PDA

View Full Version : length of seat

6.5marinediesel
01-10-2015, 07:08 PM
hey every one,
gotta start off saying that I'm a new member here and new to reloading.

I've loaded up a few hundred rounds of .45 acp. shot them everything worked great. well a buddy of mine that's big into reloading and casting his own stuff gave me a few cast hollow points of his to load. I loaded up a few and seated the led cast to 2.70" total length. The same over all length I seated the LRN I shot previously. This maybe a little difficult to explain, but the cast is not rounded off as much has the ones you would buy. So when I loaded them in the magazine they would get stuck and not feed. As if they were to long. Now I could seat the bullet more but I'm worried that if I do I may be changing pressure. Could this happen? The books obviously show's a maximum length. what I'm wondering, is there also a minimum or (safe) seat length before you start to change any pressure?

pjames32
01-10-2015, 07:11 PM
I'd try shorten them a bit. If ur not max loaded u should be ok on pressure. Look at the manuals. Lynn cast bullet manual should have a bullet close to what u have. Work up the load slowly
PJ

6.5marinediesel
01-10-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm at starting load. so according to what powder I'm using I still have a whole grain before I reach max load. So a few thousands should'nt hurt.

TXGunNut
01-10-2015, 07:29 PM
The 45acp headspaces on the case mouth, different boolits will be loaded to different overall lengths. My "rule of thumb" is to have a thumbnail's width of the full-diameter (bore riding) section of the boolit above the case mouth, a good taper crimp is important as well. Do a search on "plunk test" for more details, Uncle Nick illustrates the concept quite well.

w5pv
01-11-2015, 12:01 PM
After loading I always do the plunk test and resize if they don't pass.

6.5marinediesel
01-11-2015, 06:26 PM
I had to Google plunk test. lol thanks for that knowledge. Guys... everything looks good

captaint
01-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Just as a point of interest, my Wilson mags and, I think in the Les Baer book, the "recommended max" is 1.250. Based on that, I don't go much over and as w5pv stated, the plunk test is the bottom line for OAL. Seems like, after plunking, the rounds don't go much over 1.250 anyhow... Mike