PDA

View Full Version : Year End Reports

dragon813gt
01-11-2015, 04:11 PM
deleted

MrWolf
01-11-2015, 04:21 PM
I am a C.P.A. - I will never go there as we all know we are saving money and I don't need no stinkin financial report to prove it!

TXGunNut
01-11-2015, 04:26 PM
I'd rather not know the specifics but I do recall coming across a goodly amount of hard to find brass last year and I also made some opportunistic purchases of powder to rebuild that inventory as well. I was most certainly an active consumer of new moulds but like you what really got me in trouble was filling a few (OK, several ;-)) perceived empty spaces in my gun safe. I could go all this year, probably much longer, without buying another rifle or mould and not run out of projects. I might even sell :shock: a rifle or two.

northern smith
01-11-2015, 04:35 PM
now..... please. we all have our prodjects dont bee hasty about it ...lets not count everly litle thing we put into our hobby of ours.!

Wolfer
01-11-2015, 04:37 PM
I've found it's best not to know.

northern smith
01-11-2015, 05:27 PM
you are doing a wise thing there. thinking things thrue. !!!

Rick Hodges
01-11-2015, 06:02 PM
LOL...I really don't want to know. :-P

ShooterAZ
01-11-2015, 06:12 PM
I have enough brass to last me the rest of my life. By far, my biggest expense this year has been powder, and more firearms & scopes. I'm an impulse buyer, and don't keep track of what I spend on gun related stuff. I do what I like to do.

chambers
01-11-2015, 06:21 PM
If you add up all those little purchases soon it becomes a big number! Is there any hobby that doesn't cost much?

RED333
01-11-2015, 07:46 PM
I have mine listed as "supplies".

WILCO
01-11-2015, 08:04 PM

Well said.

SciFiJim
01-11-2015, 09:18 PM
I operate on a different basis.

My wife it the bookkeeper for the family, so any special projects I come up with I have find or accumulate the money for outside of the normal budget.

After that I spend as I please and don't look back.

Hogtamer
01-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Classified as therapuetic relaxation on my account.

30Carbine
01-11-2015, 10:35 PM
I don't add it up but the wife does. she has been at it all last week she said that I added more things to her auction this year and to keep it up so she can live good when I die. I don't really know what to say to that.

TCFAN
01-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Being from the "SHOW ME" state this is one thing I don't want to show me or any one else,if you know what I mean..............Terry

RP
01-11-2015, 10:59 PM
Not a bad way of thinking if the reports says spend more your not saving enough yet. Sadly I do not see that in my future so I will be avoiding that kind of end of year project. Also looks like its a good way to take the fun out of reloading.

DCM
01-11-2015, 11:05 PM
I am a C.P.A. - I will never go there as we all know we are saving money and I don't need no stinkin financial report to prove it!

Thank you.
That's my story and I am sticking to it. Just ask the C.P.A. !

Frank46
01-12-2015, 12:41 AM
Haven't done much shooting these last few years. Bought powder from whoever had it available. Primers I was pretty well fixed from the start. Couple mil surp rifles and some bullets. But the powder was the biggest and most pricey costs. Frank

Bzcraig
01-12-2015, 01:04 AM

He's the accountant, why argue the point!

dtknowles
01-12-2015, 01:29 AM
I bought one new rifle and one new pistol this past year, each was a .22 LR and each was about $400.

I spent that much on powder ($400) this past year but I still have most of that on the shelf.

I spent maybe half that much on match grade jacket bullets

Even less on primers but I might have fewer than I started the year with.

I bought one mould for around $100.

I don't know exactly when I got it but I bought a brand new Leupold 40 power scope if I got it this year it is the big ticket at around $1,000.

I spent a lot of time with my .22 Hornet so lead and powder went a long way this year.

If you add range fee's and hunting licence and .22 LR I probably spent three grand.

Tim

Doggonekid
01-12-2015, 01:49 AM
I tell my how cheep this hobby of mine is. I trade barter look for good deals. My biggest worry is when I die my wife will sell all my guns and reloading equipment for what I told her I spent.

TXGunNut
01-12-2015, 10:41 PM
He's the accountant, why argue the point!

I'm not an accountant but if you give me enough data I can prove most anything, the economy of reloading/casting is almost a no-brainer...:holysheep

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Gee, I strongly dislike figuring out the year end report that is necessary (doing the income taxes). No way I'm gonna waste my precious time figuring a year end report on my hobby.

Dave C.
01-09-2016, 03:40 PM
I never keep a list of what I spend. But I do keep a list of what I need to buy!
I am a competitive shooter (precision pistol) so I know I've spent enough.

Dave C.

Preacher Jim
01-09-2016, 03:47 PM
This is my hobby. I tracked everything for anything else but this is my relaxation and joy. I refuse to put a price on being able to unwind the stress of a tough week in to dollars and cents or it becomes more frustration and loses the relaxation.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-09-2016, 04:00 PM
I don't waste any time doing it. Every transaction is itemized throughout the year. All I do choose "last year" for the report and the program does all the work. It's how I track all my spending and see trends. It's not for everyone but there is no way I could live w/out knowing where every cent goes.
I can understand that, and if I wasn't a paper and pencil type of guy, I'd probably be right there with you.

dtknowles
01-09-2016, 04:09 PM
This year I did not buy any guns, molds, optics, or equipment. I bought some factory ammo including .22 LR and some powder. Got my hunting/fishing license and range pass. I don't think I spent $500. I have too much stuff already. I can afford to spend a lot more than that but did not see anything that I could not pass up.

Tim

GabbyM
01-10-2016, 12:39 AM
I've never considered living as a hobby. Eat drink and be marry.

My electronic hookup here in this house is this. TV, internet and phone. $157 a month. = $1,844 per years. That is one thousand eight hundred and forty-four dollars a year. For TV. I only had to point that out to the other person living here one time. To run an auto. IRS says, last I filled out taxes. 54 cents a mile for a sedan. Friend of mines who is a carpenter. Tell me his accountant says maintenance cost on his 4x4 pickup to pull his double axel box trailer is 48 cents a mile. Fuel and depreciation is on top of that.

I live a very frugal life in my opinion. I drive a Jetta diesel car. Live in a little home with low taxes. But I do have some very nice firearms. Well at least I have what I like. Never owned a Parazi trap gun. But my old Rem 1100 trap will shoot good enough that if I loose it's because of the shooter no the gun. I have three rifles that will shoot into a two inch circle at 400 yards. Two of them I built myself. Have two wonderful daughters who never told me they gave up anything so I could have toys. They and there husbands have there own toys now. And there children. Last I checked they eat pretty good.

My youngest posted a few ducks on the tail gate last week. We are not here just to suck air and count pennies.

therealhitman
01-10-2016, 03:25 AM
I was running my usual year end reports for my financial accounts today. I've been slacking and had one large category called Reloading...

Right there is when the Han Solo voice in my head said "I've got a bad feeling about this".

375supermag
01-10-2016, 11:06 AM
I never worry much about what I spend on my hobbies, whether hunting/shooting, military history books, paleontology books or what have you.

It all comes out of my discretionary income. I already have a budget to run my financial life. Each week I deposit enough in the bank to cover my financial obligations...the rest goes into savings or my discretionary spending accounts.

I have never spent a single dollar out of our household budget for my hobbies and never will.

Looking back over the past year...I bought a 9mm Beretta M9 for my son, a S&W M&P 40 for myself and a Glock 40 in 10mm for my son.
I probably bought 1000 rounds of .40S&W factory ammunition to break-in my M&P and maybe 3K rounds of .22LR.
I can recall buying 2 or 3 die sets, one in 40S&W and one in 10mm. I may have bought one die set for one of my rifles. Probably bought four cases of shotguns shells to break clay birds and a like number of cases of clay birds. I bought two boxes of hunting loads for my 12ga. shotgun and one box of factory ammo for my 7mm Mag.

I am certain I bought at least 20lbs of reloading powder, about 10K of various primers and about 5K cast, plated and jacketed bullets.

I also split the cost of an entire Hornady LNL progressive press set-up with case and bullet feeders with my son.

I am pretty certain I bought close to 50 books on military history...most pretty esoteric subjects. A few were more than slightly expensive. I don't believe I bought more than one or two books on paleontology this past year, although I have quite a few on my Amazon wish list. I need to rectify that this year.

I have no idea what the total cost for my hobbies was and don't care. I consider work to be a means to an end...not an end in and of itself.

The past year was good financially for my household, certainly not outstanding. We had no major unexpected expenses...other than the purchase of two new Lab puppies and associated expenses (all of which came out of discretionary income), certainly no more than a couple thousand dollars, give a take a thousand here and there. Puppies are expensive, but they are fun and entertaining.

bedbugbilly
01-10-2016, 11:46 AM
I'll admit I'm a "stickler" when it comes to my book-keeping ledgers and keeping track of the farm business and personal finances . . . but reloading stuff? Nope .. . . not going to do it. I'm afraid if I did and my wife found out just what this "money saving" hobby costs that I'd be sent to the "time out" chair . . permanently! LOL

I did "weed out" some things this past year and if I had to really figure it out, I suspect I probably spent more on brass this past year than anything else. Uhhh . . we are talking about reloading and not guns aren't we? :-)

therealhitman
01-10-2016, 01:46 PM
I'm afraid if I did and my wife found out just what this "money saving" hobby costs...

Oh. Never thought about that.

I gotta go burn some credit card statements and receipts real quick.

jcwit
01-10-2016, 03:08 PM
I keep no accounts of what I save, spend, or get on anything.

Well maybe vehicle expense's, I've done that since the 1950's.

Cheapest car I ever owned was a new 1972 Corvette, T Top. Broke even on it after owning it for approx 10 years.

Hick
01-10-2016, 06:03 PM

Or, at least, It's best not to let my wife know:grin:

MrWolf
01-10-2016, 07:29 PM
I keep (or try to) a current listing of my moulds, dies, conversions, powders, etc. Found myself buying something I thought I needed just to find out I had already got one.

mold maker
01-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Who Cares. The bills are paid, and we're warm and fed. Ain't gonna live forever, and can't take it with me.
Keeping track is like saving bad targets.

geargnasher
01-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Who Cares. The bills are paid, and we're warm and fed. Ain't gonna live forever, and can't take it with me.
Keeping track is like saving bad targets.

Amen. I lost a lot of people close to me last couple of years and that really drives the point home in my mind. I rarely even save GOOD targets any more, just takes up valuable component space. Putting stuff on my home computers is more like what I do at work, just stresses me out and I worry about losing electronic data.

Gear