PDA

View Full Version : Saved an Elk and a couple deer today. 1-10-15

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-11-2015, 10:48 AM
MB 750 trap on a drag and a k-frame 22 is all you need!! :-P

dk17hmr
01-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Nice wolf......looks like he has been eating well.

Is he getting tanned for your wall or going to the auction?

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-11-2015, 10:59 AM
I keep them, they look nice on the cabin wall. and every time I see there hide hanging I just smile!! LOL

dk17hmr
01-11-2015, 11:08 AM
I smile every time I see a picture of one caught or shot in the lower 48. The feds took away our wolf hunt.....damn tree huggers.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-11-2015, 11:14 AM
I had heard that you guy's lost your hunting and trapping for them. That's just not right. Hope you get it back and soon.

Wolfer
01-11-2015, 11:26 AM
I'm always tickled to see one of these on the ground.

Sweetpea
01-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Wolves are like Marlboro's...

Smoke a pack a day!!!

garandsrus
01-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Beautiful area! What is an average Wolf hide worth? Just curious, as I have no idea.

RugerFan
01-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Good deal! Keep whacking those deer munchers.

Dhammer
01-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Sickens me, how activisit, tree huggers and head guy or gal to wildlife programs appointed politically of course have no clue what they are doing to wildlife..or do they?

I was invited to deer hunt north Wi, years ago. My commander's buddy had 80 plus acres in crp and food plots backing up to national forest. They were tagging multiple monsters a year. Everyone had lots of pics of deer they passed on too . I finally lost my little honey hole in IL. I went to take em up on offer. Only to find out, no one had bagged a deer in 4 years let alone seen a single deer. Wolves wiped out the herd.

Another buddy had offered to take me up to the UP, to his little slice of heaven after he got clearance from his buddy who owned property. He also had grouse? So we were going to deer and bird hunt. Again a guy with a large chunk of property who didn't hunt and only one who got to hunt was my buddy. Landowner told him he had not seen deer or sign of deer in a long while and heard grouse were Mia too since Wolf population took off. Buddy, went up there and didn't see a single deer track or grouse in two weeks of hunting. But lots of wolf sign. He gave up after three more years of not even seeing sign of deer or birds.

IL, just moved to protect them, cats and bear. Saying IL can support healthy populations and live in peace with them. Uggg my home state and just sickens me knowing what will happen to local wildlife populations.

We recently moved to AZ, and have a ton of elk locally. Deer population is downright sad. Nothing being done to increase deer count, but every other damn AZ update seems to be about wolf reintroduction. Our area is slotted for em too.Yeah, deer hunting is going to be hard enough, but keeping their heads up rear, the Elk will soon go the way of the deer. Haven't Elk hunted before so will be a new experience and a short lived one seems like it. I've done a lot of upland hunting out west. Talking with farmers and ranchers over the years, for ones old enough to remember wolves, they had nothing postive to say. That was before reintroduction was even started. Of course, now they'd like to see em all dead again. Just a shame hunters and rest of wildlife takes a back seat in these instances.

Awesome pics and congrats.

Plate plinker
01-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Way to go, hope you can get one every year. Or get more than one for that matter.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-11-2015, 12:20 PM
As a fellow NW Montanan. let me say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alrighty
01-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Thank you and best wishes on your continued success.

Blacksmith
01-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Where the deer are all gone, just stake out a liberal as bait. Solves two problems attracts predators and teaches liberals the error of their ways.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Blacksmith,
We are not allowed to use poison!!!:bigsmyl2:

BrassMagnet
01-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Where the deer are all gone, just stake out a liberal as bait. Solves two problems attracts predators and teaches liberals the error of their ways.

If their stated goals are actually their real goals, I have not seen any evidence they can learn.

Rick Hodges
01-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Good Job...I deer hunt the western UP of Michigan...between hard winters and the wolves....deer hunting has been difficult, to say the least. Kill everyone you can.

shoot-n-lead
01-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Good job!

str8shot426
01-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Here in WI, it used to to be that all my buds went north for the week of deer season. Come home with a pile of deer. Not so much these last few years.
Now, everyone hunts near home. Theres more deer in the southern part of the state.
The wis dnr did open a season on wolves here, but i don't know much about it.

waksupi
01-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Good work, Charlie!
It looks like you didn't get nearly as much snow up there as I did. 30" here the past week.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-11-2015, 02:11 PM
That last storm only gave us at the house 15" alot more up the hill.

trapper9260
01-11-2015, 02:28 PM
That is a nice wolf.This state dose not have any season in it,but have seen 3 of them since I live here go by the house.

leadman
01-11-2015, 02:30 PM
dhammer, I have been hunting elk here in Az for about 30 years. I definitely see a change for the worse in the hunting opportunities for elk. Deer never has been like Michigan where I'm from.
Too many people now on atvs ignoring the rules has really changed how the elk travel. I have had atvs circling the berm by the water holes looking for tracks! This is during the hunt. Also followed a atv track thru the center of the woods for over a mile. Too many stories like this.

I haven't seen a wolf in the wild and hope I never do. Did get a notice that AZGFD is going to sue the Feds over the wolf reintroduction.

To the OP, keep up the good work. That wolf is a beautiful thing to look at, especially in that condition.

starnbar
01-11-2015, 03:05 PM
The wolf population is nonexistent here in fl but I got yotes right on my property and even have em stop and look at me when I am mowing on the tractor. My son got one in the front yard a while back but the turkeys and deer are less and less every year. The only thing that is increasing is the hogs guess that trying to get a little one from an old sow is just too much work for a yote.

shtur
01-11-2015, 04:08 PM
You saved more than several elk and over a hundred deer. Thank you.

Col4570
01-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Anybody know if a Wolf can be reared from young as a Dog.Would make a fine dog if tameable.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-11-2015, 04:27 PM
4570 This one is about as tame as they come!!! :-)

John Allen
01-11-2015, 04:45 PM
That is one nice wolf.

fouronesix
01-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Anybody know if a Wolf can be reared from young as a Dog.Would make a fine dog if tameable.
The answer is no. It took 10-30 thousand years and many thousands of generations to domesticate them. Rearing one won't do it. The "wolf" and wolf-hybrid rescue facilities are full of them from folks who had the same thought. "Designer" pets for stupid people of the first order.

waksupi
01-11-2015, 06:08 PM
A friend had one, totally untrustworthy. Some people down by Missoula had one, and it took an arm clean off of a boy.

MtGun44
01-11-2015, 06:18 PM
Good news. Those eating machines ruined an expensive (well, for me) elk hunt in
the Teton Nat'l Forest near Yellowstone a few years back. Outfitters had been pulling
lots of really nice elk out of that country for 40 years, sons of the original guy running things.

We saw lots of wolf tracks, a few moose tracks, a very few mule deer tracks, a couple
of live mulies and not a single elk or track in 7 days of hard horseback hunting. We were
in snow much of the time, so great for finding tracks. We were in the saddle from sunup
to dark each day, covered almost 40 miles one day - a very hard one, and nearly that
most days. I never knew you could cover so much country in a day on a horse and went
places I had never taken a horse before, extremely steep country.

The wolves had killed most and run the rest out into the flat barley and wheat country
west of there.

Kill them all, I say.

Bill

Firebricker
01-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Nicely done ! Congratulations.

dualsport
01-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Good job! That is quite an accomplishment. From what I've read they are very difficult to get. Thanks for making my day. I agree, kill 'em all. SSS

swheeler
01-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Excellent Charlie, my favorite kind of wolf!

MT Gianni
01-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Nice going, How far did he drag before he stopped and what did he hang up on? Was it the deadfall near your pictures. That will make a wall look nice.

JWFilips
01-11-2015, 07:49 PM
From A guy out back East;...... That is Scary Huge! So They are that big?

WILCO
01-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Good work, Charlie!

Heck yeah! Bravo!

DCM
01-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Warms my heart and puts a smile on my face to see that!

Plate plinker
01-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Wonder when some lefty wanders the west and wonders where are all the animals. Then gets the government to spend a ship ton o money to study why?

KLR
01-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Nice work! I need to start working on the coyotes around here...

Idaho Mule
01-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Good news. Those eating machines ruined an expensive (well, for me) elk hunt in
the Teton Nat'l Forest near Yellowstone a few years back. Outfitters had been pulling
lots of really nice elk out of that country for 40 years, sons of the original guy running things.

We saw lots of wolf tracks, a few moose tracks, a very few mule deer tracks, a couple
of live mulies and not a single elk or track in 7 days of hard horseback hunting. We were
in snow much of the time, so great for finding tracks. We were in the saddle from sunup
to dark each day, covered almost 40 miles one day - a very hard one, and nearly that
most days. I never knew you could cover so much country in a day on a horse and went
places I had never taken a horse before, extremely steep country.

The wolves had killed most and run the rest out into the flat barley and wheat country
west of there.

Kill them all, I say.

Bill MtGun44 has it right, that's what all the do-gooders have done. Hey Charlie, how does that sucker smell?? I wouldn't know for sure, but I have heard tell that they stink bad. JW

crowbuster
01-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Very nice. We call and kill a lot of coyotes here and have for yrs. Wolves and bobcat are very high on my list. Kudos sir.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-11-2015, 11:08 PM
He took the drag about 600 yards, got hung up 4 times the log in the pic was his last hang up. They smell but I do alot of trapping so it is not a bother.

Mod42
01-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Great job Charlie, we have lots of them devils here in northwest Wisconsin. Used to have lots of deer, but not many anymore. I saw pictures from a trail cam that a fellow had put on a wolf den with pups. The pups ate over seventy fawns before they moved out of the den.

MaryB
01-12-2015, 12:19 AM
I have seen more than a few here in Minnesota. Tree huggers are trying to get the wolf hunt banned again and the allowed kill is only 125 with a population of more than 1600 wolves in the state. Get enough hides tanned they make a great bed cover! Super warm. I have 6 coyote hides that I am using for one, lining inside with hair off deer hide.

Three44s
01-12-2015, 12:34 AM
In the Eighties, I drove across Idaho, Utah, Wy, and Nebraska and beyond.

In those days, it was amazing how many road kills there were.

My wife and I went over to West Yellowstone for a few days at the end of the Park season at Yellowstone last October.

To go there, we stayed in McCall for two nights and then went south and cut off before Boise and crossed the mountains north of there, came through Stanley ID and down the Salmon River to Chalis. Dropped down into the desert around Arco and spent the night in Idaho Falls.

As we traversed Idaho on the way to W. Yellowstone ......... we saw one or two deer ....... right at the edge or in a small town here and there ....... but NEVER ...... NEVER in the wild.

Our first day in Yellowstone park, we ended the day up at Mammouth ....... it's just a spell south of Gardner MT. There, right in the village are the elk. Laying amoungst the buildings eating the lawn grass. Right outside on the SE side ..... are the less domesticated elk .... very close to the same village.

There were pittiful few other elk we saw around the Park and some number of buffalo ...... and not one single deer!

The second day we drove over to Yellowstone lake and then south out of the park and into Grand Teton park. Out to Jackson Wy .... over the 8400 foot pass...... I must say, I did not know that pavement could be stuck on such a steep grade! Whew! .......... back into Idaho and up to West Yellowstone for our final night there ......... again, NO ELK, NO DEER and a few buffalo. We saw NOTHING in the so called Elk refuge north of Jackson WY.

The next morning, at daybreak I heard the wolves at the "center" right there in town howling for the first time. I told my wife ........ see: They are celebrating our departure ...... they took one look at me and knew ...... we weren't "friends"!

We left W. Yellowstone and went back to Rexburg Id. and cut over the valley that leads upto Salmon Id. and went up and over the top back into Montana. Came down to Missoula MT by way of Darby and Hamilton. Back our Communistic state of WA by way of I90 the next morning.

In all those miles ........ and I mean MILES ....... we saw one road kill.

Anyone that thinks the invasive Northern RM wolf is doing good work is crazy as a bed bug!

Best regards and keep them wolves nervous!

Three 44s

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-12-2015, 12:53 AM
OK Charlie,
time to go get the other 4 you're allowed :D

MaryB
01-12-2015, 12:57 AM
But the greenies think they are so cool to look at... yeah like they get close enough. Hear them yes if you get deep enough into the forest areas.

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2015, 10:54 AM
But the greenies think they are so cool to look at... yeah like they get close enough. Hear them yes if you get deep enough into the forest areas.

And at that point the greenies become their next meal.

If they can stomach them without getting VERY sick.

captaint
01-12-2015, 11:14 AM
A few years ago, I saw a program where a DNR type guy in either Colorado or Wyoming, I forget which, was going on about how good it was gonna be for the elk population to have wolves in the area.... I wonder what kind of tune he's singing now ?? Heck, he could be out of work !!

Boz330
01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
dhammer, I have been hunting elk here in Az for about 30 years. I definitely see a change for the worse in the hunting opportunities for elk. Deer never has been like Michigan where I'm from.
Too many people now on atvs ignoring the rules has really changed how the elk travel. I have had atvs circling the berm by the water holes looking for tracks! This is during the hunt. Also followed a atv track thru the center of the woods for over a mile. Too many stories like this.

I haven't seen a wolf in the wild and hope I never do. Did get a notice that AZGFD is going to sue the Feds over the wolf reintroduction.

To the OP, keep up the good work. That wolf is a beautiful thing to look at, especially in that condition.

I hated those ATVs when I was guiding over in NM. They are great for getting around but they do nothing for your odds if you are hunting from them. More that once I've watched elk take off in the opposite direction from the sound of one of those things coming.

Bob