PDA

View Full Version : Scored some wheel weights today!

opentop
02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Tried to score some wheel weights today. The first place I went said they just threw them away. I asked if they would save them for me. He said they would put them in a bucket. But he didn’t act real enthused, so we’ll see if that happens.
The second place I went said that they are not even allowed to sell them and that the battery company picks them up.
The Third place I scored about 4 pounds. I guess a little is better than none. The gentleman there said they would save them and I could check back often.

Now, some of the ww’s have a silver coating on the lead and the clip. Is this Galvanizing? And should it be a concern? What should I look out for when smelting these down?

Thanks, opentop

Ben
02-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Could be zinc. If so, you don't any zinc in your alloy. If you melt these and keep your temp low enough to melt the lead based W/W's, you'll be OK, the zinc weights will float and won't melt until you get the temp up higher. At his point in time, everything that didn't melt with the true W/W's should be trashed.

You can get some other opinions, but that's my view on the subject.

Best,

Ben

2muchstuf
02-24-2008, 02:27 AM
I think that silver coating is some king of coating more or less like paint.
The alloy melts right out of it and I scoop it out with the clips.
It gets gooy when hot.
Doesn't seem to hurt a thing.

2muchstuf
02-24-2008, 02:29 AM
I think that silver coating is some kind of coating more or less like paint.
The alloy melts right out of it and I scoop it out with the clips.
It gets gooy when hot.
Doesn't seem to hurt a thing.

2muchstuf
02-24-2008, 02:31 AM
sorry about that ....I'm computer stupid.

Bret4207
02-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Donuts my good man, the first guy needs donuts as a reminder. Nice ones too, not the cheapies. Sometimes a 12 pack helps depending on the folks you're dealing with.

opentop
02-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I'd thought about that last night. Maybe take a bucket with my name and phone numeber on it, And also take a couple 12 packs of pop for the guys in his shop.