PDA

View Full Version : One door closes, another opens...

imashooter2
02-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Regulars may recall me crying over the loss of my last free lead source earlier this month. Well, it looks like I've just found another. Scored 330 pounds of indoor range scrap. Not free mind you, but 14 cents a pound sounds pretty sweet when the local scrap yards are quoting 60 cents a pound or more for WW.

This new source claims he can get about 300 pounds a month. I told him not to forget my cell number.:-D

DeanoBeanCounter
02-23-2008, 03:52 PM
300 pounds = 10,500 each 200 grain bullets, oops, boolits. Are you sure you can shoot that many?
Dean
PS You can send me some. I wont tell anybody if you don't.

imashooter2
02-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Well it'll smelt to about 2/3 of that so figure 200 pounds a month in clean alloy. I will admit that slightly exceeds my current usage.[smilie=1:

Already offered a bucket from this score to a good friend who is much lower on reserves than I am. Can't say that I'm big on letting alloy go these days, but when you get lucky it never hurts to spread a little around.:drinks:

If this guy can deliver like he says, I should be in good shape by the end of summer and might even be able to drag my buddy along for the ride.

EDK
02-24-2008, 11:31 AM
That stuff would be stacked away somewhere in some kind of containers until I was looking at a ton or more. I only have a 20 pound LYMAN electric pot, but I'd toy with figuring out a way to get something bigger, alloy with a lead tester, and make ingots out of the left overs from each casting run from the big pot.

While ingots sure look nice, why waste the gas or electric to cast them up if the lead is relatively clean.

At that price, a stockpile would make "an emergency savings account." You could sell some in an emergency...probably get raped on the price to boot!...so the more you have, the better......AND it don't eat!

:cbpour::redneck: