PDA

View Full Version : Machine a NEW Lyman mould handle

Mike W1
01-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Knew I'd be unhappy just from the pictures but bought a new set for my Lyman DC's. Could tell by the pix that the handles were longer than I liked but figured that's nothing I could handle. However the end that holds the moulds are about 1-3/8" longer than the old style handles were and that'll change the balance from what I'm used to.

I know NOTHING about machining tools. What kind of an operation would it be to grind/mill the flat part back further and drill new mounting holes? And some idea of the expense involved would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Doc Highwall
01-10-2015, 09:07 PM
It sounds like you bought the handles for the four cavity moulds not the two cavity moulds.

Mike W1
01-10-2015, 09:51 PM
It sounds like you bought the handles for the four cavity moulds not the two cavity moulds.

No, they are the new style for 1 or 2 cavity moulds. Remind me of the ones I had on a Lachmiller mould years ago and I didn't like them either. Actually I have 3 sets that I like of the old style but had some Cabelas points to use. Knew what I was getting but that doesn't mean I have to like em'.

Chill Wills
01-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Not trying to be a wise guy........
Hand tools:
File
drill
center punch and hammer
vice
Elbow grease
Quicker than the drive to take them to someone and then pay on top of that.

rush1886
01-11-2015, 09:16 AM
Not trying to be a wise guy........
Hand tools:
File
drill
center punch and hammer
vice
Elbow grease
Quicker than the drive to take them to someone and then pay on top of that.

and, just maybe, a hacksaw

happy7
01-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Some people are bound to like the new ones. How about offering someone a trade for an old set on the swappin forum?

Mike W1
01-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Some people are bound to like the new ones. How about offering someone a trade for an old set on the swappin forum?
Wish I'd thought of that. They're now modified via the grinder and a lot of elbow grease with a file. Haven't cut off the extra length though on the mould end as that's not gonna be in my way.