PDA

View Full Version : .222 Remington

buggybuilder
01-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Is .222 Remington brass still being made? If so would availability be good?

country gent
01-18-2015, 03:31 PM
It is still available from remington, winchester, lapua, hornady, norma and some others. It can also be formed from 223 5.56 cases. The last I bought was Lapua others were listed but out of stock. SInce the introduction of the 223 and 22 PPC its popularuty has been declining slowly. It used to be the benchrest standard and set alot of records. A great round and mild mannered as to report and recoil, easy on the powder bottle also. Looking at buying one or have one to put back to use?

GRUMPA
01-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I convert it all the time, just click the link and it takes you right to the thread...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?227295-222-Rem-Brass

Bad Water Bill
01-18-2015, 04:12 PM
It is also very easy on your bbl.

Harry Mc Gowen had one he said had over 10K down the tube and would still be covered with a dime.

Did I see him do it, NO but I never caught him telling a tall tail unless it was about the latest fish he caught.

fouronesix
01-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Is .222 Remington brass still being made? If so would availability be good?

Just put "222 Remington brass for sale" in the google search engine and see what shows up.

buggybuilder
01-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Country Gent
I am looking to purchase one and I thought I would check brass availability out first.

butch2570
01-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Country Gent
I am looking to purchase one and I thought I would check brass availability out first. It's available if you want it, I know the masses think the 223 is all the crave, and it would really be hard to better the 223 for the niche it fills, it is superb . But I love the longer neck on the 222, it does every thing I want it to do, If I need more I go to something more. Crows,foxes, coyotes,
turkey,groundhogs and a good bit of deer , I've wacked em all with the duece , I would by another 223 if I could not get a 222. But as long as it's available I'm sticking with the duece, some things can't be improved upon by much , this is one of em.

DLCTEX
01-18-2015, 06:14 PM
It's very easy to form from 223 brass, proven by how many I have accidently done when they got mixed with my 222 brass. They are quickly trimmed to length using Lee's case trimmer in a cordless drill.

Bad Water Bill
01-18-2015, 06:39 PM
SHHHHHHSH

Don't give away our secret:smile:

Bored1
01-18-2015, 06:40 PM
222 brass is pretty easy to find around my parts. Ranges from 29.99 to 37.99 per 100. Didn't realize it was everywhere til we picked up a 222 contender barrel. Still find deals on 1x fired too. GRUMPA does great work too, if you wanna go that way, could save yourself quite a bit in the long run!

Bad Water Bill
01-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Got to watch the twist.

My Savage bbl turns my boolits into a cloud of dust at about 30 feet if you try to send them very fast.

Now those ------- bullets are tack drivers.

MT Gianni
01-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Got to watch the twist.

My Savage bbl turns my boolits into a cloud of dust at about 30 feet if you try to send them very fast.

Now those ------- bullets are tack drivers.
My Savage 340 has a 1 in 14 twist, Bill. What is yours?

GabbyM
01-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Powder Valley had Winchester 222 brass for about a month. Back in December. Lapua seams to be readily in stock. I bought 300 Lapua cases at around $55 per 100. Thing is they are fantastic quality brass. You just don't want to loos any. Formed a few hundred from 5.56mm NATO brass. I think softer commercial brass may be a better feed stock. But never tried it. Thing is I've over six hundred cases now so am set for many years. Especially so since my triple deuce is a cast boolit shooter and I expect long case life. To re form 5.56mm brass. I found it helped to anneal before and after forming. It's a fantastic cast boolit shooter. As for jacketed bullet ballistics. My 24" barrel CZ 527 LUX, see avatar, will shoot 55 or 50 grain bullets as fast as a 20" AR-15. Then actually since my 26" 223 Rem M700 V is on it's last legs the triple deuce isn't to far behind it.

222 will not be going away in my lifetime for sure. Still popular in Europe where many nations prohibit military calibers. I do like it even better than I like 223 Rem. And I like the 223 a lot.

Bad Water Bill
01-18-2015, 09:01 PM
HEHE

I had my Savage 223 bbl with a 1-9 twist converted and the brand new unfired thing only cost $40.00.

I purchased 1K of once fired military brass f0r about $50.00 all the same batch.
Not to much for a lifetime supply of fun.:drinks:

Mod42
01-18-2015, 10:58 PM
222 is very available. Unfortunately I do not believe that there is an American firearms company making a rifle chambered in 222 at this time. Still very popular in Europe though, so components going away any time soon is not going to happen. 222 will do anything that a 223 will do, and in reality does not give up much velocity doing it. Did I mention that the 222 is one of my favorites??

buggybuilder
01-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Do the case necks need to be trimmed inside or outside if I use commercial brass or even LC brass?
It would be nice just to run them thru a FL die, trim to length and load'em up.

GabbyM
01-19-2015, 12:46 AM
222 is very available. Unfortunately I do not believe that there is an American firearms company making a rifle chambered in 222 at this time. Still very popular in Europe though, so components going away any time soon is not going to happen. 222 will do anything that a 223 will do, and in reality does not give up much velocity doing it. Did I mention that the 222 is one of my favorites??

Savage offers a couple Model 25's in 222 REM. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25LVT
They are a bit heavy for a walk about rifle. Several semi custom gun makers will build one. Then there are so many 223's out there a man should be able to find one with near shot out barrel and have a nice barrel mounted. Or just buy a new Rem 700 action from Brownells and have a barrel mounted. then set it in a stock. Then while I try to buy American. I seriously respect the workmanship on my CZ-527 for what I paid for it. The mini Mauser almost feels like working a 22 rim fire. Little action is most happy with a small 2-7x scope or smaller. Irons if you have young eyes. Zastava makes some nice rifles. They are the ones Remington used to market. Remington like Wal Mart price pointed them down however.

Here is a Remington action. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/actions/700-receivers-prod32498.aspx Finished with bottom metal, stock and barrel you'd probably be looking at a tad over $1,000 to $1,200. Then up from there if you started getting fancy.

CZ makes at least three models in 222 Rem. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/22987/CZ-USA+CZ527+American+222+REM. My 527 actually feeds reliably from the five round magazine. If you pull the bolt all the way back it will chamber a round with no dents to bullet nose every time. Nice positive pin block safety and good double set trigger. Does need epoxy bedding of the action which is a PITA. This thing is so tight. I've fired about a thousand rounds thru it. Wipe it off and its hard to see it's even been shot. 527 is in the trunk of my car right now. As we are working on culling a few feral tom cats that killed my pet ***** cat. Trust me all yee shooters when I tell you a cast 22 boolit running 2,400 fps does a number on a tom cat. Then last night I was carrying around my new AR-15 with aluminum fore end. That metal sucked the heat out of my hands till they numbed. Weight got to me a bit too. So back to my nice warm wood stock 527. Also the grandson missed an animal with a AR with an ACOG sight. He tried a head shot at 90 feet. He didn't get a second shot as the critters don't hang around. So much for the auto loader perceived advantage. 527 in 222 is hard to beat for cleaning up a farm lot. Our mowed area is about 110 yards square. Boolets are good to 200 yards. Have tires stacked up out in the field with steel screwed to them. Wheel rims at 300 yards and can back up rifle to quarter mile. Mix in a 14 and now 15 year old step grandson and it's easy to send a thousand rounds of 222 out there in a year. I need to stop typing and load more.

GabbyM
01-19-2015, 01:19 AM
Do the case necks need to be trimmed inside or outside if I use commercial brass or even LC brass?
It would be nice just to run them thru a FL die, trim to length and load'em up.

That depends upon how tight your chamber is. My CZ is right on blue print SAMI spec. So with a .225" cast bullet and re formed LC brass. I did neck turn them to where the neck section that was formed from the 5.56mm shoulder was qualified. To yield a .002" release guarantee. However the bore is also tight to spec and a .224" sized bullet could be used. In general my opinion is mil surp brass is a serious pita to make ready for accurate shooting anyway. Add in converting to 222 REM and it's a long process. Trimming converted is something like .070" IIRC. I have a drill mounted trimmer for 222 and 223. LITTLE CROW GUNWORKS. That's a $70 tool. It hogs them right down fast and accurate. I've no issue with paying the $55 per 100 for the Lapua brass. So much that I watched the Winchester brass pass through Powder valley at around $33. I can say I get fine accuracy from the converted LC brass. But it is a lot of work. Two annealing's and the forming after all the standard case work. Primer pocket uniform and flash hole uniform. It comes down to how much time you have. Just don't be thinking it's an easy one step stroke on the press.

With new brass. You just tumble it in corn cobs. Do that to stop galling in the neck die as new brass will do as it is acid washed from factory. Yes we have to get it a bit dirty. Dip necks in John Deere planter lube graphite. Run through a Dillon 550 at 350 rpm. If you buy Win or Rem instead of Lapua. You need to uniform flash holes and primer pockets. If you want ammo that actually shoots sub moa in the field and not just on the internet. This hobby IMHO is a lot like painting. You can slop on paint around a window. Get some on the glass and siding then sit back and say that's fine. Or you can concentrate and keep the color inside the lines. Then the people passing by will say that's a nice looking window. Both windows are painted and hold up against weather.

Bad Water Bill
01-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Savage model 25 walking varminter in 222 weighs 6.9# and sells for $620.00 looks like a great deal to me as they constantly produce 1" out of the box IF you do your part.

Yes I do own 5 actions and at last count 11 different bbls.

I do not need to buy more rifles just swap out the tube.:bigsmyl2:

Yes everything from 20 V T up to 30-06 and it only tales about 5-10 minutes to swap bbls

Do I like my Savages?

Houndog
01-19-2015, 08:26 PM
It's about like finding Hen's teeth, but if you find some 222 Nickel plated Federal match brass buy all of it you can afford! It was made specifically for Benchrest and is the absolute best 222 brass I've ever used! My walkabout 222 is a Remington 700 barreled with a Shelen #3 select match barrel in 1-14 twist stocked in a JRS pattern Ash laminated stock. It weighs in at 6lbs including the Leupold scope.