PDA

View Full Version : 7.35 Carcano

Marc2
09-26-2005, 12:37 PM
A friend shoots the 7.35 Carcano round and claims that factory ammo is very expensive. He knows I cast and reload. Said he would be willing to buy reloading/sizing dies and mold and give them to me if I would cast some bullets and reload some of his brass. Does anyone on this board have experience with this caliber and know of a production mold (RCBS, Lee, Lyman Etc.) that could be used? I beleive the factory jacketed bullet is .298. Maybe theres a bullet that could be sized to this caliber, possibly a 308? I think Lee makes a reasonably priced two die set and my friend already has a supply of brass so the bullet is the missing link in this chain.

Thanks,
Marc

Wayne Smith
09-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Is his brass boxer primed? The military stuff is all Berdan, I believe.

I would want to slug the barrel and choose bullet diameter/sizing die from that, not from some estimate of what it should be. Once you have driven a soft lead slug (I'd use a .36 round ball for a C&B pistol, but I have those, any slug will do) down the barrel and measure it you know what you actually have and can make judgments based on fact rather than guesses.

Marc2
09-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Let me rephase my original post.
Does anyone on this board have any experience casting and reloading for the 7.35 carcano? If so I would like to talk to you via IM . I have lots of questions.

Thanks,

Marc

Scrounger
09-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Let me rephase the question. Does anyone on this board have any experience casting and reloading for the 7.35 carcano? If so I would like to talk to you via IM or by phone (on my nickle).

Thanks,

Marc

I could be wrong but I seem to recall Buckshot posting about some experience with the Carcano. But that would figure; he's certainly shot everything else that exists...

I was right. Here's a link to his post: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2146&highlight=carcano

Marc2
09-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Scrounger

Thanks for the link. I think Lee makes size dies to order and I could get one as soon as I'm able to slug the barrel and pin down the correct size. Based on the info from that link I think its possible to use the Lymann or a similar Lee mold. I am concerned about having to turn the case mouths. If I don't get this just right it could cause some excessive pressures. I would start with very light loads and work up gradually. I'll let you know what happens if we go forward with this little project.

Marc

Buckshot
09-26-2005, 08:26 PM
...........And here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=1838&highlight=carcano

..............Buckshot

Scrounger
09-26-2005, 08:28 PM
If you have access to a case fired in that chamber, you can measure it and get some indication as to whether or not it will be necessary to turn case necks. Usually in military rifles the chambers, bores too for that matter, are generous to a fault. Most likely you won't need to turn necks, nor size down regular .30 caliber bullets too much. Remember your need is to fit that rifle, not an engineer's concept of what he thinks the chamber SHOULD be...

Buckshot
09-26-2005, 08:41 PM
If you have access to a case fired in that chamber, you can measure it and get some indication as to whether or not it will be necessary to turn case necks. Usually in military rifles the chambers, bores too for that matter, are generous to a fault. Most likely you won't need to turn necks, nor size down regular .30 caliber bullets too much. Remember your need is to fit that rifle, not an engineer's concept of what he thinks the chamber SHOULD be...

Carcano's are a bit different. Chambers and throats tend to be tight. See the above link. These aren't some sloppy ole K98 Mauser. No siree Bob, er Scrounger. These are the real deal Carcano's, ha! :D

............Buckshot

drinks
09-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Buckshot;
Witch wun is u, on left ur rite?

Buckshot
09-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Buckshot;
Witch wun is u, on left ur rite?

..............I'd be the one with the vest.

.............Buckshot

drinks
09-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Then whozs the hansum 1?

kywoodwrkr
09-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Marc2,
NEI bullet # 36
.300-140-GC Page 4 at this link:
http://www.neihandtools.com/
Have not cast with it yet.
Also Lee lube and sizing die can be used with the jacketed bullets and they can be swaged down for use as well.
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=124074
Short discertation on the subject.
I have a couple of the 7,35s and intend using the Graf 6,5 Carcano brass necked up.
FWIW.
DaveP