PDA

View Full Version : GB molds being cut?

Lead melter
02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
While scanning throught the Midway USA and Grafs websites yesterday I noticed that just about all the Lee products were out of stock and on backorder.

Could this mean they are working furiously at cutting our group buy molds?

Well, let us only hope brothers.:?:

brshooter
02-22-2008, 12:22 PM
RIGHT ! Chances are, if they are like other turn-coat US companies, they are packing up the mechines for an other third world country where they pay extremely low wages.

Scrounger
02-22-2008, 12:45 PM
No, it just means Midway and other catalog stores don't believe in having a lot of money invested in stock setting on shelves in warehouses. They try to predict how fast an item sells and they try to have incoming stock match up exactly with outgoing sales. They haven't perfected the system yet.

Bass Ackward
02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Well, it ain't only Lee molds and it ain't only Midway. Seems there is renewed interest in cast again.

Wonder why? :grin:

Ed K
02-22-2008, 01:19 PM
No, it just means Midway and other catalog stores don't believe in having a lot of money invested in stock setting on shelves in warehouses.

These days it is not uncommon for retailers to make their suppliers own the inventory and only pay them when the item is sold retail. Solves the cost of inventory problem/bad for their suppliers though.

dmftoy1
02-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Over on THR there's been a pretty steady streams of guys "asking about casting". (every inquiry earns them an invite to this site. :) )

I think they're probably sold out because people are trying to figure out ways to shoot and still save money. Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

fixit
02-24-2008, 05:25 PM
forgive my ignorance, but what's THR?

mtgrs737
02-24-2008, 06:25 PM
"Just in time" customer supplier technique, sorta works unless you have a large change in demand. Having a supplier own the stock of a retailer is another sorta works thing that is being tried, what suppiers soon find out is that they must raise their prices to the retailer to cover the costs of inventory. It works for the retailer until he can't get enough product quick enough to suit him. There is no "Free Lunch" (unless of course the government is involved).

Looking at the price of J-word bullets it is no suprise that casting is becoming more popular.
A lot of retailers do their inventory in Jan. and allow their inventory to shrink until the inventory counts are over so a large amount of orders for product can hit a small company like Lee and overwhlem them.

mold maker
02-24-2008, 06:42 PM
You can't make a dime selling something you haven't got and can't get. Instead you are paying for advertisement that only frustrates you customers. Not having inventory bought at yesterdays price to sell in an ever increasing market is poor management.
Sooner or later we will have the worlds supply of boolets being produced in China for slightly more than material cost, and sold at even higher retail. The brass we buy today is already to that point.

Nueces
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
'Taint ignorance - you just didn't know. :-D

forgive my ignorance, but what's THR?

I believe the reference is to the forum, The High Road, http://www.thehighroad.org/

Welcome here, by the way. The knowledge, experience and courtesy of discourse on this board is disturbed only by the occasional random fulmination. For some reason, these heated discussions tend to die down pretty quickly here. Adults are in charge. :drinks:

Please hang around and contribute.

Mark

dmftoy1
02-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Yup, he nailed it! (Sorry for the abbreviation!)

Have a good one,
Dave

DLCTEX
02-24-2008, 11:37 PM
I was in Abilene, Tx. today and went to Academy to try to buy 25 cal. bullets, they don't sell reloading stuff. I was in Sweetwater yesterday at Wally World. They had some reloading products at fair, not great pirces, no 25 cal., no IMR 7828. Did get 1000 LRM primers (CCI) at 29.97. Was told that only two places in Abilene had reloading stuff, population 120,000, but there was a gun show going on, maybe I could get some there. Entry fee $15? I passed. From what I can gather the license fees and hassel has put many small dealers out of business. A local man who had an FFL was recently audited, things were mostly OK, but he is letting his license expire, too much hassel and fear of consequences of an unintended slipup. I have to go 50 miles in either of three directions to get reloading supplies, or get on the internet and pay shipping and maybe hazmat. All because beaureaucrats have made ill advised laws to try to curb crime(they say), but no one can prove or even make a pretty good case that it ever prevented one crime. Oh well, rant over. DALE