-28-2008, 05:54 PM
you guys may be right,but I have to admit I dont go to that extreme.some of this lead posioning seems to me to be over blown.I have been casting sinc 1939 and except for one period had no trouble. and I believe that was when we washed machine parts in gasoline.leaded.my reading is around 9 pmp.next blood check I asked for lead test.
dont smoke/eat/drink/or inhale fumes.
ask you doctor how to get rid of lead in blood.bet he cant tell you.zince amalgams with lead and washes out,iron tablets block the lead from settling.
course if you eat the paint on the windows you might get lead posioning if your 5 yrs old.harder to get posioned as an adult.:coffee:----:coffee:--[smilie=1:---:Fire: