PDA

View Full Version : another COW ?

jthomastreadwell
02-23-2008, 03:43 PM
hi all. ive got leading problems in my 12" encore .44 mag. im shooting a Lee 310 rf sized at .430. at about 1250 fps. ive tried sizes from .428 through .432.ive tried all the lubes that midway sales. so ive been reading about COW with intrest. tried it .no change. im shooting 20grs of lilgun and i can only get 5grs of COW on top with slight compression. so whats up? am i not using enough COW? im about ready to through this barrel in the scrape pile!! thanks .

44man
02-23-2008, 06:00 PM
I have posted many times about how rough TC barrels are. Some are chopped out by little guys with a hammer and chisel. I have even thought they are reject Spanish barrels. :mrgreen: TC barrels run from great to junk. There is no consistancy, just like a famous revolver maker.
Power lap the thing.

JSH
02-23-2008, 09:00 PM
jthomastreadwell, are you positive that ALL of any copper or jacket material is out of it? I won't stand up for TC. There are a few out there that will shoot and a whole lot more that cause problems. I have had way more of my share of the latter.
The COW is supposed to prevent leading how. News to me on it's use for that.
I have a couple of TC 44's and have shot about every weight and type CB through one of them with nary a glitch nor leading.
Here is another maybe dumb question. You by chance aren't shooting jacketed AND CB's are you?
I know folks here at home and on this forum and others make the staement that if you lead foul a barrel, just shoot some jacketed through there. I cringe every time I hear that repeated. It dang sure never worked for me.

Lube is either too hard or your alloy is to soft for the speed. I used a half dozen different lubes before I settled on one. It be FWFL. There are other good ones out there I know. I have used my homeade batch of Felix and can't complain one bit.

44man, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel,grin.
Jeff

jthomastreadwell
02-23-2008, 09:22 PM
no j bullets ever; i surmise just a rough barrel .thanks TC i dont know which way to go . ive tried about everthing. i guess the barrel is junk .im about to give up thanks

randyrat
02-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I'll bet it's a brand new barrel and it's not broke in yet. Some barrels take a good amount of breakin in before they shoot lead. I would try to break it in with something before you get too discouraged. No not sandpaper, LOL, i'm sure someone here can advise us on this procedure with a rough barrel. I haven't had the privilage to break in a new barrel in a long time.

94Doug
02-23-2008, 10:51 PM
How about the Lapping kits with compound?

d

jhalcott
02-23-2008, 11:14 PM
How about sending the barrel to ME! I'll shoot some bullets thru it and see IF I get any leading. Then I'll clean it up and send it back,as soon as I get done the testing with it! THAT may take a while. [:<0 about how many bullets have been thru it ? Another little thought I had is if the chamber/ bore alignment is off you can't fix it.

jthomastreadwell
02-24-2008, 09:50 AM
How about sending the barrel to ME! I'll shoot some bullets thru it and see IF I get any leading. Then I'll clean it up and send it back,as soon as I get done the testing with it! THAT may take a while. [:<0 about how many bullets have been thru it ? Another little thought I had is if the chamber/ bore alignment is off you can't fix it.

hi jhalcott ive put around a thousand boolits thru this bbl.lots of experimenting with different lubes and different BHN from about 12 BHN to 30 BHN. I was cleaning the lead out the other day and looking down the unloaded bbl with a magnifying glass and i noticed a perfectly "cut" circle about 1/4" inside the muzzle on the lands.no way to measure the depth of the 'cut' but i would guess a few thousands of an inch. tool marks? iwonder if TC would replace it or say as ive heard so many times "its within specs". but thats where all the leading is going on at .the muzzle. so i guess i could cut an inch off the bbl and recrown . ive been looking for a "reason" to buy a MGM bbl. thanks guys