PDA

View Full Version : Just enlarged a lee sizer

odfairfaxsub
01-12-2015, 05:53 PM
I have a ruger blackhawk and of course the lee .430 is technically too small for it. Well anytime I had a sizer that I needed to buy I could get super close and maybe enlarge it a .0005 like take a .358 and bump it .3585 just so I had that extra. Did this with sandpaper and took some time on it

this die needed .002 and sandpaper is going to take too much darn time and w me helping out with two kids now I need the sizer done now!

i ran a flat nosed bullet through the die at .430 3 times to make sure I got this buger small and then I drilled a drywall screw through it and left a long shank so I could chuck it on my drill. I flipped the sizer upside down and ran it up into my press and raised the ram against it.

i chucked the bullet into my drill, applied lapping compound on it generously and low setting lapped the sizer for about 1 min at a time up and down etc then cleaned w patches and alchohol and ran a bullet up and see what I got

took 3 passes at 1 min a piece then taking a mop brush and soaking it in compound and buffing it on high. Cleaned liberally w alcohol and patches.

im golden now!!!! And after I did this I realized how rough these things come from lee. Man mine shines like glass on inside

Tazza
01-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Wow, that sounds like it worked a lot better than i would have guessed.

Power tools sure do make a difference, i used a dremel to polish my bullet molds, it was a lot faster that doing it by hand.

Side by Side
01-17-2015, 09:38 PM
I enlarged my Lee sizer for my 10mm from .401 to .402 works great