PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman 44 devastator mold review

Hickok
01-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Results of casting with a new Lyman 44 Devastator I just received.

ACWW + 2 % tin

As dropped diameter= .4312"-.4325"

As dropped weight = 262 gr

Casting the hp was not no trouble as I regularly cast .58 cal hollow base minies from pure lead, and these can be difficult as times until you gain experience.

I heat the hp pin with propane torch and boolits very quickly dropped nice and filled out from a pre heated mold.

The Lyman mold dropped boolits out nice and easy on opening. Gaschecks snap on snug.

Very good mold in my opinion.

Shuz
01-09-2015, 11:16 AM
That is a very good design! I am fortunate to have 2 of them;one is the standard,as you describe it, and the other is a PB design, achieved by machining out the gas check shank. I also have the two Devastator pins which came with each mould, and a home made 1/8" diameter pin that fits either mould. For most of my .44 mag revolver shooting with the 429640, I use the PB design. For the .44 mag carbine and my 444 Marlin's, I use the GC design. If I want maximum expansion, I use the devastator pin. If I want more penetration, I use the smaller pin. What's not to like?!

Beau Cassidy
01-09-2015, 12:49 PM
I have been very pleased with it as well. With my alloy it isn't a deep penetrator but man, oh man, does it forevermore cause some damage! The fron usually blows off and just the base penetrates. I ladle cast mine and don't get too many defects in the base of the hollowpoint.

kevmc
01-09-2015, 04:04 PM
I have been very pleased with it as well. With my alloy it isn't a deep penetrator but man, oh man, does it forevermore cause some damage! The fron usually blows off and just the base penetrates. I ladle cast mine and don't get too many defects in the base of the hollowpoint.

What alloy is that?

fredj338
01-09-2015, 05:16 PM
I like mine too, but made it better IMO. I had Erik of HPMS make me an extra pin to cast a cup point for higher vel impacts. Then removed the gc, just not needed IMO for a bullet running less than 1300fps. The finished bullet weighs about 275gr cast 20-1 or 25-1. With the original pin, it goes closer to 250gr & frags badly over 1000fps. That makes it a good SD bullet in a 3"-4" gun. This is an early pic before having the gc removed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/44-272.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fredj338/media/44-272.jpg.html)

WHITETAIL
01-10-2015, 10:43 AM
I also have a 44 dev. mold.
And yes They are awsum!:holysheep