PDA

View Full Version : I had to share this with everyone here.

rmatchell
01-11-2015, 02:12 PM
So my wife decided she wanted to go shopping for a birthday present this morning and on the way to the mall I noticed something wrong.....

A truck towing a car at 60mph down the interstate with one of those old yellow nylon tow ropes. I mentioned to my wife how those guys were not brite at all then she pointed out that there wasnt a driver in the car. Unfortunately we didnt think to take a picture we were both in shock at the sight of it all.

trapper9260
01-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Some people are best to not be close by to and yes not too brite also.

leadman
01-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Just watch the news and you may find out who they were!

brstevns
01-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Can't fix Stupid!!!!

LUBEDUDE
01-11-2015, 02:32 PM
It's ok Jr I gots the bumper welded to the frame! :redneck:

rmatchell
01-11-2015, 02:43 PM
I still cant figuer out how they got on the road ib the first place. I would have thought you would be in the ditch before you got up to speed.

AnthonyB
01-11-2015, 03:12 PM
This is no **it. I was 13 or 14 and driving illegally anywhere I needed to go in AL. I was big for my age and looked old enough to drive, and my Dad trusted me. He found a 1956 Buick Special he wanted as a restoration project; body was perfect but there had apparently been some mechanical issues. The car was about ten miles from our house, and we chained it to the 65 GMC dually that was the work truck. We knew the Buick had no brakes, so planned to use the Buick's manual transmission to slow both vehicles when we got ready to turn off the rural highway onto the road where we lived. We were a good team and had done similar things many times before, so no worries. All went well, and I never needed to slow down - until we got to the long, fairly steep grade about 3/4 a mile from the turn off. The Buick started gaining on the GMC, so I dropped it into third and let out the clutch. Nothing happened, if you define the Buick picking up more speed as nothing happening. I tried second, first, and even reverse, all to no avail. I was in an untenable position, and finally took the only real choice I had. I did mention that the body on the Buick was perfect, right? Knowing there was no way to replace that huge grill and bumper, I pulled out to pass. I will never forget the look on my Dad's face when he saw me pull even with him and wave. That was just about the point the chain hit the limit and jerked that big dually sideways. Dad floored the GMC and managed to pass me again, and I then knew what he wanted me to do. I got back behind him, and we managed to stop on an upgrade past our turn. Problem was, that upgrade meant a downgrade between us and home again. We finally made it home, but the Buick's body was no longer perfect. It went into the project graveyard, and I think he finally sold it for scrap about three years ago. Checking status of the shift linkage became part of our SOP after this one.
Tony

badbob454
01-11-2015, 03:26 PM
scary.... thanks for the story AnthonyB and a tow strap only ? i hav used a heavy chain and a used tire between my towed vehicle once upon a time but there was only a foot between my car and the towed car and i had a guy in it to brake ... i did have a tow bar on an old 64 valiant station wagon the rt. side of the bumper came off.. got it safely stopped . and noticed i had a bolt or two missing , a walk to the auto store and 2 bolts later and i was back on the road..

CGT80
01-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I have used a yellow tow rope around town, but we had a driver in the towed vehicle and it had brakes. That guy must have been nuts.

Speaking of brite.............it is spelled bright. It appears that some product names use the word brite, but it is just a catchy spelling. Maybe the joke is on me, and it was meant to be spelled that way, since that guy towing that way wasn't all that bright.

BD
01-11-2015, 10:55 PM
When I was young and foolish we often used a chain slid through an 8' piece of 3" iron pipe. But, we always had a driver in the vehicle being towed, and we'd never have attempted 60 mph. 30 was about tops.

MaryB
01-12-2015, 12:31 AM
Darwin Award winner in the making...

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Once upon a time I used a 12' logging chain to tow a friends 51 Buick with my 53 Chevy from Suffolk Va all the way to NAS Oceana.

Never had a problem till the kiddies wanted us to DRIVE the Buick to the parking lot.

If it could be driven we would not need the chain would we was our answer.

Finally got a drive on wave and we definitely needed a few cups of ???? after that trip.