PDA

View Full Version : I saw an actual good looking ruger american yesterday

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Found a place fairly local that does camo dipping and brought my Kimber montana stock to them to do. He had an 06 American on the wall that he had dipped the whole gun. Ive always thought they were but ugly guns but I have to admit this one looked sharp but at a 180 bucks to do the whole gun your probably edging close to what a 77 would cost. granddaughter allways is telling me she wants a pink camo gun so I brought her 243 stock along too to have done in muddy girl camo for her birthday.

CastingFool
01-09-2015, 09:11 AM
You need to post some pics!

Artful
01-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Wow, that muddy girl camo is a busy pattern
http://www.montanahydroimage.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/muddygirlrifle1.jpg

RKJ
01-09-2015, 11:10 PM
Wow, that muddy girl camo is a busy pattern
http://www.montanahydroimage.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/muddygirlrifle1.jpg

But, I bet my Grand Daughter would love it.

Magana559
01-10-2015, 02:30 AM
The only reason I want to dip my American is to protect it from rust. I can't tell you how many times I was caught in the rain and morning/evening dew. Bore is in excellent condition but the blueing has become splotchy.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2015, 09:27 AM
I think mine will too. Most girls especially young ones aren't into fine walnut;)
But, I bet my Grand Daughter would love it.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2015, 09:30 AM
talked to the guy there about durability. Truck gun was the term I used. What he told me is this . He said dipping alone is pretty durable. For the average guy that just hunts with his gun and is proud enough to not treat it miserably it will hold up. He said if you want a real truck gun that you can toss behind the seat without even a case and never worry about it rusting. (the parts that are coated) then he puts a top coat of duracote matte on them. I had him to it to both guns. I tend to treat my guns as tools not works of art! It was only 5 bucks more to have the duracoat top coat vs his normal top coat so money sure wasn't an issue.
The only reason I want to dip my American is to protect it from rust. I can't tell you how many times I was caught in the rain and morning/evening dew. Bore is in excellent condition but the blueing has become splotchy.

Three44s
01-11-2015, 02:36 AM
Mine is good lookin' ...........

........... on paper .......... the place I judge them all on.

Best regards and good shooting!

Three 44s

Magana559
01-11-2015, 03:00 AM
Definitely looking at a ceracoat/duracoat. My rifles get wet from time to time. I don't neglect them but I don't mind laying it down on wet grass/tree to get the shot off.

warf73
01-13-2015, 08:40 AM
I put duracoat (home kit) on my Remington 870 duck gun (flat black). Its put in the hull of the boat and it get to jiggel and vibrate for just over a mile each direction. There is no signs of wear from the ride in the hull, only slight wear on the mag tube (not threw the coating just noticable discoloring). As any ducker knows its wet fallowed by more wet even when its not raining. Retriever comes back into the boat and shakes off well your gun is wet lol. Needless to say not only does the coating wear great in what I would call harsh handling, I've not seen a spec of rust on any parts were the coating was applied.
Over all after 7 years of being battered in the field it still looks ..... well like a plastic black gun. Well worth the prep time and cleaning to apply it propperly.