PDA

View Full Version : Looking for local Machinist

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Hey fellas,

I am looking for a local machinist that would be willing to "show me the ropes" on a lathe and/or mill. I understand being a GOOD machinist takes YEARS and YEARS of practice. I am interested in maybe getting a lathe to start with and just looking for someone to take me under their wing and maybe spend a few hours showing me the basics of a lathe. I am not asking for anything more than say 2 hours or so. I don't want to be a nag. I just want to get a feel for it and see if it is something I want to invest in. It is a one shot deal and will not bother you for future visit. Of course, I would be willing to pay or trade for your service.

Thanks!

Tony

I am located in Edwardsville, IL which is about 20 miles east of St. Louis, MO.

big bore 99
01-16-2015, 05:01 PM
I'd be happy to help you out, but not local. I'm in Asheville,NC. Been a tool and die maker all my life (47yrs) Had my own shop for the last 25. Retired now and sold my equipment off. Let me know if you have any questions.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
BB99, I REALLY appreciate the offer! If in the future I have any questions I will keep your offer in mind. Thanks!

btroj
01-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Are you remotely mechanically inclined? Good with your hands?

I was in the same boat 3 months ago. I bought a lathe and a few basic tools and dove in. Learned some basics far faster than I expected. Got some excellent advice from Theprefessor and Buckshot.

I figured threading would take months to even start to try, did some after a week.

Youtube has tons of videos. Seeing makes things far easier to understand.

I say say that if you can afford a lathe and want to learn the go for it. You won't regret it

Brad

labradigger1
01-16-2015, 07:39 PM
May I suggest a trade school class if one is available in your area, many schools have closed machining classes in the last 20 some years.
I took welding and machining many years ago and had not used a metal lathe in many years.
A couple of years ago I purchased an old south bend "O" series lathe from 1913 and could not be happier. Newer cnc machines are great but I have always liked pre war tooling. No more than I use a lathe the O is fine with me. You can do fairly accurate work a manual lathe once you get accustomed to that machines nature. Older non cnc lathes and mills are moderately priced compared to newer cnc models and will get your toes wet.
Lab

TheDoctor
01-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Check out some of mrpete222 videos on youtube. Watching those even taught me the proper way to sharpen drill bits.

HeavyMetal
01-17-2015, 11:40 AM
How to run a lathe was published by Southbend Lathes, written by one, or both of the owners.

Long out of print you might still find a copy on E bay or amazon, it's not a big book ( paper back) but loaded with how to info secure a copy asap.

I will also second the trade school or adult school programs if you can find one I spent a year in the local college AS machine trade class and it was an awsome experience! Many were there to learn and many were there to get access to equipment they knew how to run but couldn't afford.

b money
01-17-2015, 03:28 PM
My suggestion is to go to your local Community college and see what they offer. You can take the class without all the tests too because you would not be after a degree.

leebuilder
01-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Any questions please ask
got my red seal 25yrs ago. Got a small shop at home. Even taught machine shop for a few years.
Videos make it easier to get started, you can it picture in you mind.

country gent
01-17-2015, 04:06 PM
I am a tool and die maker (35 years experience) . I am willing to offer help and share knowledge also. I started in a small shop with Flat belt machines converted to electric motors, then went to food industry ( Campbells soups comapny) making tooling and can making dies alot of coining/blanking dies and forming equipment. All brigport and gear head lathes. Last was the automotive industry light progressive dies, stamping dies, gages, moulds and hand tooling. gear head and cnc lathes, Series 2 brigeport mills with protrack controls also ( 2 axis), fadels cnc mills and charmay cnc edms. A lathe, good drill press, bench grinder with appropriate wheels on it, and mill makes for a good start.

country gent
01-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Keep in mind the machines are the cheap part, tooling is what racks up the costs.

Artful
01-17-2015, 05:29 PM
My suggestion is to go to your local Community college and see what they offer. You can take the class without all the tests too because you would not be after a degree.

+1 - good answer

btroj
01-17-2015, 06:41 PM
I looked at classes at my local community college. Before I could take a basic turning class I would need to take 2 other classes. Putting off learning for 6 months isn't gonna work. I figure I can learn almost as well by trial and error along with asking people questions here.

So much of this depends on how well a guy learns, how well does he pay attention to what is going on, and how good are they with their hands.

30Carbine
01-17-2015, 08:44 PM
I have people ask me this fairly often you know what I tell them? come on over, i'll have it all set up and I mean everything including bar stock and tell them to cut me 7/8 14 threads you can tell those that have put in the time to research and learn even if it's you tube from those who have not. I had one kid here local that wanted to learn he did everything that he could to learn except hands on. the local machine shop gave hi my number I had him come over and did the same thing above. the kid got out a hole lot of safety garb out of a back pack he had then he looked everthing over first before hitting the go button. that was 2 years ago he is now working for a local firearms manufacture here making good money. you do have to have some mechanical skills to do this most everyone here has that, so go out get a lathe or mill and start no better teacher than hand on. I have send a lot packing also, I think they want to but no drive I have no tolerance for that.
I am starting him on the cnc machine in 2 weeks I think he will do good, I have no reason to think you can't do the same. hell if you were closer I do the same to you.

Oh my back ground 1ST BAT 2ND MAR DIV. MOS 2161.