PDA

View Full Version : Is it only me?

Pilgrim
01-16-2015, 02:09 PM
I seem to be snake bit when buying firearms, new or used doesn't seem to matter. Reliability and accuracy are normally my criteria for deciding good/bad. Last gun bought a couple of months ago was a new S&W 66-8. Right out of the box it was grouping ~6" high at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. It is on its' way back to S&W as I type this. The one before that was a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt. The barrel was bent! I sent it to Rossi for repair and they sent it back with the rear and front sights at the extreme edges of their dovetails. No other changes...some repair, huh? Buyer beware with Rossi's. It still grouped about 1" right at 25 yards. I understand from Steve Young (Stevesgunz) that bent Rossi barrels are not all that uncommon. He also noted that the Rossi repair I got was also typical. I sent it off to a barrel maker and he straightened it (~$130). So far so good. It shoots straight and as soon as I get the buttstock completed (shotgun instead of rifle) I will go back to load work up (boolit and load). I think it's gonna be a nice rig when the kinks are worked out. Rifle barrels out of spec seem to be more common than they should be (should be .375 is .376 or .377. Should be .308 is .309 or .310, etc). Is it just me? This happens to me with astounding regularity, damn near every rifle/pistol I buy!! Pilgrim

geargnasher
01-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Happens to me with bullet moulds, almost every one I've bought has some major issue or another, except for Accurate moulds and older Ideals or Lymans. I've been happy about half the time with guns I've bought, but if you get a good deal on an older gun sight-unseen, you can count on it having undisclosed problems. Most guns in today's market aren't all that much more expensive to buy brand new, and that warranty is worth something. I called S&W on several different revolvers I bought second-hand about obvious and major manufacturing defects, answer was always the same: Send it in and we'll tell you how much to fix it. No, thanks.

Gear

Smoke4320
01-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Just got a New Ruger SR22 .. 4 different loads.. 3 different brands, Rear sight all the way on right .. shoots 1 to 3" left at 7YDS

Pilgrim
01-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Ain't it sweet? Been out in the shop slugging a M94 .30-30, and a BB94 .375 Win. As near as I can read my Starret mike (tri-focals & forming cataracts -not fun) of the .30-30 slug is .3080....YEAH! The .375 is .3772 or so NUTS! Now I have to go measure my RCBS 37-250 boolits and see what that mould casts. I bet it's less than .377.... Not sure I want to lap my RCBS mould if it is <.377. Gonna have to think on it a bit. Pilgrim

gwpercle
01-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Are you at least lucky in love, got a good wife, lucky in finances.....If not then yep ! You snake bit alright.
If you lived in Louisiana I would expect someone had put a Voodoo hex on you!