PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to rockshooter and the rest of the gang

Idaho Shooter
01-15-2015, 11:22 PM
I was privileged to meet rockshooter and three of his friends from the board this morning. I am ashamed to admit that, though each informed me of their handle on this board, I have not the memory capacity to name the rest of the gang.

It was an enjoyable meeting. Some fun anecdotes were shared. I look forward to the time I might share company with these gentlemen again. I hope I remember most of the helpful advice which was given.

Oh, guys, give me a few more details concerning that Glenfield which was offered in trade for my Marlin 1894 in 41 mag. (Big grin here)

Thanks,
Dave

obssd1958
01-16-2015, 12:15 AM
No Glenfield, a Stevens!!! Vintage model 325, chambered in the venerable 30-30! Only rifle you will ever need, for anything you might ever want to shoot, and in a chambering with much more history than the paltry and hard-to-find .41 mag... :kidding:

It was great meeting you this morning, Dave. And truly, if you ever want to give up that fine .41, I think you might have an attentive audience at our table!

Don

Idaho Mule
01-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Idaho Shooter, welcome to the board but I gotta warn you, you're keeping dangerous company with that bunch. Actually they are a pretty good bunch of guys. If you are serious about trading off the Marlin I must tell you that I have an original Asperley that could possibly be offered up for trade. I hope to meet you someday. JW

onceabull
01-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Dave: At my age and fixed income status. I must forego getting involved in a bidding war for your 41 Marlin 1894.. However, to be fair and impartial I caution you about any deals involving an Asperley Aimless...Fortunately a longtime member of this board ,and founding member of the NCBS event, is pretty much considered to be topnotch is the field of these rifles..He has posted his experiences in actually firing his example..But, with all due regard,even he failed to properly recognize that his rifle was a very late example,and like others of that desperate period in company history,had the much inferior wood recycled from use by the Atchison,Topeka,and Santa Fe RR...I'd also suggest that a more usable rifle for you to accept in a trade with Idaho Mule would be a certain Win 94 BB in 356 W.which should be devalued in his eyes after failing him this fall in Moose getting..Be Cautious,always,--hope to see you again soon...Onceabull

Idaho Shooter
01-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Oh my gosh! Momma wants to know why there are tears coming from my eyes and strange choking sounds coming from my throat.

As soon as my lube gets here from whites and my top punches from Accurate, we are going to see if that Marlin will shoot these 250 gr cast bullets as well as it does Sierra 175's.

Besides, you guys would not want this 1894. I failed to disclose, it is no longer original. It is wearing a William's aperture sight.

Idaho Mule
01-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Idaho Shooter, Don't pay any attention to that Onceabull guy as he can sometimes stretch the truth a little bit. As far as the Marlin goes, I have the RCBS 210 SWC mould and if you wish to try some boolets just let me know and I can get some to you. My alloy they are dropping at about 215 gr. and surprisingly they feed through my Marlin FG 41 pretty well, and shoot well too. The 356 Win. that Onceabull refers to is now propping up the left rear of my casting table since I pulled out the Asperley to oil it up for tradestock. That Williams is a good sight (I have one on an 1894 Marlin in 357) but I also like the Skinner sights. I have Skinners on 32-20 and the 41. Take care. JW

Idaho Shooter
01-18-2015, 12:04 AM
The lube and top punches were in the mail box this afternoon when I got home from work. (7 days/week for a few weeks)

I sized a few and lubed with Carnuba Red. And I loaded a dozen of the 210's in front of 12 gr SR4756, a few of the 175's with the same powder charge, and a few of the 250's over 20 gr W296.

I ordered some tin and some 70/30 lead antimony from rotometals last night. I will wait to work with the Marlin until after I have made some harder alloy.

I hope to have work obligations completed by noon tomorrow, then I will rush home and shoot up this evening's loads. Fortunately, all I have to do is step out the front door. I have a bench rest just off the deck and can shoot to 150 yds here at home. Otherwise I have to drive a couple miles to the BLM where we shoot as far as we can see.

My friend Bob, from New Hampshire, came out this summer and we were shooting our 41 mags out to 500 yds at badger mounds and such.
Bob can do amazing things with his impressive collection of 41 mags.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/Idaho_Shooter/DSCF2056_zps5fc5e8fb.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/Idaho_Shooter/DSCF2053_zps418f5534.jpg

My dilemma is: I have 600 pieces of brass for the 41, but I could only scrounge up a dozen and a half empties to load tonight. I have to burn some power and empty some brass so I have something to work with. What a chore!

runfiverun
01-19-2015, 12:00 AM
wait...did I just read we got somebody on here from Idaho?
and they bought......lube,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, from a store type place??? and outside the state to boot...
must be new here.. the shame[holdin my head in my hands]....Elmer is rollin over right now.:lol:

anyway welcome aboard the site from the guy that guards the southeastern border..