PDA

View Full Version : Don Garlits

bdicki
01-16-2015, 04:13 PM
It was a rainy day yesterday 54 degrees and I had a friend visiting so I decided to check out the Don Garlits museum in Summerfield Florida. I've been by the sign for it a bunch of times but never stopped in. That place is unbelievable, I've never seen so much priceless iron in one spot before. I think around 200 cars and at least that many engines. If any body is in the area of west central Florida and has an interest in cars or drag racing this is a must see. The smell when you walk in the dragster building. We met Don and talked a bit, he's a real gentleman and a genuine nice man, he just turned 83 a couple of days ago.
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/9/24/6833139/don-garlits-big-daddy-drag-racing-profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnX-XWK6K1E

timspawn
01-16-2015, 04:16 PM
I have been by there 100 times and never seem to have the time to stop.

xs11jack
01-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Boy that name, Big Daddy Don, brings back lots of memories of the fifties, reading about him in the Hot Rod magazines, going to the local drag stripe and wishing we had the money to emulate him.
Ole Jack

blademasterii
01-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Just hung out at a buddy's house today. He has built a 91 mustang coup with a 347 and single turbo. With full interior, all glass and everything but the a/c compressor he went 132 in the 1/8th. We have come a long way since the old days. Granted he has spent a good bit of money but now we have 6 second daily drivers. Respect to the pioneers, and everyone else that can manage a 7 second car. I'd be exstatic if I can manage to get my truck into the 11's. That level of acceleration is nearly beyond comprehinsion. That from a guy that has built two 11.99 cars.

lefty o
01-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Garlits was always the #1 class act in drag racing. nice guy and inovator. always loved watching the swamp rats make passes.

kungfustyle
01-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Cool place that's my folks exit. I even did some of the landscaping for the building back in the 90's small world.

Beagle333
01-16-2015, 11:34 PM
83? Holy Smokes...... It seems like just yesterday when we had pit passes and was shaking hands with him in front of his hauler before he would put on his fire suit, get in the car and go make a run.
I'm gettin' old!!! :holysheep

Riverpigusmc
01-16-2015, 11:45 PM
I live right up I-75...I raced high bank asphalt circle track, but I need to run down there and see the museum

1911cherry
01-17-2015, 01:09 AM
I've been past it several times driving to Disney, I'll stop when we go down this fall - it should make an interesting little detour.

bdicki
01-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Garlits was always the #1 class act in drag racing. nice guy and inovator. always loved watching the swamp rats make passes.
All of the swamp rats are there as well as Connie Kalitta's bounty hunter, Shirley Muldowney's last pass car and a bunch of others.

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2015, 10:26 AM
Id love to see it.

cajun shooter
01-17-2015, 10:29 AM
IIRC Don let his beard grow until he broke the 7 sec bracket. I remember waiting and watching every NHRA race to see when it would happen. There was a huge celebration with news cameras and reporters on that day that history was made. I lived in Clearwater, Fl. for about 5 years and always had it on my list to see but I let life make other decisions.

I did travel to Springfield, Ma. and see the original Indian Motorcycle Museum. An unreal experience as the owners at that time(1989) were in their late 70's would tell you about every bike and they all ran.

LUBEDUDE
01-17-2015, 10:44 AM
As a teenage street racer I remember following him in Hot Rod magazine and how he pioneered the rear engine dragster.

I would love to see his museum.

bdicki
01-17-2015, 11:34 AM
As a teenage street racer I remember following him in Hot Rod magazine and how he pioneered the rear engine dragster.

I would love to see his museum.
His first rear engine dragster is there as well as the car that blew it's transmission and took off part of his right foot that was the inspiration for the rear engine.
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/1397242/garlitswide5.0.jpg

Bad Water Bill
01-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Here is another outstanding mechanic,experimenter and artist with a spray can.

I worked with Don for several years and remember the many failures and victories he had back then.

http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/media/news/nascar-industry-legend-don-miller-sign-autographs-debut-book-food-lion-autofair.html

bdicki
01-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Id love to see it.
Next rainy day I'll take some pictures.

captaint
01-17-2015, 03:43 PM
He came up with so many innovations - still in use today. We used to see him run at Reading every year. We used to call him the Large Father. Great guy.

bdicki
01-17-2015, 05:06 PM
http://garlits.com/swamprat1.htm

Ramar
01-18-2015, 01:56 AM
Cajun shooter "I did travel to Springfield, Ma. and see the original Indian Motorcycle Museum. An unreal experience as the owners at that time(1989) were in their late 70's would tell you about every bike and they all ran."

Twenty years earlier I went to college in that town and lived 100 yards from from the Springfield Armory before it closed it's doors. My all time favorite. That little town a had more history and factories going ons than any where else.
Ramar

MtGun44
01-18-2015, 02:51 AM
Actually, it blew the clutch. One pic of that blowup caught the clutch plates exiting in mid-air, after
slicing off part of Don't foot in the process. He swore to never wrap his nuts around a diff and
feet around a clutch carrying 7-8000 hp again and came up with the rear engined version, and not
only was it safer, but faster.

Ever sit in a front engine slingshot? You literally snuggly your family jewels up against the
back of the pumpkin where the gears are handling 7000+ hp. . . . . not me.

Bill

Bad Water Bill
01-18-2015, 06:32 AM
MEMORIES MEMORIES.

Garlits was a friend of Don Miller and I worked with Miller for years.

The memories of Miller would drive this post way off track

Miller lost a leg while working for Penske (another story).

While recovering Miller rebuilt "The Big Noise" and he "The Dragon Lady" and their 3 girls drove to the nationals that year

The officials would not allow him to enter because they said NHRA rules did not permit handicaped drivers to race.

Miller challenged them to produce that statement and suggested they check on who wrote the rules.

D J Miller and his buddy Nickolson.

All arguments stopped and Donald J Miller went on to set several new records that weekend.

bdicki
01-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Actually, it blew the clutch. One pic of that blowup caught the clutch plates exiting in mid-air, after
slicing off part of Don't foot in the process. He swore to never wrap his nuts around a diff and
feet around a clutch carrying 7-8000 hp again and came up with the rear engined version, and not

Ever sit in a front engine slingshot? You literally snuggly your family jewels up against the

Bill
It was a new 2 speed transmission the pieces are in a display behind the car. They slammed his severed foot in the door of the ambulance.
http://garlits.com/swamprat13.htm

popper
01-18-2015, 10:55 AM
I think is jet engine dragster blew up on him too, at the Lewisville track (Great American Raceway?).
Opps, that was Art Arfons Green Monster.

The most notorious jet-car accident came in October 1971 near Dallas when Art Arfons -- giving a local newscaster a ride in the Super Cyclops -- lost control at 285 mph, killing his passenger and two track workers. Art retired from driving jet cars after the incident.

bdicki
01-18-2015, 11:48 AM
I think is jet engine dragster blew up on him too, at the Lewisville track (Great American Raceway?).

http://garlits.com/swamprat28.htm

Wild Bill 7
01-18-2015, 01:24 PM
When I was in nam as a heavy equipment operator we named our earth movers Swamp Rat 1,2, and 3. All in honor of The Man. LOL

Hogdaddy
01-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Was the two speed a hydro glyde ??
H/D

Bad Water Bill
01-18-2015, 03:17 PM
IIRC just about everything used by a well known racer was CUSTOM MADE.

Very little could be found sitting an anyones self and used as sold.

Everything from driveshafts,U joints,connecting rods,pistons,tires and the list went on and on.

Many Mfgrs donated new or prototype products to see how much actual abuse???? the product could endure.

bdicki
01-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Quartermaster two-speed transmission.

bdicki
01-18-2015, 04:31 PM

Bill

http://cdn.rodauthority.com/files/2011/12/DSC_3232.jpg

bdicki
01-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Swamp Rat 13 had 2000 HP.

Bad Water Bill
01-18-2015, 04:58 PM
So many memories.

It makes me wonder how many guardian angels were assigned to some of those old time guys so that they could live to be 70-80 years old.

Moonman
01-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Indianapolis 1967, Don ran 6.77, his first six second run, to defeat James Warren driving the
Warren, Coburn, & Miller "RAIN FOR RENT" Top Fuel dragster.

I stood on the starting line as BIG DADDY returned to shave off the beard that he stated he would
keep until he made a 6 second pass.

I was very close to the front of his truck when he climbed up, lathered up, and shaved it off,
truly a part of all time drag racing history, AND I WAS THERE!.

popper
01-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Even us kids were smart enough to put scatter shields on our machines. Garlits also did electric dragsters, forgot the name of the guy that did the 'postal' van electric dragster. 2 speed was powerglide on the chevy? Turbo was the 3 speed? or backwards.